Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '52 Catalina Super DeLuxe Custom Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nikkerton, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

HA! I tried that at the DMV with the lady, she didn't even respond. Problem is, they have to inspect the plates for quality before use and after she found out the number sequence couldn't be used it was too late. I'll just have to get custom collector plates later and somehow incorporate these inside the car.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

So it was "Back to The Fifties" in MN this past weekend. Maybe some of you have heard of it, maybe not. There were over 10,000 registered cars from 1964 and older at the MN State Fair Grounds. I drove my car to the show but didn't pay the registration to drive it in. I will next year. $10 to look at endless, jaw dropping classics. I saw less than 10 Pontiacs from 1950-1954. It's impossible to see all the cars so I'm sure I missed some but there were definitely not a lot there. Here were a couple stand outs.
    IMG-1609.jpg IMG-1623.jpg IMG-1639.jpg IMG-1631.jpg

And, mine. Turned some heads. Felt good.
    IMG-1645.jpg

brEad, Bruce A Lyke, 40two and 2 others like this.
  3. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

So I noticed about a month ago my 4" driveshaft was rubbing in my X-frame. It kind of has these flared I-beams that it was hitting. Fairly certain it wasn't rubbing on the top of the frame/floor of the car. So I dropped the driveshaft and had to get surgical on my I-beam. I tried to just cut as little as possible and flare it out more. I put blue tape on the driveshaft to see if I have any more rubbing. The driveshaft looks really close to the floor because the floor jacks are on the rear axle, it sits dead center while in normal stance. I did clean up the metal ends more after the photos. Not a fun or easy job with a sawzall laying on your back with metal shaving flying all over.
    IMG-1653.jpg IMG-1655.jpg IMG-1651.jpg IMG-1652.jpg IMG-1656.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  4. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

That doesn't sound like a fun sawzall job, but it'll be good to have that out of the way. This reminds me, I'm glad my car lift is arriving today. :)

Nikkerton likes this.
  5. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

I was having high frequency feed back on my speakers and I cleaned up and tried multiple grounds with the amp. I added a ground from the block to the body. I would like to have used another hole on the back on the engine but the two available were blocked by the ATF feeder tube. I already have a battery to block and frame to block ground. Hopefully this does the trick. Really eager to get the carpet installed then seats and cruise the rest of the summer.
    IMG-1672.JPG IMG-5045.JPEG IMG-5047.JPEG

loudbang likes this.
  6. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

To keep impedance as low as possible try keep everything in that area grounded to the same point.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

Turning the gain down on the amp along with the additional body ground eliminated any feedback. I loomed all the wires and removed the audio equipment that will go on top of the carpet and started the install. I'm not convinced this Stock Interiors carpet was totally for my 2dr but it certainly fits up front. The back part looks like there's going to be excess over the tunnel. I started trimming it down but stopped before I got to the exact fit so I could come at it with a fresh head. Color: 557-Gunmetal 80-20 Loop. $190.85 shipped
    IMG-1711.jpg IMG-1713.jpg IMG-1712.jpg

Ford52PU and loudbang like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

Much better to have too much than too little. :rolleyes:

Nikkerton likes this.
  9. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

looks nice, the car is really coming together!

loudbang and Nikkerton like this.
  10. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

Carpet install was ok. I am not super happy with the fit. The tunnel has excess that is kind of floppy and where I bolted down the gas pedal it binded/folded the carpet up higher on the fire wall. I stupidly left the carpet on the firewall peeled back over the 4th of July weekend and sum because I didn't have the gas pedal removed and so to the right of the peddle on the tunnel are wrinkles that are totally my fault. Hopefully they will smooth out. I suppose it looks alright.

IMG-2035.jpg IMG-2036.jpg

I decided to mount the front speakers under the dash temporarily (maybe permanently?) until I can install them in the kicker panels or possibly the doors. I really just wanted them in somewhere so I can put the seat back in and get to cruising. The entire audio install was a lot of hours and time that I didn't quite expect to happen this early in the build but with the carpet install I wanted to lay all the wiring, thus, audio. The sound is incredible. I am super happy with the quality of the music. A little extra gain on the front speakers to make up for the direction they are facing and they cohesively come together with the rear sound like a perfect puzzle piece right at my driver seat.

IMG-2040.jpg IMG-2041.jpg IMG-2046.jpg IMG-2047.jpg

loudbang, pvfjr and Chief 64 like this.
  11. Leave the speakers hidden. They always look like an afterthought in kick and door panels. JMO, YMMV

12. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

I can second that. Not to mention the feeling of “that’s done” and move on.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

Need your help HAMBers. When I push my brake pedal, my turn signal indicators light up on my dash and the parking lamps (front turn signals) illuminate. I have an inline brake switch. One wire goes to the harness for power and the brake switch wire runs up into my turn signal switch. My turn signals all around work correctly as well as the brake lights. Either front turn signal will override the front illumination issue. For example, I signal left and the front turn signal is flashing, I press the brake, right front turn signal illuminates while the left keeps flashing. I have a two prong flasher installed and I don't think that is the issue.

