Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 302 distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51504bat, Aug 14, 2021.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Putting in a 302/AOD combo in my '54 Ranch Wagon. The donor engine had a carb and a mechanical AOD but it had an electronic distributor. I want to replace it with a stock type point distributor. My problem is that the electronic distributor from the 302 has an about 1/2" longer shaft than the point type replacement that I have. The replacement distributor does engage the oil pump drive shaft but only by about 5/8" or so. This to me doesn't seem like enough engagement. Anyone have any suggestions for a stock type point distributor that has the longer shaft like the electronic one I want to replace? Thanks. d1.jpg d2.jpg d3.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

If it worked for Ford, why won't it work for you?

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True, but why the longer shaft on the electronic version?

4. So, does the electronic version have a vacuum advance? If it doesn't, I'd suspect that donor motor has been messed with (or somebody 'traded' with you) and you may want to check to see if it's a roller motor. If it's not a roller cam, I'd check that the depth of the hex drive hole goes to roughly the same point as measured from the gear and if so go with it. AFAIK all the pump drive shafts are the same length.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Electronic has a vacuum advance. The donor motor and trans came out of an OT van that I drove on and off the trailer. The electronic distributor goes an additional 1/2" or so deeper onto the oil pump shaft. AFAIK the non roller 302 blocks are all the same. Every listing I find for non electric distributors all show the same distributor with the shorter snout that goes over the oil pump shaft. After I get everything hooked up and running the engine will be coming out for a complete rebuild. If I can't sort this before then I'll look into this issue further. Maybe a longer pump shaft? If there is such a thing.

6. George

George

Swap shafts, perhaps...

irishsteve likes this.
  7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looked at my photos again. Not 100% sure on the vacuum advance on the electronic distributor. I'll have to double check when I go down to the shop later. But it is a Motorcraft unit so I have no reason not to believe its orginal to the engine.

8. big bird

big bird

Don't sweat the length difference. The later distributors have a longer shaft to make it easier to engage the oil pump while stabbing the distributor. Lot easier if you are already "on" the pump when you are trying to engage the cam and "Phase" the distributor. Saved trouble on the assembly line. Oil pump drive shafts are the same length for both.

Randall, loudbang, LWEL9226 and 2 others like this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. Makes sense. Sounds like I'm worrying too much. So now I can deal with the bracket for the TV cable on a Holley 2 barrel instead of a 4 barrel like most people.

10. tjm73

tjm73

Does the new 302 have a roller cam?

11. tjm73

tjm73

Lokar makes a TV cable for that might work. TV setting is very important so make sure you get it set up and functioning right.

12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No on the roller. The Lokar cable will work but their bracket on the engine is only for a 4 barrel carb. The braket bolts to the rear carb stud so on a 2 barrel it will be too far forward. /already located a 4 barrel core to use to mock up the bracket. It needs to be spot on from what I understand since cable geometry is crucial on an AOD.

13. tjm73

tjm73

Perhaps you could make a 1/8" or so thick spacer with the mounting point in the right location to allow function.

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sure I'll be able to fab something up.

15. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

Are you sure the van didn't have a 351? That's about the difference in deck height between the two.

Lou Manglass

Rramjet1 likes this.
  16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope 302. If it would have been a 351 the oil pump shaft would have been 5/16" hex not 1/4" hex.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Late to the party, but don't worry about the difference in shaft length. I just did the same swap, everything works the same. I read somewhere the extra length was to counterbalance the taller longer rotor on the factory HEI unit.
    As to your throttle valve cable, there are diagrams out there that give you the proper dimensions. The main one is the tv cable has to pull the same distance from center as the accelerator cable. I made my bracket, I measured from the throttle shaft to the acc cable center, then the same distance in the opposite direction for the tv cable pivot point. You also have to insure both piviots are on the same plane, in other words, if the acc cable is say 15 degrees forward of vertical, the tv cable has to be 15 degrees rear of vertical. It sounds complicated, but if you draw it out on paper and study it, it will become clear to you.

warhorseracing likes this.
  18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the pointers.

19. big bird

big bird

No difference in Distributor length between 351W and 289/302. They mount at the same spot on the block, added deck height is behind the distributor. 351W has a larger diameter drive hex and the distributor body is a slightly larger diameter where it goes into the block.

20. George

George

TCI makes a Constant Pressure Valve Body that requires that the TV cable be used but reduces the precise gnat's ass dialing in.

21. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I'm going to go with the Lokar cable and bracket for the 4 barrel Holley and adapt the bracket so the dimensions are correct with the 2 barrel. Or maybe just bite the bullet and go with an after market 4 barrel manifold and appropriate sized Holley carb and be done. Thanks for all the input on the distributor situation and the TV cable as well.