Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hambers on Route 66

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vinfab, Aug 13, 2021.

1. vinfab

vinfab

My son and my best buddies are helping me cross off a bucket list wish. We are leaving for Chicago in September to start a Route 66 road trip. We won't be able to do the whole trip this year and the goal is to pick up next year from where we stop. We have 10 days and think we will probably end up in Oklahoma before having to return home, so no this is not a blast down the highway just to say you have done it. Think more of a leisurely vacation with lots of sight seeing.

I have lots of printed information on Route 66 but I am looking for a more personal recommendations on what not to miss. So HAMB members who live near 66 or maybe travelled that section, what is it, we should make time to visit. Open to anything, but car related an obvious plus. Thanks guys.

Tim, Ron Funkhouser, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

In Oklahoma, don’t miss the round barn or the motorcycle museum near it. Blue whale in Tulsa. There are other66 museums here also. Maybe some one will chime in!

Bones

3. egads

egads

Lebanon Mo. has a Rt 66 museum. Halltown Mo. has Gary Turner's (RIP Gary ) Gay Parita. Right around the corner from Gay Parita is Spencer Mo. Still has a section of the original concrete road there. Check out some Roamin Rich video's on youtube, he has lot's of info on Rt.66.

4. I’m not far from the round barn in Arcadia, OK. When in September might you be in Oklahoma? I just happen to be hosting an event the last Saturday in the month that will likely have a couple hundred old cars driving on part of Route 66 from El Reno to Weatherford. They are also having a 95th birthday party for Route 66 that day in Weatherford with some events going on that day. Otherwise, there is definitely all the normal things to check out. I have a buddy just east of Arcadia that set up a pretty cool Route 66 stop. He is a hot rodder too. Anyway, the motorcycle museum mentioned above is definitely worth your time too.

Also, depending on how far off Route 66 you want to venture, I know of some other cool car related stuff in Oklahoma you might want to check out.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021

5. I live at Arizona mile marker 71 if you're in the neighborhood. PM me.
    I have welders and tools if needed.
    Terry aka dirt t

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I did the route a few years ago and posted a thread here. The best advice I can give you while on your adventure is live in the moment. Enjoy!

Lil32, vinfab and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. dwollam

dwollam

There are books out there for Route 66. We did 66 some years back. Bought a book that really helped except we started from the west and went east, backwards from the book! Made it harder and some circling back but really helped.

Dave

Lil32 and vinfab like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I think I had the best "feel" for the drive when I was in the 40 LaSalle....so if you can drive a stockish 1940s-50s car, you'll see the road more as it was back then. And be sure that the motels you stay in, have a metal door key.

have fun!

9. vinfab

vinfab

Thanks to all who responded, some great suggestion's. Guthriesmith, your Route 66 birthday cruise is exactly the kind of sidetrip that I am looking for and is near the end of our trip, and not something you would find in any book. Thank you and may contact you for further details. Squirrel, your suggestion of a 40's car for the trip is a good one and I have a 40 Chevy sedan. But I am afraid by the time we got a cooler and change of underwear for 4 guys for 9 days, we would be out of trunk room. Besides, when I dreamt up this idea, I decided to do Route 66, in my 66(off topic I know), when I am 66. Keep the ideas coming guys.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    alanp561, stillrunners, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  10. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Jibs, alanp561, vinfab and 1 other person like this.
  11. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

About 105 miles out of Chicago is Pontiac, Illinois. Not a big town but
    near the largest on your way to Springfield. There's the Pontiac museum
    (cars, not Native Americans), a big town square and a few restaurants/cafes
    to take a break in. Be prepared as the many local sites to be seen (as mentioned
    in books and stories) are no longer there, eliminated before the renewed interest
    in the mother road. Up until St. Louis it's kind of dry. If you're into history,
    Springfield has a very handsome capitol building and at least one Frank Lloyd
    Wright designed home.

By the way, as a first meal out of Chicago you might want to consider
    Del Rhea's Chicken Basket in Willowbrook, Il. Only about 20 miles out
    of the city, they're a quick jog off of I-55 at Kingery Highway (Rt 83).
    It's a Rt 66 institution in this area. Check out their website:

http://www.chickenbasket.com/

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  12. ken bogren

ken bogren

We've traveled Route 66 a few times and put some of the landmarks and points of interest on our website ... route66times.com

13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-19_4-54-42.png
    “The historic U.S. Route 66 (US-66, Route 66), also known as the Will Rogers Highway after Oklahoma native Will Rogers, ran from west to northeast across the state of Oklahoma, along the path now taken by Interstate 40 (I-40) and State Highway 66 (SH-66). It passed through Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and many smaller communities. West of the Oklahoma City area, it has been largely replaced by I-40; the few independent portions that are still state-maintained are now I-40 Business. However, from Oklahoma City northeast to Kansas, the bypassing I-44 is mostly a toll road, and SH-66 remains as a free alternate.”

Hello,

Several years ago, my wife and I were on an Eastcoast direction Summer tour of the USA. One main stop was the OKC, where she was born/lived for many years and time periods. We stayed two days and found several historic family sites that we knew from old photographs. On our way eastward, we had just finished a 3-4 hour drive due to roadway “slow downs” in the summer construction traffic moving toward the direction of St.Louis.

Normally it would take about 2 hours from OKC to the location, but the summer traffic was horrendous. We were ready for a snack break and the only restaurant over a major freeway was looming ahead. So, we had to stop. Normally, we don’t do McDonalds, but it was sort of an emergency. We needed a break after being on the road for 3 hours+.
    upload_2021-8-19_4-57-54.png
    The only named restaurant to be built over a major highway.

