Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933-1934 Ford coupe reproduction?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Trashboy, Aug 18, 2021.

?
  1. 1 yes awesome

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. 2 hmmm meybe

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Trashboy

Trashboy
    from sweden

Hi,

Thought of an idea if there will be newly produced 1933-34 Ford coupes both the 3- and 5 window model. Just love the style of the coupe, also like the Fords 1930-31 and 32. But the 32 model coupe have a production of newly steel body. The 1933-34, did seen, long ago it had a production, but now i looked everywhere, can't found anything.

What do you guys think? Is there possible market for it to appear?
    Or should i just start stock pilling huge amout of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck to buy the real deal? Or meybe build one from scratch, make a copy so of speak.

To either have a hot rod project or have one that was run in the old days.

Best of regards, from Sweden. ( sorry if the english is super rusty from my part )

Hnstray likes this.
  2. Steves Auto Restoration in Oregon had built some. They were not selling well due to the price. I doubt that anyone will ever make another steel reproduction body . The last one that RAR had for sale was in the 45k range. I had to edit the beginning of this post as corrected.
    Vic

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Hnstray likes this.
  3. rusty valley

rusty valley

I believe it is Steve's auto that Vic is thinking of (SAR) and yes they were not selling when put on the market in 09 during the crash. Later, it seems no one could buy the dies, and last I heard they wanted to melt them down for the special metal . I could be mistaken, but I dont think we will ever see any more model 40 new steel bodies. Thinking some more, I believe that Steves auto does still make the roadster body on special order

Hnstray, clem and lurker mick like this.
  4. Trashboy

Trashboy
    from sweden

thanks for the reply, thumbs up

5. Trashboy

Trashboy
    from sweden

thanks for the reply, thumbs up

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

7. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Steve's auto started to reproduce the 3w but needed
    20 orders, to make it worth his investment, and only got a few
    orders. I had a friend that ordered 2 and got his deposit back a few years later when Steve knew it wasn't going to happen

8. chev34ute

chev34ute

The good news is there is already someone already producing them. Lazzie is also Swedish, he coach builds them in his metal shaping classes.

There is definitely a market for reproduction steel 3 window coupe bodies and these can be sold for the same or less than their equivalent fibreglass counterparts. All the equipment needed to manufacture these bodies can be purchased for less than five grand.
    It’s a labor intensive process but the profit margins are far higher than wasting hundreds of thousands on dies and stamps.
    96E55D33-F625-488E-8D2E-9A66C35FF62F.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    mgtstumpy, alfin32, 4ever18 and 2 others like this.
  9. rusty valley

rusty valley

I saw one of LAZZE's body's he was trying to sell on ebay. It never got very high on the bids, didnt sell if I remember. I thought it was very good...in pictures anyway

10. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lazze's English wheel, Bead Roller and dies,and his shrinker stretcher combo for 5,000?I'll take all you can supply. His Tools are expensive and worth it.As far as being able to sell steel 3 windows for less than fiberglass,I'll take the all you can supply.Lazze no longer is doing his seminars .I was able to take his first class, and wanted to do the advance course but no luck.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought I had some photos of the show and tell body that Steve had at the Portland roadster show but I don't have them in any of my photobucket albums.
    I just remember that it looked great but was seriously spendy.

12. chev34ute

chev34ute

That’s a surprise, they would sell like crazy here in Australia, this is what we pay for fibreglass bodies. Despite the ridiculously high price tag, these sell really well and some have even been exported to the States.
    I have thought about doing repro steel 3 window coupes myself, I have the equipment but I would need a helper with the manufacturing as well a surplus body to get patterns from. Whether there is anybody in Australia interested is another story.
    359A3F1D-EBAF-4968-850B-393BFAA205AF.jpeg
    96C92BB4-C3EF-491B-92E9-140C4D080338.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    48fordnut and rod1 like this.
  13. Where can you get a new steel 34 coupe body for $AUD 18,400?
    Including everything internal, not just the outer skin.

rod1 likes this.
  14. chev34ute

chev34ute

They are well known fibreglass bodies, produced in Victoria, I won’t give them anymore publicity as I don’t like their one size fits all products. My point is they are way over priced, that converts into over $13000 US. My second point is that with five grand worth of equipment, a frame, body and workshop, steel 34 3 Window coupe bodies could be manufactured here and sold for far less than than the local fibreglass ones. The frame would become a jig, the body would be used as a pattern.

15. Lodi , You are 100% correct in this statement. Those of you thinking a steel body could be made cheaper that a fiberglass one . Have no experience in metal forming . A guy could use a old stump to bang out parts but in the end they are going to look just that .
    I do stand corrected on my comment about Ricks Auto Restoration making steel bodies. Yes that was SAR there in Oregon. Again , the last body he had left was for sale in the 45k range and it was for sale for a while. The equipment to hand make these parts will add up to way more than buying a body already done , plus it takes years of learning in order to manipulate the sheet stock into body parts.
    I wished the guys who make these types of comments step up and dive into building bodies. They will find out real quick that the investment and time is not worth it. My hat is off to those who step up to the plate to make parts and bodies , steel or glass.
    Sorry for my rant but just had to get this off my chest.
    Vic

golferforpar and rod1 like this.
  16. chev34ute

chev34ute

The fact is that they can be made for far less than fibreglass bodies.

Here is a breakdown in costs of my equipment.

Bead Roller $2000 AU
    Folder, Sliproll/Guillotine $1100
    Shrinker/Stretcher $650 AU
    English Wheel $650 AU
    Hammer and Dollies $200 AU
    Contour Gauges $120
    Hammer Form and Jig for rear window $50 AU
    Angle Grinder $40 AU
    Aviation Snips $25 AU
    TOTAL. $4835 AU - $3458.84 US
    Tell me that creating a mould for a fibreglass body would be cheaper.
    6E7633CA-1834-4CA6-A957-5533FA9E6C5D.jpeg 39BB8AE4-B470-4CA6-A1CF-558679A4E05E.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  17. Make me one for under $AUD18,400 and I'll buy it. Naturally factory accuracy would be essential.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Very time consuming, these 'rolled & stamped' parts. My '27 tub was nice when I started, but then there were some patch panels, then some..... I got deep into it in no time, don't forget: This was a nice body to start with, but fixing all the little woes?
    I can imagine building a '27 tub from A-K steel. No I can't.
    Harder doing than talking about it...in SPADES.

rod1 likes this.
  19. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Best hope for a New repo 33-34 coupe body is "United Pacific" They have the resources and Money to Back such a task. My son tried to save the 34 3 window program that Steve started before Experi-Metal melted Down the Dies. It was just to much of a money risk for the economy at the time. The investment was offered and numbers run by many well known early ford parts suppliers. They all agreed that the numbers were just too far off to save it. Kind of funny how in todays market the 33-34 3 window seems to be fetching the Top money all around between the 32-34 fords.