Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The XO/PP Virginia HAMB Special Is Ready for Bonneville!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, Aug 4, 2018.

1. D-Russ , when the time comes remember one thing, you can’t drive 55!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

What happened?
    Did miss something? XO Hamb.JPG

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. We were working hard in the off season to be ready for Speed Week 2019 and we wholeheartedly believe the drive train modifications @john mullen has made over the winter were the right combination to put us in record contention. But recently, other things in life have happened, and unfortunately we're not going to make it this year. Bonneville is an expensive and time consuming endeavor, not to be taken lightly. It's a huge commitment to prepare a car and travel across the country for the honor of competing on that hallowed ground. We hope to get back out in 2020.

I know I speak for John and the rest of the team when I say we truly appreciate all of the advice, help, encouragement, and well wishes you and other HAMBers and FaceBookers have given us along the way – it's not lost on any of us – we're just regular guys chasing a dream.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hotrod Proud of All of You...Hope the bumps aren't too bumpy and when you All are ready We'll be ready...

chryslerfan55, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  5. catdad49

catdad49

I Know that you All will get back to The Salt! A journey is sometimes a twisty course, but the reward is always there for those that perservere.

6. The block and head are Ford 262 – bigger bore and stroke than the 223, but same engine family. Ford made the 262 through 1964, so a 1961 truck could have been ordered with a 262.

MP&C, loudbang, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  7. MP&C, loudbang, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  8. Thomas Butcher

Thomas Butcher

Well I left early a few issues with my back, guy rear ended me Wednesday and I almost didn’t make the trip!
    Buddy from the Bay Area chasing Poteet and Main was heading in on Friday. I missed him cause I left early am Sunday drove home.
    I did meet these ford guys there from Virginia John Mullins what great people from the East! Takes a lot to drive that far for a record run.
    Well enough for now God is you’re copilot! Make us all proud of that Ford!

Tom from Penryn ca.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, 48fordnut, Calkins and 2 others like this.
  9. Thomas Butcher

Thomas Butcher

D Russ
    Tom Butcher
    Here in Cali heading to the salt friday saturday. 2021 is John Mullins running the XO/PP THIS YEAR???
    Let me know I will be there for sure!
    Haven’t checked all year or so!!!
    But not going to miss a ford heading for a record!

Stogy likes this.
  10. catdad49

catdad49

Thomas, go here. Post #2018 will start the current trip.
    THE NEW VIRGINIA H.A.M.B.CALLOUT FOR HELP

Stogy and D-Russ like this.
  11. Yes, we'll be there this year! Look out for us in the pits and the short course starting line.

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Good Luck. Best Wishes.:)

D-Russ and Stogy like this.
  13. Doug wS having a little trouble with his starter
    So I took over

Stogy, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  14. What a great year for us. New personal record for the 640 122.7 caught up with old friends and met new ones.
    And now it's on to Arkansas for the standing mile and next year back to the Salt. Got to get going on my fund raisers soon.
    Thanks to everyone helping, following, watching, listining!¹

Stogy, saltflats, old flopper and 6 others like this.
  15. I'm already thinking about what more it will take to find 9 MPH and I know as each MPH we gain the harder it's going to get. If we were at sea level we would have the power needed but Bonneville is another animal. It's back to the drawing board. Maybe a little more head work or a cam change, or maybe some wind tunnel test to find a little less drag withought breaking the rules. Maybe a cold air box that we could put ice in to cool the intake air,
    So it starts now to find a major sponsor that would get us in a wind tunnel..
    I have friends in Charlotte N.C. I'll start there.

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John I know what your going thru and it’s tough. By hearing the broadcast on the landracing site you had a pretty good year for air density which never can be planned on. In the early 80’s the record in XO/GR was 162 and when we stopped going there we had it at 169 in 2012. That was 30 years for 7 mph. We didn’t run every year in that class and actually ran the engine in another car at times. But there were changes and some were very expensive for a family and took a year of saving. I now concentrate on El Mirage once or twice a year and make a change each time looking for 1 mph which to me an accomplishment.
    Many would never take in what you and your guys have done especially with the long drive and working with an obsolete engine. Good luck with the other venues and finding a few more HP.

rod1, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

This, from the other XO/PP Bonneville Project thread:

In an effort to take this build to the Nth degree you should consider merge style primary and secondary collectors. Pricey, yes, but more efficient.

loudbang, ottoman and saltflats like this.
  18. 122.7 mph run:

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Found some photos on Bangshift. :)

1a1.jpg

1a2.jpg

1a3.jpg

20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

When you get in the wind tunnel try a more nose-down attitude, either by lowering the front, or if that is not possible, by raising the rear. It may help by keeping the air glued to the hood and roof areas. Likewise maybe jacking the hood hinges up in the rear would help.

saltflats and loudbang like this.
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yes the photoshopped pic in your other thread is exactly what I meant. Is raising the rear of the hood for a better angle-of-attack also legal?
    Back around 1990 or so a bunch of Ford engineers put together a skunkworks project Lincoln Mark VIII to showcase the new Modular V8. They rigged the air ride suspension to dump all the air pressure from the air bags at speed, thus lowering it down to the ground. Holly Hedrich drove it over 180 mph using the stock motor.

How about an "oil cooler" under the front bumper?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    loudbang and saltflats like this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think some more work in the header department will find some more torque and HP.

loudbang likes this.