Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical OK, What do I do now?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alanp561, Aug 20, 2021.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20210820_063950.jpg I'm sure that this has been covered somewhere but I'm only on my second cup of coffee and what's left of my brain hasn't kicked in yet. Master cylinder is where it has to be, the T-fitting is installed with the correct crush washers and the brake light switch is in the right place. The question is, where do I put the 10# residual valve? Do I plug one side of the T, add the valve to the other side and T off of the valve or am I making this harder than it has to be?

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They usually go inside the master cylinder, as part of the master cylinder.

3. alchemy

alchemy

If you are doing it that way, with one residual valve for the whole car, couldn't you use a single sided fitting instead of a double sided fitting? Then you have one less place to possibly leak.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. millersgarage

millersgarage

um, if running two lines, buy 2 valves if running one line, buy 1 valve and 1 block off.

ClarkH likes this.

5. clem

clem

re post 1 : I doubt whether there is one inside that style of master cylinder.
    re post 2 : this is good advice, - or as you suggest, plug one outlet.

Personally, I have a similar or same master cylinder and the same tee fitting, and one line goes to front brakes and one to the rear. Drum brakes and no residual valves.
    After having several of those hydraulic brake pressure fittings fail every year or two, I threw it out and went with a mechanical brake light switch.
    A lot of information on here about them, - general consensus was only the HD ( Harley Davidson ? ) one was reliable.

6. brading

brading

First I would check up whether the M/C has built in residual valve. If it has take 1 pipe off of the fitting in the picture to the rear and 1 pipe to the front. If it has not do as " alchemy " says put a two way fitting in the M/C take 1 pipe to the R/V then put a 2 way fitting on the other side of the R/V. I would also make up a bracket to hold the R/V firmly.

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to everyone, @brading, @clem, @millersgarage, @alchemy and @Rusty O'Toole who posted. I doubt seriously that stock 1948 Ford master cylinders had a built in residual valve and I wasn't sure what I'd run into running a valve on both the front and back lines.

8. hepme

hepme

I probably missed something in all this, but on my 40 chevy my MC is under the floor. My resid valve is an inline version, forget who i got it from, but just put it inline anywhere you want on the brake line. I bought some 6" lines with the flares/fittings and plumbed it up, easy.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I thought all drum brake cars before 1976 had a residual pressure valve in the master cylinder. It was necessary to keep a little pressure on the wheel cylinder cups to prevent leakage. This would not do for disc brakes as it would prevent the brake from retracting.
    1976 up Chrysler products had a new type wheel cylinder that did not need residual pressure. I don't know if other cars had this feature.

In this illustration you can see the residual pressure valve 2178. It goes in the end of the master cylinder.
    [​IMG]

Here is what one looks like. It is the silver dingus with the 6 holes, below the black rubber boot.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  10. Dingus! I love when people talk technical!

11. If you have springs in your wheel cylinders do you even need a pressure valve? If no springs then use a valve.

12. BJR

BJR

Those masters have the valve inside them already if its a stock type replacement. I have installed 3 of them this week at work and they work fine right out of the box .

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

An old friend used the term Dingus, all the time. He told about welding overhead, and didn't have his shirt buttoned all the way up. Well, a dingleberry, went down his shirt, and traveled down, burning him all the way. He was dancing around, adjusting his clothes, and it wound up in his shorts, burning the head of his Dingus !

14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, thanks. I'll try your way first. When I first started this, I was having a hard time believing that a brand new Chinese master cylinder from NAPA would have the valve already in it.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it was a under floor mounted master cylinder from the get go you shouldn't have an issue as it will have that residual aka Check valve in it. I've never had a single piston master cylinder apart that didn't have one either under floor or firewall mounted.

alanp561 likes this.
  16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That was the change they made in 1976, springs to hold the cups tight against the cylinder.

17. Well, that explains everything!

18. clem

clem

thank you.- I have learned something today !
    Would the originals have had a residual valve in them ?

19. Put that sucker together Alan, bleed it all out and get you a good pedal. If you come out the next day and the pedal hits the floor for the first few pumps, do like was said up there above and get you a couple of 6" lines to come out of the master and into the rpv's, yeah I'd run one on each line, you can't run one between the master and the T because your brake lights will stay on ;):D

alanp561 and stillrunners like this.
  20. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

yes they did. The easiest way to check in to poke a toothpick into the outlet of the master cylinder. It will stop at the residual valve. If it doesn't stop there is no valve.

21. brading

brading

" enjenjo " That another good and simple idea that I will have to make a note of. :cool: