Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spindle Mount Wheel ID.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A friend has a pair of these, that fit early Ford Spindles. They lack the extra ribs on Halibrands, that I am aware of. Any thoughts who might have cast them. Maybe, Australian, since that's where they are. Spindle mount wheel.jpg

Deuces and mad mikey like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Sure is similar to a Halibrand. It has an outer rim lip. Maybe a late production in the magnesium period? The window is more rounded than the standard Halibrand. Could it be what they call the "Speedway"?

Deuces likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Deuces and mad mikey like this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I dunno, but those are cool.

Deuces, mad mikey and chevy57dude like this.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is a shot of the back side, no Halibrand in the casting. Let's see if more wheel experts chime in. Thanks to both of you. Spindle mount wheel 2.jpg

Deuces, mad mikey and mctim64 like this.
  6. I swear I've seen that type wheel on wheeled industrial equipment. I don't see a valve stem hole either....

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good catch, so maybe a solid mount tire? I wonder what the pads that are cast into it are for? They look like they have a locator hole for something cast into it. At least a starter hole/pilot hole.

Deuces likes this.
  8. They are possibly Georgette wheels. Made BITD by Mark Georgette in Sydney.

Deuces and bowie like this.
  9. Found a pic of his race car at the time.
    [​IMG]

10. Jokester

Jokester

I had some similar years ago on a two wheel trailer. They had some crazy size like 16.5" wheel. Couldn't get tires for them. At the time I thought they might be for an airplane.

.bjb

11. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Marty, what is the rim size ?

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Tony, I should have shown it to you first. Also, if Rooman was still on here, he would have answered it as well. Hollywood, they are 15's, and as near as I know, they are 3-1/2 or 4" wide. My friend is donating them for a project I have in mind, now I just have to get them here.
    They haven't had the stem hole drilled, and have never had bearing races pressed in yet.

Deuces likes this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A friend of mine said the very same thing about the bosses this morning.

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

15. Magfiend

Magfiend

They are Halibrands - Ted made several different styles of these front wheels - this one with the 5 ribs and oval windows, 10 rib ones the 5 extra ribs that intersect the oval windows, the 10 rib ones with the more angular windows, small kidneys with ribs...

16. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    Just for your information. I have shipped a bunch of stuff to Australia using USPS flat rate boxes. Runs about $100 U.S.
    I sent a wrong pair of side plates, my guy in Australia found that it would only be about $80 (U.S.) to send them back. Turns out that he resold them there so we didn't have to do it, but it was good info.

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Are you certain they are Halibrands ? I have never seen a set like them, other than on Mark Georgette's Fiat. They have been shipped from Oz, and I should receive them soon. If you have any pictures of them please post them here.

bowie likes this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bruce, I think my friend paid around $200. to ship. When he called, I asked "how do I wire you the money for shipping". I thought that was the least I could do, but he happened to call on my Birthday, and he said "that's your Birthday present" ! Have I got friends or what !

TA DAD, X38, Texas Webb and 3 others like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Deuces likes this.
  20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Yessir, very good friends!

Now about the Quickchange for the RPU. Can anyone get it from Marty to me? I'm north of Detroit about 30 miles. (Davisburg). I'll only need the center section and internals, no axles or trumpets.;)

Deuces likes this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Well, They showed up today, safe and sound, they are 15X3-1/2, and perfect ! Now I need to talk to Bruce about a pair of side plates, for one of my Champ rears. IMG_7796.JPG IMG_7798.JPG IMG_7799.JPG

bowie, rod1, ottoman and 2 others like this.
  22. Magfiend

Magfiend

I'd eat my hat if they weren't!

31hotrodguy likes this.
  23. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Marty, have you dug up any more info on your oz wheels? They are going to look great on your project.

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bowie, I haven't gotten any more bonified ID on them. I would like to see another set just like them. As Greg Shelton pointed out, the ribs are taller on the Mark Georgette wheels. I am trying to reach Roo Man, he should have some input, as well. Winter is coming, and so will be the new project.

bowie likes this.