Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures When Jessi went to Bonneville...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

When Jessi went to Bonneville...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Thanks for posting......

Stogy, Big mike 1968 and ffr1222k like this.
  3. Little eerie to watch knowing her eventual fate but gotta admire her passion

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

What we know today,,,,,,,

Stogy and Big mike 1968 like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting, she was on of the really cool ones in the hobby.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  6. Jessi was local to us here. I knew her a bit. A VERY cool person to be around. I still know quite a few friends and family and have seen the toll her very public passing took on them.

I encourage everyone to follow and support her Foundation.

https://www.thejessicombsfoundation.com/

7. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

She was the real deal. Very down to earth.
    I had the honor of meeting her on her rookie runs with Billy O's 8892. DSC00488.JPG

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She dated a guy I knew for a little bit.

We hung all hung out one afternoon just launching model rockets.

She was the best.

9. 5window

5window

Very freaky, and sad, knowing what happened later. But, she had way more protection in the Deuce than she had in the NA Eagle. What were they thinking? :(

chryslerfan55 and Pete Eastwood like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the photos I saw that thing would never come close to passing tech with SCTA at Bonneville. That's all I am going to say.

11. aircap

aircap

It didn't matter who was in the seat of the North American Eagle... if one thing went wrong, they were gonna die. And as it turned out, two things went wrong.

41 GMC K-18 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cannot bring myself to click like on this.

You are correct.

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RIP_Jessi.jpg

I will never forget this Tragic Loss...Many times I refer to Race Vehicles as Jets without wings and this truly was a Jet without wings...

That's really cool that she was able to have a few runs in the Rolling Bones Roadster...quite the honor...and very kind of them...

Credit to All that Inspired This

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  14. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Having the honor of a generous friend, EJ Kowalski, letting me drive his C/GR at Bonneville, the thought of the possibility of Jessi’s fate crossed my mind sitting on the line waiting to leave. However the chance to experience that thrill overrode everything going on in that moment. I am sure she had the same things happening in her mind too. Life is too short and opportunities to go that fast don’t happen every day to enjoy something you love to do more than anything else.

15. My father and I were part of Billy O’s Dark Side team that year. I had to fly home the day they started shooting but I was fortunate to meet Jessi the day before and and have a beer with her, she was one of a kind.
    4F1565F2-D821-4F4D-B162-031457FE7C9B.jpeg B3359FF7-97CC-4561-95C7-4F0BCE6BDDD5.jpeg R.I.P.

16. 5window

5window

Was the car really a 5 window coupe like the video says-the doors look too wide?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. A Boner

A Boner

Sometimes I just wish God would grant do-overs when things go horribly wrong!

18. I knew her pretty well, cause I got to drive her around Ink n Iron show, when she came. She got VIP treatment. She was funny and very in tune with what she liked and what she didn't. It's hard to watch the video when she raced the Eagle, cause she had no idea what was around the corner for her. Her excitement when she got the record for fastest female is great. I loved it when she raced the Roadster. Miss her humor and her love for going fast....

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  19. Yes. According to Billy it was originally cut down sometime in the 50’s

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 5window like this.
  20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Lots of courage, lots of talent and drive, sorry that she passed so soon. Thanks for keeping her memory alive.

Stogy likes this.
  21. trollst

trollst

My daughter reminds me of Jessi, specially the last pic here. My daughter loves cars, if given the chance probably would end the same way as Jessi, can't keep her outta my junk, always wants to use them.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  22. I was in Bonneville in 2013 and hanging out with Billy, GreenMtnBoy and his dad, but missed meeting Jessi. Met her briefly at the Race of Gentlemen in 2015, she was a charmer for sure.

It's a shame she's gone but she left an indelible mark on our hobby and she'll be around for a long time because of it. RIP Jessi.

23. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Sorry, But you are so very wrong with your statement. Unless you were involved with the N.A.E. you would have no idea what "Protection" she had......

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. 5window

5window

Okay, so months after that quip, clearly you are here to enlighten me. I apologize if I am wrong. Please show us. I was not there. I can only go by photos like the ones attached. I know that Art Arfons survived 610 mph crash and a Bonneville motorcyclist survived almost 400. But, every crash is different. So, what were the safety features of the NA Eagle? I only see a cockpit and a canopy. Not being a smart-ass, I really want to know. A tragedy in any case.

NA!.jpg NA3.jpg NA2.jpg

25. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just punch in " North American Eagle " on you tube, there is a 26 minute long video, of the history of that surplus F-104 aircraft.
    Pretty revealing, when you look at what it was when the project first started.
    Judge for yourself.

DSC_1363 (2).JPG
    R.I.P. Jessie.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a roll cage or bar in sight...:oops:

I suppose they were banking on the fact this was a machine that was wind tunnel tested to be a 1000 plus mph straight arrow bullet, so well suited for the task...I have to go back and reference the ordeal...I believe it was a tire issue that started the hell that unfolded...

RIP Jessi...gone far to young...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jessi was very smart. She knew the risks. She accepted the risks. She took the risks.

She was informed, and she consented. Of that, I am sure.

Maybe it is not what any or all of us would have done, but we are not her.

Gone to live in glory with the legends far too soon.

Tman, 5window and Stogy like this.
  28. 5window

5window

Absolutely spot-on correct.
    However, I am not a car designer, nor a fabricator, nor an engineer, but if I was building a race car, the first question I'd ask would be "how do I protect the driver at the speeds I am going to reach?" an build my car around that. Perhaps that was done.

29. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER