Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@raaf if you click on @530sandman's profile there are a few more pics...

I checked...no Build Thread...If you wanted to know any particulars he is a PM away...

Being a Hamb Banger perhaps he's active on the Banger Threads...when your in the profile check his posts, I looked he posts a lot in them...;)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  2. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Joey, I've enjoyed your build. I'm subscribed to see further updates.

Devin

JalopyJimbo and Stogy like this.
  3. 97

He has been MIA since January last year!

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are correct...life gets in the way many times and it doesn't take much...hope all is well with him...

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where's Joey...o_O

It's tough enough finding Waldo...:eek:

6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry everyone! I'm still here. Between the new job and getting back from my Kentucky trip, I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the car this week. That being said, I do have some updates, stories and replies to your posts that I'll be putting up soon.

Also, we got some new string lights on the Terrace, so naturally I had to see how the roadster looks underneath them. IMG_9599.jpg
    This one's for you, @Stogy!

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Thank You...good to see you Joey...we were just talking Hotrods till you got back...we know you're busy...and I know why there's a big smile there...;)

Stringing lights that'll cool things down a bit...I was out today in the Ole Hotrod too...90° in the shade today, so a big Smile back at you...:D

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_7482.jpg
    One more, just because.

So the plan right now is just to drive the car as-is through the weekend, and then dig into the pulley replacement/chrome timing cover install next week. The best part? My parents are in town from Michigan. It's been two years since they've been to San Francisco, and I'm really excited to catch up, show them my new place and, of course, let them take the roadster for a spin.

On Saturday morning, we'll be motoring over to Hellman Hollow (also known as Speedway Meadow) for the S.F. Old Car Picnic. If any of you are in the area, I'd love to meet up!

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...the Hotrod looks awesome...I'm thinking since you are fond of this look maybe a shade of beige/cream might be the ticket with the frame jet black as you have it...this shot it really resonates that...

Have fun with family...that'll be a hoot...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    31 Thunderbird and Six Ball like this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Good to spend time with your folks. You must make them proud!
    Thanks for coming back and gathering us back in. We were straying far afield without you. :eek: :)

11. RodStRace

RodStRace

Something a bit different than the firewall, so it doesn't just blend in, plus tasteful Copper pinstriping to pick up the wheels...

Nah, Joey is going to pick something that will blow everyone's socks off with a "why didn't I think of that" finish that is at once timeless and has not been seen in the 90 years rodders have been messing with these... no pressure! :D

41 GMC K-18, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  12. raaf

raaf

Thanks @Stogy, I'll do some digging!

Stogy likes this.
  13. i think stock model A's have the coils upside down

Stogy likes this.
  14. Kind of like this?
    Model-A-engine.jpg

Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

It was good seeing you at the San Francisco Old Car Picnic this past Saturday. Your Mom seemed to be having a good time too. IMG_5605.JPG IMG_5608.JPG

Outback, Nobey, dehartcarl and 8 others like this.
  16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Just a thought about paint. When it is "a work in progress" "under construction" people cut you slack but ounce you paint it it's game on for the nit pickers. Oh, you think they love you now but once they think you're done.........:eek:

Nobey, Stogy and Budget36 like this.
  17. A Boner

A Boner

Ed Roth said, “every car has potential...until it's painted”!

18. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its time to go to "Tommy's Joint ", and liberate a menu, and have it laminated and affixed to the inside of the trunk lid or some place cool on your amazing roadster! Even a "Tommy's Joint " decal if one exists, would be cool to have on the car as well. Perhaps a coaster from the bar at "Tommy's Joint " could make a great sticker as well, just a thought when it comes to embellishing a great " SFO " automobile !

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  19. 97

I can't wait until yours is "done" and painted!:D

Stogy likes this.
  20. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why do people keep wanting to paint this perfect hot rod?
    Warren

Six Ball and pprather like this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Probably because the guy building it has always talked about painting it. Just a guess

loudbang, Six Ball, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Paint? We don't got no paint, I don't got to show you no stinking' paint!

23. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

Your rod is looking good. Good to see some positive things going on the the city.

41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I started the latest round of paint jail discussion but I was not dictating rather just thinking out loud based on observation of Joey's image above...merely friendly conversation in the garage sharing a beer...that's it...

