Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do with your car today? * NEW*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.

1. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

August 16th 2021 Was a little bit under the weather over the weekend, probably due to barometric changes of Fred passing by and blowin' the stink off us. I relapsed into lazy for most of the weekend. I did get started with the nailhead crankshaft polishing and ran into pitting of the rear main seal surface. Spent some time pondering the best approach to fixing that problem.

Beer of the day is Hamburg Brewing Company's Southtown American Style Stout. Background music was LeAnn Rimes Blue.

[​IMG]

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Out with the old centre (3.5:1) and in with the new rebuilt centre (4.56:1). New axle seals in morning and back on the ground.
    upload_2021-8-16_21-20-52.png

bchctybob, rod1, Almostdone and 6 others like this.
  3. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Using compound has to be one of the most satisfying things to bring back old paint. Now for some wax! 20210815_172806.jpg

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hopped in the heap to run to the auto parts. Got down the street, smelled gas. Loose fitting at the fuel pump, which is crammed against the firewall, necessitating a 90 elbow, which needed to go around another turn get where it needs to be. Got most of the way around and snap, broke off, in the fuel pump. Grr. Off came the pump, and fortunately an easy out slammed into the leftover brass got it out. Dug, and dug, through my pile of plumbing fittings that never has the one I need and lo and behold, found another elbow. Got it all back together and made it to the auto parts. They specialize in VWs, couple of nice ones out front.

20210816_151832.jpg 20210816_153817.jpg

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

while you have those wings off dont miss the oppertunity to underseal everything.i payed attention to where the bead rolled around the wire on the wings sealing with seam sealer and sealed up where the wings bolted to the running boards .tried to avoid sharp corners to catch mud /dirt by using seam sealer where necessary and blending away the excess with a damp glove and cloth.

6. brading

brading

nunattax it good to see guys coming up with simple but effective ideas, like it.

nunattax likes this.
  7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Header gasket...again. And again just the right side on the SBC in my '39 coupe. Bolts keep backing out, and I check them about once every couple weeks. I put blue Loctite on the bolts this time, but if that doesn't hold I guess I'll try star washers under the heads.
    My 10 minute gasket change got halted just as I got the old gasket out, as my neighbor walked up and asked for help getting the alternator off his Volvo wagon. Two hours later, after pulling power steering pump, AC compressor, and the belt, I finally got the alternator out. Another hour to put it back together, and then I was able to finish up the '39.
    At least nobody complains about my hotrods, as they know I'll help with their OT cars if they're nice.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I went for a test drive this morning, after putting the transmission back together. I had burned up the direct clutch, although it was still shifting and driving ok.

It works again. I hope it lasts 5000+ miles again. I'm planning to drive it up to Michigan for Drag Week in a few weeks.

transmission 20210816.jpg 3rd clutches.jpg

Chavezk21, bchctybob, rod1 and 11 others like this.
  9. I can relate, currently waiting for a new front pump. 103_1053.JPG

Attached Files:

11. squirrel

squirrel

Yes. This is the whole unit. I have 3.89 gears in the rear, it works great

PXL_20210811_201228111.jpg

12. Would love to run one of those in my Model A Vicky but don't think I would have much of a driveshaft. Any idea of the total length of it and that's a 400 correct ?

13. Cranked both cars and moved them outside, I spent about 2 hours mopping up water this morning that Hurricane Fred dumped on us yesterday. :rolleyes: at east we didn't have any real damage. HRP

Turnipseed, guthriesmith and Lil32 like this.
  14. j hansen

j hansen

Nice to see that it`s not just me who spray on some paint
    on the transmission! IMG_6813.jpeg

blowby, Lil32, TA DAD and 3 others like this.
  15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Mine was all smoothed and polished out when I bought it from a guy who was switching to a T56. So I left it that way. I usually paint them too.

j hansen likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, it's a 400. Overall length is about 44 inches.

