Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical what to put in first aid kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jetnow1, Aug 18, 2021.

1. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

When swmbo and I went for out morning walk Sunday there was a tag sale about a block into it. I picked up two metal first aid boxes each about 16 by 24 by 6. One is going to be mounted in the garage
    so I need to decide what to fill it with. Obviously the basics, bandages, band aids, anti bacterial ointment but what else should be there. Keep in mind I am alone most of the time and have no medical training.

41 GMC K-18 and squirrel like this.
  2. Your favorite adult beverage to dull the pain?

I would think along the lines of what is the worse thing that could happen and prepare for that.
    Example, use a hacksaw? bandage. Use a power saw? tourniquet.

3. brianf31

brianf31

For the shop, you'll mostly deal with splinters, cuts, burns and scrapes. A good set of tweezers or forceps with a sharp point for the burns, povidone iodine to sterilize cuts and triple antibiotic to treat it. Bandaids do fine for small cuts but you should throw in some 3 X3 bandages, gauze and tape for larger wounds.. Burn relief cream.

For heavy bleeding wounds, I highly recommend you buy a USGI Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK). It has tourniquet, compression bandage, chest seal and the like. Take a Stop The Bleed class or Combat Lifesaver class.

I keep an IFAK in my DD.. I had to use it once on a guy in a bad wreck.

TigerFan and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. A phone to call 911 .

band aids
    Bandages
    Tape
    Disinfectant
    Siccors
    Tweezers for yanking out slivers .
    Polysporin and burn ointment

And red shop rags and electrical tape:D

XXL__, old chevy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.

5. Rubbing alcohol
    Hydrogen peroxide
    Bag balm
    Roll gauze
    Eye wash/drops
    Small scissors
    Sterile Nitrile gloves
    Large bandaides

6. big john d

big john d
    from ma

a small squirt bottle of very clean water to flush your eyes

41 GMC K-18 and Deuces like this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

8. squirrel

squirrel

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  9. Stuff for bleeding control. And rubber gloves. Tourniquets save lives.

TigerFan, 41 GMC K-18, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  10. And above all use common sense when using power tools, a lot of accident's happen when you get distracted, like not clamping something down , like a piece of hard to replace stainless trim or a chunk of steel when using a drill press.and trying to hold it with vise grips, believe me I have been there and there was a lot of bloodshed. HRP

hfh, 41 GMC K-18, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

Are you hinting that accident prevention is preferable to treating accident victims?

mgtstumpy, 5window, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  12. I alway's had in my Shop was a Bottle of Southern Comfort (100 ) proof
    and in my Car 1,000 in small bills & These days a Cell phone
    to cal for Help.! the Old Day's AAA

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die A Fool

Deuces likes this.
  13. silent rick

silent rick

with the aging population on the hamb

a defibrillator

41 GMC K-18 and Deuces like this.
  14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coban which is a 3M trademark or something similar. Sticks to itself without the need for adhesive, pins or clips. You can use it to hold the red shop rag over the wound instead of black electrical tape. Or what the heck go all out and use sterile gauze instead of the red shop rag. :cool:

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-18_7-14-19.png

Hello,

When I got my arm burned with the hot exhaust pipe on the bicep in the pits at Lion's Dragstrip, it hurt like crazy. We had no first aid kit and the Lion’s Dragstrip kit did not have something to coat the burn. So, it was teenage ingenuity. In the trunk of the tow vehicle, the 58 Impala was a can of STP Oil. I remember the Boy Scouts emergency book that said to keep the wound from outside elements and dirt to ward off infection. I was not going to the hospital, since we were in the middle of eliminations for the B/Gas Willys Coupe races.

So, I put on some thick STP to cover the wound. It was instant cooling and the pain went away after a few minutes. I am not advocating STP to treat burns, but if one saw the raw flesh and the pain it was giving me, anything would do at the moment.

The rest of the afternoon and night, I was walking around with my t-shirt sleeve rolled up and the wound with STP showing. At night, I had a clean hot dog wrapper paper over the STP under my jacket. So, I was protected from the elements.

