Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Another '32, SBC/Walker question,,,,,,

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by alumcantandthd, Aug 6, 2021.

1. What bottom radiator hose did you guys find out that fits a Deuce, SBC with the raised W'pump housing, (places the fan in the middle of the radiator) and a Walker, single bottom outlet radiator?

I searched the archives, and found two suggestions for a bottom hose, Walker/SBC combination. (no mention of the raised W'pump housing) NAPA 7286 and a Gates 20242. The Gates # is 'way' too short! Right bends, and angles, but needs 2-3" to the height. The NAPA # hose could use a little more bend at the W'pump hosing, and maybe no more than an inch to the height.
    Thanks.

2. chop&drop

chop&drop

Try a Gates 20225.

-Brent- likes this.
  3. Thanks!
    Anybody else have any suggestions/part #'s?

4. Letting you know,,,,, whet to our local Advanced Parts store, and looked at a Gates 20225 hose they had. There is no way that hose will even come close to fitting, other than the inlet-outlet sizes.
    Is there another # I could try?
    Thanks

5. Lower hose when using a zips riser is the Gates # 20225, I have done this on 4 - 1932 Ford's Walker radiator/zip's riser and used the same hose on all 4 cars.

I did have to trim it a little. HRP

19Eddy30 likes this.
  6. We always used the tri 5 V8 top and bottom hoses. Using stock V8 water pump

Just Gary likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Gates 20225 is 1-3/4 id on both ends same as a
    ACDELCO 24000L that is the lower hose for most small block Chevys from 58 to 68.

I see some mid 90's sbc lower hoses having 1-3/4 on one end and 1-1/2 on the radiator end.

There is also some sbc pump in there in the mix that takes a 1.81 hose.

As far as the radiator goes, It may be that all Walkers were not created the same.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Something might have change in the last 3 years but I have had 7 1932 Walker radiators in the last 20 years or so and they have all been the same. HRP

19Eddy30 likes this.
  9. THANKS! What I might do is go to another parts store and see about a different brand name of that 20225. What I meant that there was no way it would or could fit, was the bends in the Advanced hose was way off! It looked fitting closer to the 'left' side instead of the right. The only thing that was the same was the 1 3/4" hose ends. I have a gut feeling someone put a 20225 label on another hose. This 20225 hose was the only one that had in stock.
    I anticipate to 'trim' ends to perfectly fit.

10. Groovy

Groovy

I am using Zips water pump riser on Chev350, IMG_3392.JPG IMG_3397.JPG Walker rad, So-Cal chassis. The Gates 20225 was too short.
    I found that the GATES 20675 worked very well. I had to trip off quite a bit from each end to fit. See the photos and see what you think...

lumpy 63 likes this.
  11. THANK YOU for your picture(s)!! VERY helpful! Explains everything!

However, I am running a different fuel pump than what you have. Your Gates hose 20675 wouldn't clear my pump or carb line. Your hose comes out of the bottom radiator and turns outwards towards the frame rail.

I want to another parts store today. They gave me their step ladder on wheels, and told me to go to their 'wall' of hoses, find what I was looking for! ( I guess they had cameras all back in there that would show if I stuffed numerious hoses in my pants and walked out) Spent just under an hour looking at every hose they had. Picked out one that looked 'close'.

Trimmed 1/2" off the radiator outlet end, and 2 1/8" off the W'Pump housing end! You oughta see how well this Dayco hose 'tucks' all back in there nice n' neat! I'll post a picture later.

Dayco 72373

Just Gary likes this.
  12. What do you guys think of 'this' fit? hose 1.jpg hose 2.jpg

13. Fordors

Fordors

14. deuceman32

deuceman32

I'd say that looks pretty neat and I thank you for the legwork and the posting!

15. Fogger

Fogger

What water pump riser are you using?

16. ??! I didn't know that there were different 'brand' names of W'pump risers! Sorry, I don't know. It was already on the motor when I purchased it, and decided to use it. (sheepish grin)

17. The upper hose, I used out of the middle of a newer Dodge Ram (gas) PU.

18. Fogger

Fogger

I'm aware of two pump risers, Zips uses a Chevy 6 cylinder pump and Snow White uses an German Opal. I understand that Snow White no longer has the risers and may have ceased manufacturing them. There are many treads here on the HAMB describing the risers. See if you can determine which one you have so you're prepared when it needs replacement.

19. EXCELLENT idea you have there!! Glad I thought of it,,,,,,,,,,,,. (lol)

20. 6sally6

6sally6

21. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That's what I use as well.

Just Gary likes this.
  22. Thanks for the 'archives' search. Read through 4 or 5 pages on the subject, including your posts.

Problem, when one post specified a Zips or a Snow White riser, either there was no picture or the pictures were red X's. So,,,,,,, I still don't know what riser I have.

So here are the pictures of my riser and pump, maybe you can tell me exactly what riser and pump I have, please.

Attached Files:

23. Fogger

Fogger

You Sir are the proud owner of a Zips small block Chevy water pump riser that uses a Chevy 6 cylinder pump.

24. Ok, thank you! Now which Chevy 6 cylinder? 216, 235, 250, or 292?