Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine forensics/ catastrophic failure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Aug 18, 2021.

1. So guys, help me out here.
    How many different scenarios can explain debris on top of the 1/2 pistons with intact cylinder walls and debris in the intake.
    Debris on 5,2&8 #3 is destroyed. #1,7, 4&6 clean.
    Dual plain intake and debris on right/upper plane.

2C9B742A-A750-457E-A9C6-650D20F0A119.jpeg F38413D0-4C52-4FC5-AC68-0AD57F8AD420.jpeg A695CCDB-5ADE-4986-8815-5B50AE9E1A77.jpeg C35B3D55-A22C-49E2-8EF3-ACD4F1A625D4.jpeg 39A23E3B-4949-4C54-93FB-DE5302883FF2.jpeg

Is it possible the #3 cylinder scattered debris back thru the intake valve and distributed it thru the intake and then into the other cylinders. #3 intake valve had broken pushrod and closed intake valve.

Please Give me some more ideas other than the one I’ve got.

jimmy six likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Do you know where it came from? Or what it is/isn’t? Or is it all from the bad piston?

3. Joe H

Joe H

In my racing days, my 455 Pontiac dropped a screw out of the bottom of a Quadrajet at 5700 rpm. I modified the intake so the base screws were exposed. The screw was a standard Rochester screw just over 1" long. It went threw 5 different cylinders before busting the block in #3 hole. There were thread marks in the quench area of both heads where the screw bounced around. I found the threaded portion of the screw stuck in the piston, never found the head of the screw. It sure is possible to cross back through the intake, I have seen it what it can do!

VANDENPLAS and egads like this.
  4. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

That is probably what happened. I busted a piston top on one cylinder. Pieces of it ended up closing the spark plug gap on two other cylinders.
    Late model engines with plastic intakes need the intake replaced after such a failure because you don't know what may be lurking in them.

Truckdoctor Andy and egads like this.

5. sdluck

sdluck

I asked you before did this engine flatten a cam?

6. No

7. lake_harley

lake_harley

If my thinking is correct, those are the cylinders that are common to one side of your dual plane manifold. Once #3 let loose, as it would appear in your photos, debris from #3 was pulled into the other cylinders mentioned during their intake strokes through the shared passage of the intake. My guess would be that the broken pushrod might have occurred after the initial piston failure.

Now, what caused #3 to let loose in the first place is another matter.

Maybe you've already had thoughts that were similar to what I described, or feel I'm way off base. Either way, that's what it sounds and looks like to me.

Lynn

X-cpe, egads, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lost a valve or hung one up. Busted piston and parts up the intake where a valve once was.. sleeve it. bore it. Run it.

egads, ottoman and Speed Gems like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, stuff goes everywhere! I dropped a valve in a 454, only broke off part of a valve guide, but there was damage on the tops of every piston.

VANDENPLAS and ottoman like this.
  10. I’m having a hard time seeing all of that fine debris (and there’s ALOT) coming back up thru the intake. I don’t know exactly when the pushrod for #3 intake broke leaving the valve closed either.

11. Was that a intake valve ? And leaving it open?

#3 blew up, pushrod broken and valve closed.

12. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, it was an intake, and it was stuck open.

But under conditions like that, things work in strange and mysterious ways

VANDENPLAS and ottoman like this.
  13. little different angle to show the amount of debris that’s traveling thru #3 valve back thru the intake and threw the other intake valves.
    4 cylinders are clean, one destroyed and three are full of shit.
    C1587C85-57E9-433D-BE6C-D2C98514EDC9.jpeg 093ACA54-8152-4CC2-A0ED-0B8CFCDB2274.jpeg B801DD46-A7C9-405A-8811-4111BC50DA0F.jpeg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I see the cylinder with a whole in it has no piston left. where is it? Back in the 90's my dad built a 383 Chevy with a set of Keith Black hypereutectic pistons, one broke around the skirt and the rod beat a hole in the cylinder wall and their was trash up in the lifter valley.

15. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

Does #5 show detonation on the bottom edge under the trash from the broken piston? Maybe show the cylinder heads. Did the valve drop or was it just bent? Debris will quickly travel between cylinders through manifold.

16. Oh yeah there’s Plenty of trash in the lifter valley. image.jpg

17. I don’t see anything that looks problematic or out of sorts with combustion or timing. Valves all look good too except #8 intake has some debris holding it open.

image.jpg
    % 5
    image.jpg

image.jpg

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What does the #3 intake valve look like? Any evidence of debris trapped between the valve and seat? The #3 intake is the only path for the debris to take and end up in the other three cylinders that share that intake manifold plane. With a holed piston the manifold vacuum created by those other three cylinders could well pull the debris through the #3 intake valve and back into the manifold, assisted by crankcase pressure.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like the piston broke either in the ring lands or at the wrist pin and the rod beat it to death.
    With all that destruction to the cylinder wall and piston parts in the other cylinders I'd think that there was way more damage to the head and valves but the head of the piston must have taken the beating for the head.

gary macdonald likes this.
  20. #3 valves posted a pic above

21. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Did this engine have a big overbore? Cylinder wall sure looks thin but that probably has nothing to do with the initial failure.

22. .

Just 0.030 over

23. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Looks like a high RPM failure of an engine built with parts that were not up to the task. But until the back story of what actually happened is told its all a guessing game.

partssaloon likes this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm amazed that it didn't damage the head or at least the valves more than what the intake valve took.

Way back when I was 19 I broke a piston in a 216 in a 50 Chevy Hardtop right through the bottom ring land and the rod and sides of the piston were still going up and down in the cylinder and the head was stuck in the top of the cylinder. I wasn't smart enough then to understand that at that time I could buy a piston and rings for one piston at the parts house for about 10 bucks and go again.

25. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

I have seen pieces of broken pistons end up in other cylinders all the time when a piston breaks up. Usually ends up in most or all cylinders but most race engines use a single plane manifold.. with a dual plane pieces end up in the connected intake port cylinders.

Deuces likes this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It didn't eat a foreign object because there are no marks on the heads or valves.
    This is what a small screw did to the head in my Cad 500
    [​IMG]

This is what the piston in that hole looked like.
    [​IMG]

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

It sucks when a small screw can ruin your day....:(

28. Mimilan

Mimilan

We had similar damage on a BBC
    upload_2021-8-19_21-2-53.png

upload_2021-8-19_21-3-38.png

One of the hardened Intake valve seats dropped out. Yet It didn't even damage the valve

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Had a carb stud nut drop in the intake unnoticed on a BBF one time. Two adjoining cylinders looked about like Mr48's pics. Sounded like every piston was hitting the head the few seconds it ran.

30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Just one word explains the debris being passed around , velocity .

Deuces and Blues4U like this.