Lil32 and milwscruffy like this.
  17. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Just about finished up with cabin insulation on my ‘38 Coupe.

Attached Files:

18. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Have not gotten much done for a few days, but I did get a nice USA damper. studebaker build 002.JPG

Attached Files:

j hansen and Lil32 like this.
  19. nobby

nobby

20. Reminded myself I should fix the wipers...but, also thankful for the rain that we need.

Oh, and I found out that a squarebird trunk is big enough to haul a 34 Ford axle complete with the wishbone today.

B501ACDD-C3AD-4AAE-9061-EF88777665B9.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Fabulous50's, bchctybob, rod1 and 8 others like this.
  21. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

Fitting the rear floor in my 39 SD today IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1048.JPG

22. IMG_4369.JPG 20210713_162358.jpg
    Fitted my new Carson top . just back from the trim shop.

23. BDUB77

BDUB77

Made a center shift for a 3 speed Saginaw in my roadster 49BE7130-99F3-4DFC-8055-66A5AB04EB11.jpeg 38D868F6-4E2C-4FEF-ACED-CB7DB9B9D56F.jpeg 781D0E34-E532-4853-BACA-0D6A4FB77A10.jpeg

bymanr, Dogberg, 61Cruiser and 15 others like this.
  24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Fixed the courtesy light in the Merc and found out why the parking brake warning light does not work,the switch is broke and will give me a excuse to go to the junkyard.

TA DAD, j hansen and Lil32 like this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cleared the pathway to start making brackets to cram the AC condenser in the front of my first-generation Falcon.

I have all my shoehorns ready.

61Cruiser, bchctybob and j hansen like this.
  26. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

August 19th 2021 Polishing the nailhead crank journals is taking some time. Ops went a little faster once I established a rhythm. Almost finished with the first pass with 800 grit paper.

My friend, Dave Kerry, asked about run out and offered that he had the v-blocks and precision dial indicator to check it. Decided to take a timeout from the polishing tedium and do an initial check myself.

Since I don't have v-blocks to support the crankshaft, I oiled main journal one and five bearing halves and installed them in the block, then the crankshaft followed, touching only the two bearing halves. I set up my dial indicator to measure the run out at main journal three. First time I've used the dial indicator and I fumbled around a bit setting it up. It didn't come with instructions.

Measuring the journal, front and back, resulted in readings of .009 and .0085 inches between low and high points. I haven't researched run out yet and my WAG is that some of this could be due to journal out-of-round. My next step, after polishing operations are complete will be to check all main journals for run out and to mic the high and low points to check out-of-round.

Beer of the day is Uinta Brewing Company's Sum'r Ale. Background music was Johnny Winter Lone Star Shootout.

[​IMG]

27. High test 63

High test 63

Fabulous50's likes this.
  28. BDUB77

BDUB77

Thank you

29. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

This truck has been kicking my butt ! but I keep moving forward. Working on the metal under the seats and along the back of the cab. STUDEBAKER BUILD 003.JPG

30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

walked past the 38 had a good look at it. said naw ,im doing something else today.travelled to my buddys house and picked out a new german shepherd pup.dave said he had one picked for me but we both agreed on the pick of the litter.two rigid ears ,confident alert ,no fear in comparison to the others and a very good stance.straight tail ,straight front paws ,no sag at the wrists im happy.father is a friendly fellow black/tan.mother is darker with some silver on the back.1 week to go and counting.(all the litter was good by the way)
    would you believe it ive been trying to trace my dog SETZERs line since he died.i visited a local historian today researching something.i was admiring his black long haired shepherd dog.she was beautiful gentle bitch 9 years old.he told me she was related to another german shepherd local i knew well.a brother to SETZER.died a few years back,died from bloat, twisted gut.the bitch was neutered.another dead end here but got a name and locality of the breeder.long shot.googled the name nothing turned up so a road trip is on the cards soon.anyway the new guy will be arriving next week 8 1/2 weeks old ,but huge boots to fill big expectations here.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021