Register now to get rid of these ads!

cragar ss, cool or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr. h, Aug 2, 2007.

1. e z i

e z i

Not good..on anything...

1pickup, mcsfabrication and Deuces like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Uni-lug = Dangerous!...:mad::rolleyes:

3. Rand Man

Rand Man

I would like to know the age of the members who don’t like them on anything. If you are of a certain age, they are the ultimate. Those that don’t like them must be younger than sixty.

Gasser 57, Cooon, seb fontana and 5 others like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

61 here and I'd rather have AR 5-spoke Torq-Thrust mags....

olscrounger likes this.
  5. Rand Man

Rand Man

I like those ETs a lot.

mcsfabrication, AHotRod and Deuces like this.
  6. George

George

yes, Cragar had them on display at Louisville.

7. Rand Man

Rand Man

That’s a damn shame. Maybe I should buy a set of those ETs, and put Cragar caps on for a joke?

8. A Boner

A Boner

Bling looking, not race car looking!

9. 68 years old and have always liked them!

T-bird pic #4.jpg

10. oldsman41

oldsman41

Depends on the car

JimSibley likes this.
  11. e z i

e z i

I'm 65, and I've never liked them, they look cheesy to me. I like American 5 spoke however, but only on the right car.

Deuces and Nitroholic like this.
  12. AHotRod

AHotRod

I had them on my 37 Chevy back in '78
    Everyone likes different things.

My 37 Chevy.jpg

13. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

I'm 52 and I love them. I've had quite a few sets over the years. Those and the keystone classics are my favorites.

65pacecar likes this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I always figured they were good cruising for chicks material, sparkly and all in the night lights. Seemed to work for me, or maybe it was my incredibly good looks. Probably the Cragars.
    Impala1.jpg

15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

16. Jones St.

Jones St.

17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-4-30_3-10-12.png A mild custom 1965 El Camino

Hello,

I bought a dealer optioned 1965 El Camino in 1964. I sat down with a couple of local Chevrolet dealers in the Long Beach area. I was destined to go to college in San Jose, California and I had just sold the Flathead 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery and my 58 Impala was the last standing hot rod cruiser from our beginnings.

A young friend that I knew had expressed his liking for my Impala and said if I ever wanted to sell it, tell him first. So, not advertising the sale, I saw him and told him of the pending sale if he still wanted it. He still had a year to go for his senior year and I had known him for three years.

His jaw dropped and when I explained to him that I needed a different car/truck/station wagon for my surfing and desert motorcycle racing, he understood. We towed the desert motorcycles in the Impala with a trailer hooked up to the trailer hitch we used for the Willys Coupe. That one time was all it took to start the search for a better way to transport our motorcycles. Plus, our mom said she would pitch in, if it was something she could drive when I was home from college. That was good…but I wanted a 4 speed and I remember trying to teach her to drive the Impala when it was a stick shift 3 speed. Wow!
    upload_2023-4-30_3-16-22.png

Jnaki

My jaw dropped when I saw this orange 65 El Camino with a 4 speed lever coming out of the floor.
    upload_2023-4-30_3-16-55.png
    Once I got over that addition, then the wheels made the El Camino looking rather exciting.

The S&S wheels were within reach of purchase back then, but I wanted to save money for longer surf vacations and road trips to Baja, Mexico. The S&S wheels made this orange El Camino look cool and racy.
    upload_2023-4-30_3-18-39.png
    But, as I was wandering around taking some photos, I noticed a different addition:

upload_2023-4-30_3-19-14.png 350 65 El Camino?

Well, since I could not order a 396 motor with a 4 speed and bucket seats from any Chevy dealer in So Cal, this must have been a custom addition. It looked so good on the front fender! My friend had purchased a 66 El Camino and was able to get a 396/4 speed. We all know 350 did not show up until 1967. But, not in an El Camino, until later.

Gasser 57 and chevy57dude like this.
  18. 20230430_073900.jpg
    A local kid saw some Cragars I was selling last year. "Hey, I've got some wheels like that" he said. One made it here last week plus a single Keystone. The other 3 are supposed to be coming. We'll see..

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like this look about the most of all that have been posted, but if this was my car, it would have "8-Lugs" on it.

So no, I personally am not a fan of Cragers.

SS327 likes this.
  20. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Cragar made the Grand Prix for a couple of years :rolleyes:
    Cragar Grand Prix.jpg

mad mikey and Rand Man like this.
  21. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

So many Mopars had Cragars on them you would have thought it was a factory option...

mad mikey and Just Gary like this.
  22. Rand Man

Rand Man

So the older style rounded spoke is available new now?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

80 here--never cared for them-never had a set.

210superair likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Worked for this teenager!
    20160322_174901.jpg

Gasser 57, mad mikey, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  25. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Wait, are you saying they have new Round Spokes? Pics needed!

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My avatar, upload_2023-4-30_18-18-53.png wearing AR TT's. Looks good but I have been toying with the idea of replacing them with Cragar SS. I haven't had a set since I was a kid, I think I need to do this. 15x7's and 15x8's. Hmmm.

mad mikey and chevy57dude like this.
  27. e z i

e z i

I'm 65. They've always looked cheap and ugly to me...

Tman and 210superair like this.
  28. Never liked 'em, but I know they're popular. They look right at home on a muscle car. But then again I don't really care for muscle cars.

29. They look good on the right car, but they're not for every car. They were ubiquitous in the late '60s and early '70s, if you went to any show it seemed like every other car had 'em, especially the 'show rods'. Cragar promoted the hell out of them, even some big-name pro stock and gasser racers were running them in spite of how heavy they are, probably spurred on by free wheels and lucrative contingency money. Keystone made a run at competing with Cragar at the track but didn't get the same penetration.

I'll agree with Dan, they have more of a muscle-car flavor than anything else. Never looked quite right on any hot rods that were even approximately 'traditional', typically seen 'back in the day' on trifive Chevys and '60-64 big cars as cars that fall into the HAMB era. Rarely if ever seen on traditional customs.

IMO, they fall into the same category as TorqueThrust Ds; introduced at the very tail end of the Hamb era, it wasn't until well after '65 that they were seen in any numbers (much, much later for the Ds) so neither actually qualifies as a 'traditional' wheel.

But that wouldn't stop me from using them on the right car...

Tman, 210superair and mad mikey like this.
  30. 1pickup

1pickup

Cragar SS wheels are like assholes. And they belong on a red Camaro. Or red Mustang. Or an Orange Road Runner. etc... Put them on your car and be different, just like everybody else.

jimmy six likes this.