Think about it this way and I'm pretty sure it's been discussed...Joey is building at this point a prewar look say 1938-1941 so a Roadster body of this period would I suspect still be wearing it's original finish...so could a body then end up as Joey is presenting...sure, a young fella could have sanded it down back in the day and just left it so while the chatter over paint is a topic of discussion it is something that could have plausibly taken place in 1947 as part of a post war evolution and Joey is living it in inspiration...

Personally I like the high stepping prewar look and will miss it but because I also equally enjoy the post war Dry Lakes Hotrods it would be a natural transition for a Fella coming back after surviving WW11 having more dough and skills to revamp the Hotrod to a new period look and maybe find your wheels on the cover of a Magazine...

8dcc6a0d947c4158060634535fa0e328.jpg

...enjoying a young mans journey in Hotrod...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  25. RodStRace

RodStRace

I am not speaking for Joey, but for my own mention of finishing the car.
    Because he has freshened up the rims, hand painted the firewall, added HAMB style parts to the engine, including things like the valve cover and the upcoming chrome front cover that are period correct but not strictly performance, made serious effort on upholstery and all the woodwork (floor panels, interior bracing) . All of this is to finish the car to his vision. Quoted from the first page:

So what's the plan here? Like so many early hot rods, the idea is to build this car in two phases. First, we'll have a pre-war hot rod with a hopped-up banger and mechanical brakes.

So with that in mind, it should reflect the taste, abilities and conditions of the time and the rod owner.
    A 1931 would be around 10 years old, so while many would be worn, especially those priced for someone who is going to 'rod' it, it wouldn't necessarily have to look like a Grapes Of Wrath jalopy, since the new owner would be trying to make it nice, within his budget. While a fresh mirror finish would be wrong, so is rust and dust. Picture a brushed on finish, with some hand-rubbing if he was trying to take pride in his work and impress the locals and ladies. This would be someone who wasn't starving, but had a little extra income to put toward a slightly dangerous, very visible and kind of illegal hobby. He was not willing or able to step up to a Deuce V8, but he wasn't just working on some society-approved basic transport, either.
    Don Montgomery has some great books covering the 40s and later, there isn't as much documented from the 30s.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Watched a car show from England the other day and was fascinated with a paint product that was applied with foam rollers and looked good after it dried. Cost was 100 pounds for a gallon. They used flat black on a Suzuki Samari.

Six Ball likes this.
  27. I think he could spray it with vintage tools and be period correct.
    Vintage-Hudson-Bug-Sprayer-Old-Fashioned-Pump-Duster.jpg

Outback, Jrs50, ottoman and 1 other person like this.
  28. I think a brush-applied paint job would be quite appropriate for the time period being depicted with this car. There is at least one thread on here about DIY with a brush, and some of them are darned nice. This would be an advantage to someone who doesn't have a good place to spray, the skills, the desire to mask the whole darned thing, the time (or desire) to take the car out of commission for a long period of time, as well as the $$. Worth consideration in my book...

29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have complete faith in Joey. When he gets there it will be done right. The plan is in his head and we'll just have to wait for it to get out of there. :D

Outback, RodStRace, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  30. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the risk of incurring the wrath of all of the paint gods in the H.A.M.B. universe, let me offer this suggestion. Since Joey's car at this point is predominately grey, as it appears from the various pictures and angles, and since the rims are of a copper color, in essence, its presently a " two tone " colored car.

I was looking at the " HAMMERITE " color chart and if this car was going to be brush or roller painted, there is a selection of colors to choose from that could be applicable to the current color of the car. There is even the choice of smooth or textured finish as well.

Now before I get shredded, by others on this thread for mentioning the use of " HAMMERITE " paint for Joey's car, again I emphasize its just a suggestion, and nothing more !

I am sure that @Stogy could do a rendering of the car, with the gas tank as black, which compliments the black tires, the gas cap would be chrome to match the hood ornament, the belt line would be copper color to compliment the color of the rims, and the rest of the body, grey as its mostly that way right now.

There is absolutely nothing wrong, with the way Joey's car looks right now the way it is, but that being said, if budget is a consideration and the lack of a place to either media blast the body clean or to spray it, as in a true temperature controlled paint booth, then the application of " HAMMERITE " as an alternative might be a very cool, unique option !

Just a thought, something to consider, and as stated, purely a suggestion, and nothing more than that !

Your Mileage May Vary !

Stogy likes this.