On Monday, my family doctor said that was very unusual, but after he cleaned it off, he said nothing happened to the burn and it was starting to show healing. He did not recommend the same course of action, but he said I did well to keep the infection to a minimum if any. His goopy medical stuff he put on smelled and did what it was supposed to do for a 2ND/3rd degree burn.

The hot header pipe made a perfect oval on my bicep for the next 50 years as a scar. But, it healed nicely.

Jnaki

When our son was a toddler, he always got scrapes all over, from getting knocked down by his older friends, tripping on his feet running, and falling from his skateboard scooter I made for him. But, the only thing he ever wanted was the cooling effect of the white bottle with a green cap... Bactine.

It made bubbles on the wound, cleaned and made the wound not hurt as much. It was a cleaner, healer and it put a smile on our toddler son. I even used it in the garage for minor cuts and scrapes. It is a “no sting” solution that does what it is supposed to do for wounds. It works, every time...
    upload_2021-8-18_7-14-54.png
    Here are the new versions

16. And, if you're like most of us, when trying to remove metal or wood slivers with those tweezers...a REALLY strong magnifying glass. Mine is mounted to a headband to free up my hands.

41 GMC K-18 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In truth Wamart has a pretty good first aid kit for around 20 bucks that is in a plastic box about the size of a kids school lunch box. I've got one in my boat and will put one in the 48. It pretty well has what you need as basics and then maybe add the rubbing alcohol and a few other things. I'd buy a kit and transfer the stuff to the cool box. Or maybe just put the plastic box inside the cool box.
    I don't know if they have it in the store but they list a 25 person refill kit that is OSHA / ANSI approved that has what you might need with no box. for 16.91 online. First Aid Only 25 Person ANSI & OSHA First Aid Kit, Plastic, 107 Pcs - Walmart.com - Walmart.com
    Or plenty of ideas here:
    Amazon.com : first aid kits ansi

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  18. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

A couple of condoms just in case its your last ride, lol.

03GMCSonoma and Budget36 like this.
  19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Tampons. If you get a puncture wound.

51504bat likes this.
  20. All of the above. :) Personally, I'd add a mickey of your favorite alcohol. It'll help steady your nerves. After stopping the bleeding of course. ;)

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A can or two of that "freeze spray" that team trainers keep in the field box. Comes in handy ice'n down a glass of bourbon while folks bandage up the bleeders.

VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  22. leon bee

leon bee

A few gummies?

Deuces and jimmy six like this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sting Kill if you can still get it for bee stings…..

Deuces likes this.
  24. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Quickclot powder or quickclot gauze is great for heavy bleeding if you can’t get a tourniquet on by yourself. The ER docks don’t really like it as apparently it’s hard to clean out of the wound but it works well. I have a pretty well stocked kit in my shop and the mostly used items are the tweezers,1” flexible cloth band aids. I hate the cheap plastic ones. They don’t hold up to brake clean very well. Neosporin, eye wash and Advile.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Be kinda hard to use it on yourself when you're alone.....

26. indyjps

indyjps

Saline solution for contacts to rinse eyes, is a good addition.
    Super glue does work to close up a cut if you can get the bleeding settled down

27. That tacky/sticky/gauzy/stretchy wrap they use on horses. Kind of like an ace bandage, but sticks to itself so you can wrap it with one hand if need be. Good for keeping a bandage pad in place on your way to the ER.

loudbang likes this.
  28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You need to put some of that orange stuff to put on cuts that burnt.

29. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I had a scalding injury at a racetrack in the 70's, and like Jnaki the track ambulance had nothing to treat it with. When I got home that night my aunt took the largest leaf/frond whatever they are called off my mom's aloe plant and slathered it's juice on the scalded area. It worked like magic and cooled the area. Next day only a slight indication of the scalded area. Now we keep pump bottles of it in the house because, well I'm still a klutz at times...

jnaki likes this.