Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects (Mostly) DB/Mopar Roadster Build or... Hodgepodge Dodge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rickybop, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi everyone.
    The title of this thread was
    "Help identify cowl"
    It didn't take long.
    Bam. Done. LOL.
    Thanks, guys.

Now... I've got this beautiful little 1929 Chrysler Roadster cowl and I thought I might try to build something with it. My inclination is to get a little further along before I start an actual build thread. But of course, I already have questions. And the hamb is so wealthy with the absolute best of everything for a guy who wants to build an old hot rod, I'd be foolish not to take advantage of it right from the start. I know that you guys will be there for me every step of the way, with good information, encouragement, well-taken opinions and even a few smart ass remarks.
    LOL
    I'm grateful for all of it.

So this will be my build thread.
    And it starts like this...

Help identify cowl

Hi guys.
    Anybody recognize the make of this cowl?
    Thank you.

179551847_4013509922020460_140768446193539242_n (1).jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  2. BJR

BJR

Looks like it may be a Chrysler.

Stogy and Rickybop like this.
  3. 29ish Desoto

4. modagger

modagger

:DBroderick Crawford? Oh, sorry I just reread it, I thought you said “scowl”.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Broderick Crawford. LOL
    "Crazy dame!"

Chrysler or DeSoto would be good. Still looking at pictures to verify. Can't see that character line. Not many good shots of though scowls.
    Crap. Those cowls.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and modagger like this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. I do believe it's a DeSoto.

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL. Dodge. Of course.

Stogy, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There have been a couple times when somebody wanted help identifying a car here, and I thought it might be a Dodge... but I was afraid to say it! LOL

Stogy, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So close.

@HJmaniac you're right, the firewall looks the same. But there's a difference in the reveal on the side of the cowl. I see a dog leg that's not on the one I posted. We might be off a year or two or it might be a difference in series. But it's gotta be Chrysler or DeSoto and that's good.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  11. twenty8

twenty8

1929 Chrysler 65. The large hole in the middle with the three bolt holes around it is the clue...:)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

hfh, chryslerfan55, HEMI32 and 7 others like this.
  12. Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Stogy, Rickybop and Deuces like this.
  13. twenty8

twenty8

14. spudshaft

spudshaft

I like the top. You could make something cool with that.

Rickybop likes this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1929 Chrysler 65. That's it!
    Awesome, Steve @twenty8
    And Mikey @HJmaniac
    And everybody.
    Thanks very much. You're great. And the HAMB proves itself again. I checked out the links you guys posted. Beautiful car. I like how out of the simplest threads, we can learn something. And I think we enjoy it. I know I do.
    I like the character lines on top, too, @spudshaft . It's unique. Definitely could do something cool with it.

Now...

I've got this '53 Chrysler 2 door hardtop. It'll be good as a mild custom cruiser maybe. But it's too new, too big and too heavy to be a hot rod. I've got a Dodge 440 6x2 A833 4spd combo I was going to put in the Chrysler. But I don't think that 6x2 should be hidden under a hood. An early-style stripped down hot rod displaying the big block and weighing half (2,000lbs) of what the Chrysler does (4,000lbs) sounds like a lot of fun to me.
    Thing is, availability and prices are pretty tough these days. But I'm thinking maybe I can grow some ballsies and finally build me a pretty cool roadster even if I have to piece something together. And show off that big V8 with six carburetors and bang gears in a real hot rod like I've admired so much over the years go by.
    We'll see what I can do.
    Thanks again, fellas.
    - Rick

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  16. twenty8

twenty8

Now you're talkin'............:D:D:D

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    treb11, Greenblade, Squablow and 23 others like this.
  18. Two pieces of the "Hot little roadster all souped up" puzzle, keep scrounging uo part's my friend keep us posted, this is gonna be epic! :) HRP

19. 22 more trips like that and you will have a whole car to assemble.;)

20. 440 engine, 6 deuces and a 4 speed transmission sounds great Rick, any thoughts on a rear axle? HRP

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what I'm thinking.

Use this cowl and the doors and rear portion of the body from a sedan and a turtle deck to build a bucket type roadster. Not a T Bucket, more traditional than that. Won't be narrowed, so not a modified. (learned that here just a few days ago lol) Just a badass little hot rod roadster.

I don't mind at all that it's not Ford. I love all the Ford hot rods, but there's something about an old Mopar. Just different. But good. Strong frames, strong bodies. A lot less wood than a GM product. I think I'll try to keep most of it Mopar, but as far as the rest of the body goes, the make doesn't matter very much to me as long as I can fit it together nicely and it looks right. I think a Model T turtle deck would work just fine. There's one for sale in perfect condition not far from me.

I might try to find an old Mopar chassis. Or at least one with parallel leaf spring front suspension as the old Mopars have. Other brand hot rods that utilize Ford transverse leaf front suspension and axle look a little odd to me. I like the archaic unrefined look of a fenderless Mopar hot rod with its leaf springs hanging out. And the extra long frame horns needed to accommodate them.

Considering my choice of drivetrain, I guess we're looking forward to a late 50s or early 60s-type build. But nothing too crazy or glitzy.

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even though I wouldn't mind mixing body parts, I think I'm gonna be a little more picky with this. If it was underneath a car so you couldn't see it, it wouldn't matter so much. But the rear axle is very visible in these cars, and should be era correct and look good and maybe fit the rest of the drivetrain. So I think the only good choice would be an 8 3/4. But I think about a quick change.

Any other ideas?

RICH B, RMR&C and Stogy like this.
  23. das858

das858

Your plan sounds awesome ! Hope you can find all the pieces quickly and cheaply !

24. Thinking about a under slug type of suspension, sounds good. HRP

Rickybop likes this.
  25. Chrysler cowl, Dodge engine and tranny, built frame. Yea, try and keep the all Dodge theme as it will be different and something no one else will have.

Toms Dogs, VANDENPLAS, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Underslung. Please explain a little more, Danny.

Are you simply saying that the Mopar chassis and maybe others with parallel leaf suspension have the springs situated underneath the axles?

Or are you referring to axles mounted above the frame rails as we've seen some do?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Stogy likes this.