Has anyone had this happen?
    IMG-2149.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  14. Could be a bad directional switch or a bad grround. I would check all the lighting and signaling grounds first.

loudbang likes this.
  15. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

2nd bad ground

Ford52PU and loudbang like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

17. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

No LEDs in the car except the third brake light, but I disconnected that just to be sure and it had the same issue. I unscrewed my tail light housings and cleaned up the metal and reinstalled the lights. There's no ground wires back there so I'm assuming it grounds through the housing to the body from the two bolts that hold it on the car.

The front parking lamps also just have two wires going to them, turn signal and parking lamp wires. Again, must be grounded through the bolts. The headlights do have a ground and I cleaned that up and those work fine. I don't know where else there would or should be a ground wire?

The brake switch wire goes into my turn signal switch. I wonder if its connected to the wrong wire inside there. Everything else works well so maybe I need to move the brake switch wire to a different wire on the 6 wire switch.

loudbang likes this.
  18. loudbang likes this.
  19. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

loudbang likes this.
  20. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

51 350.jpg Wondering if you have the heater and defroster working? Mine parts are a sad state and missing parts form the Previous owners. seems there would have been part of it where the new power brake booster is located on both of out cars.

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

22. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Correct. There was originally a fan that draws in from the left hand air feed tube. It has two outlets, big one for the floor and a smaller one for the defrost.
    20210311_181932.jpg
    Intake/block-off connector tube is up under the driver's side wheel arch.
    20210312_092940.jpg
    The screen defrost doesn't necessarily need to be on the firewall, the hot air just blew in through a hole into a 1-to-2 adapter and flexible hoses went from there to the screen ducts.
    Heater valve would've been attached to the firewall, feeding the two heater matrixes, defrost first, floor second then back to the radiator lower spigot (drivers side).
    20210123_142831.jpg
    Air direction via a series of flaps in the intake tube and defrost box.

Phil

Bruce A Lyke and loudbang like this.
  23. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Phil for confirming my suspicions :(
    Anyone have some details of how you are doing heat and defrost without the OEM parts after a V8 PB swap?
    Maybe i can just go aftermarket and add A/C while I'm at it:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  24. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

Hey Bruce, Vintage air has a heater you can install under dash and has defrost ports on them. Likely, under your dash you still have the ports to hook duct hose up to. This was going to be my planned route of heat. I'm skipping AC. It's a hard top anyway! Here is the unit I was looking to buy from Vintate Air.

I still have my heater core that mounts on the firewall, as well as the under seat floor heater core if you ever want to restore let me know.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  25. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

Took a little break on the Chieftain work this fall to work on other projects. I was also getting pretty down on the car and the electrical issue I could not resolve. Which was the illumination of the parking lamps when I pressed the brake pedal. WELL, I'm so damn happy to have finally figured it out. I had a bad turn signal switch. I mock wired up this United Pacific Turn Signal Switch from Summit and all is good. What a long annoying road its been. Now, I need to tidy up the wiring and put it back together. I had to get a 3 prong flasher so I can use the green flashing illumination tip on the stick. I haven't decided if I'm going to wire in the dash turn signal indicator lights yet or not since the tip of the handle flashes.

IMG_3602.JPG

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  26. I bet you feel good now. Way to go on the fix.

loudbang likes this.
  27. goldmountain

goldmountain

I think you have the dash indicators hooked up to the rear turn lights and not the front. The front ones don't light up when you hit the brakes.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

Yeah thanks man. You called it long ago. I didn’t wanna have to change out that directional switch but that was the case. Thanks for the insight!

loudbang likes this.
  29. Nikkerton

Nikkerton

And the motor pull begins. Front and rear main seals leaking, compression low on passenger side. Trans leaking. Gonna pull and rebuild from stock to 350HP over the winter. Trans I will likely bring in to get rebuilt somewhere while its out. I figure if I rebuild it completely I’ll get a solid 100k miles out of it before its an issue again. By that time, it’ll probably be 15 years from now. Plenty of other affordable options by then.
    IMG_3882.JPG
    IMG_3885.JPG

Chrome grille and bumpers getting redone too. Currently waiting on a quote from a local shop. Hope its not too outrageous.
    IMG_3875.JPG

30. Have that shop show you the cost for race chrome, often a lot less and would look a lot better than the current condition.

loudbang and Nikkerton like this.