Jnaki

It was a well deserved rest as it was, we were not prepared for the massive, Summertime construction going on this highway to St. Louis. When we had stopped for gas, the attendant said it is always a Summertime tradition to repair roads and do construction that normally could not be done in the Winter/Spring time. So, there is a big slow down on a normal 65-75 MPH speed on the highway.

Eventually, our goal was St. Louis for a stopover. But, as the stoppages got worse, (10 miles in 1 hour then coming to a full stop in the hot weather.) We decided to get off near Fort Leonard Wood and get some refreshments. The roadway to St. Louis was blocked for the rest of the day. So, we made a decision to not go Eastward to the Chesapeake for some sailing and up to Maine for the rest of the summer.

My wife said that we needed to get out of that blockage and head back West to Kansas City. So, a different route to see the USA was selected and cancellations for the Eastward reservations had to be made. We selected a fast route to Kansas City and the rest of the Summer was relaxing and restful. Colorado/Utah National Parks, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Lake Powell, were all new destinations for our reworked trip.

NOTE: The Lake Powell water elevation was lower than normal, but there were still boats and houseboats all over the coves. This year, the water level is at an all time low and those houseboats are now being grounded. So, call ahead for notifications, if it is part of the western migration.

14. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

One of my daydreams is cruising 66, have a great time!

15. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might want to check this place out as well " BUCK ATOMS COSMIC CURIOS " in Tulsa.

Elcohaulic and vinfab like this.
  16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That restaurant was originally built as a a Howard’s-Johnson’s. Bones

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  17. Rand Man

Rand Man

I was on Route 66 today, through Springfield, Missouri. Then on I-44, you can still see stretches of the the old concrete road off to the side. Used to drive on that when I was a kid, mostly between Springfield and Oklahoma City. Most people don’t realize it wound it’s way through every little town along the way. Seemed like it was more like city streets with bits of highway in between.

egads, vinfab, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  18. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Well, if you guys decide to see the Blue Whale, I would recommend going into Claremore and seeing the Will Rogers Museum and the J.M. Davis Gun Museum.

egads, alanp561, vinfab and 2 others like this.
  19. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Good for you.This is on my list too.

hotrodharry2 and vinfab like this.
  20. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1963 Afton OK Highschool prom was held there. I played bass in [​IMG]the band for the dance.

21. I live off milage marker 71 rt66 Arizona
    I have welders and tools if needed.
    Oh, and a cold one in if needed.
    Terry aka dirt t

22. I know you mentioned September for this trip, but if you gave us specific dates, we might be able to point you to some things going on along your route that might not just be the normal stuff. :D

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’m about 8 miles south of Rt 66, in Mustang,OK.
    When you hit Yukon, that’s about where we are. If you need anything, give us a holler.

hotrodharry2, flyin-t, vinfab and 5 others like this.
  24. vinfab

vinfab

Guthriesmith, I don't know why I didn't think to include the dates. We are leaving on Friday evening after work on Sept 17th. and have to be back in the Sioux Falls area of SD by Monday the 27th. I am even breaking one of my own cardinal rules. For the past few years, this core group of ours has been making an highway trip at least once a year in one of our cars. The rules are simple, no Interstate Highway travel, and no franchised food. I am making an exception this time and we will take I 90 to Chicago and then Start the Route 66 tour. I can justify this because I know there are sections of 66 that are overlaid by our modern Highway system.

25. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck finding that "no franchised food" thing. There are still mom and dad restaurants out there but, you better throw some bologna, cheese, bread and a jar of peanut butter in the cooler for those long stretches where mom and dad died or moved on.

26. Sounds like my kind of trip trying to avoid highway travel and franchised food. I try to do the same especially when it comes to trying to find the local restaurants that I can't experience while at home. I sent you a pm as well with my phone number if you need anything or are looking for any advice for the Oklahoma part of your trip.

27. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I would imagine you'd be taking a short ride on I-55 out of Chicago heading south
    (it's not considered west), that's why I mentioned Del Rhea's Chicken Basket as a
    restaurant stop. You have your ride mapped out, I'm sure, so there's nothing for
    me to add other than I'm ten miles south of I-55 and can be prepped with tools
    if needed, and wouldn't mind meeting you guys if time allowed. The last thing I
    want to do is hold you up.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    CornfieldPerformance and vinfab like this.
  28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have a great time!!!!!!!!! Now at 88, Been there done that with Bud Bryan & Tom Medley in 1972. Rod & Custom editor Bud Bryan trip to Detroit Nats 1972 001.jpg

Attached Files:

29. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in New Mexico so you probably won't make it this far, this time...
    We used to take US66 to Chicago in my youth... trivia...US stands for Unified System....(of numbering major highways)
    The Museum of Science and Industry is awesome and they have a German U-boat that was captured in WWII. It was the one that had the Enigma machine and the code book but you may not have the time to hang out in Chicago.
    The first Holiday Inn is in Springfield Illinois and worth a stay. They had a A-400 Model A in the lobby and the look and feel of when it opened. You can even part with some quarters and get a vibrating bed treatment. The Lincoln Museum is there and I thoroughly enjoyed it! St. Louis, is newer, but the Great Archway National Park is the Gateway to the West. I remember going there in 1969 on a 'Senior Trip'
    I'd think that you would like to stop in Arcadia, OK at Soda Pops...600+ flavors of soda and good souvenirs for the folks at home.
    I am more familiar with the Western part of the highway so when you get to that leg in the future, I'll offer to meet up and travel along and show you a US66 FAP marker on a 1927 alignment that is just a half a mile from our house.
    Safe travels and if it looks interesting, stop and look....when are you going to be back?

Jibs, hotrodharry2, egads and 3 others like this.
  30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That soda pop shop has some great flavors of pop! Even has a special flavor of ranch dressing soda pop for us Southern guys!

Bones

winduptoy, vinfab and alanp561 like this.