Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1965 Mercury Wrist Twist Steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Aug 17, 2021.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

[​IMG]We heard of Mercury working on a new wrist-twist steering idea and we'd gotten several press releases on it, but until we drove one, we figured it was just another gimmick. Now that we've had a chance to try it out, we're convinced of its merits. It isn't a gimmick at all. It works.

Back in Detroit recently, Mercury turned one of their four wrist-twist Park Lane convertibles over to us for a 150-mile test drive. The unit, which reminded us more of handlebars than a steering wheel, tilts up on its column. This makes it fairly easy to get into the driver's seat, but we noticed immediately that it didn't tilt quite far enough. Once settled, though, it comes down almost to the lap, and with arm rests on both sides, it's very comfortable.

View of the instrument panel beats a round wheel by far, and there's no rim to interfere with forward vision. These are two advantages that—even if there were no others—would make the new Mercury system worthwhile.

Out on the road, it took us only two or three minutes to get completely used to the little wheels at each end of the yoke. It took no mental effort at all—just catching on to using the thumb rings and keeping our hands resting loosely in place.

Driver control measures up to any present system. The steering ratio is quicker than most U.S. cars' (2.8 turns lock to lock, as compared with 3.6 turns for a standard Mercury). Even so, we would've preferred an even faster ratio, because there seems to be more sensitive control in a person's wrists than in his arms.

One huge advantage of the wrist-twist system (and this isn't brought out strongly enough by the Mercury people) is its potential for greater safety. If the yoke were padded, it'd eliminate much of the crash danger of a conventional wheel. There's no rim to strike a person's head or knees. Better still, a telescoping column would add even more protection.

The unit itself, of course, is power-assisted. But Merc engineers have gone conventional power systems one better. Besides the regular, engine-driven hydraulic pump, there's an auxiliary power system that cuts in when (or if) the engine stops. Anyone who's driven a power-steering-equipped car has had the engine die and felt the steering stiffen—sometimes quite frighteningly. Well, there's no chance of this happening in the wrist-twist Mercury. If manifold vacuum or main-pump pressure falls below certain levels, an auxiliary electrical pump takes over. This would be a welcome adjunct to current power-steering systems, even if the wrist-twist idea never made the showroom.

Mercury has gotten reactions to wrist-twist steering from drivers in all walks of life. They've let any number of people drive these cars, and most commented favorably on the new system's major points. About 200 men and women answered a questionnaire given them after their drives, and almost all checked the "excellent" column for most aspects. Small objections fell in the areas of comfort—the arm rests being too high or low, ease of getting into and out of the driver's seat, and other minor complaints that would easily be remedied. So from all practical standpoints, the system has already proven successful.

A small team of Mercury's Product Research engineers, under the direction of Robert J. Rumpf has been working on the wrist-twist system for about three years. When they started, they were told simply to improve on present steering systems. We believe they've done this admirably, and we won't be at all surprised when Mercury offers a wrist-twist option (at about $100?) in one of their future models. We'll welcome the change[​IMG]

2. BJR

BJR

So your point is?

tommyd likes this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

^^^^^ I wanted to say that! I'd like to see a video of some one driving one around; confuzed me since it first came out..

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

I remember the articles on that system from back then. Did it ever make it past the concept stage or is it like the mysterious Mercury two speed rear axle?

blowby likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I also remember the article, my grandpa had given me some back issues of mechanix illustrated, etc. when I started getting interested in cars as a kid. It's something so strange, that it sticks in your mind!

seb fontana and blowby like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Some Hambers enjoy automotive history. That's why there is a history section.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

where is Chubby Checker doing "The Twist"? - great for those that play games with individual controls - maybe flying m0del planes - carpal tunnel syndrome comes to mind

seb fontana and loudbang like this.
  9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

ok I wanna see the mechanical aspects now!! I want to see the "steering wheel" removed and opened up...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. That is so cool! I want one.

11. Very cool

would love to see a diagram of how it all worked.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

there are some chains and sprockets inside, obviously....

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  13. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Thanks @squirrel !
    Not sure if your being sarcastic, an ass, funny or all three. But that was funny !!!

I was thinking there where bees and bubble gum in the steering system.
    Thanks for clearing that up :D

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  14. Notice the three pedals in the first pic ....that would be fun !

Cosmo49 likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

None of the above...I was just answering the question. That's most likely how it works, there are probably chains and sprockets connecting the little "wrist" steering wheels, to the shaft inside the steering column.

At least, that's how I would probably make it. They could have bevel gears, or wire rope, or something else, who knows!

LOST ANGEL and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. jaracer

jaracer

I got to see one of the cars at our local Lincoln/Mercury dealer when I was a teenager. I think Popular Science had a diagram of the setup. Like squirrel said, it had a chain run from each small wheel to the central steering shaft.

VANDENPLAS and LOST ANGEL like this.
  17. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

Found the picture of it with the cover removed. Squirrel is right, chains and sprockets make it operate.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I saw that too, I'm thinking they didn’t build a lot of Mercury Parklanes with four speeds.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I need one of those to put in my 65 Montclair but would it work with a 3 on the tree.