Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Blue ribbon at the county fair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis4x4, Aug 13, 2021.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

One of three blue ribbon quilts my wife displayed at the La Plata County fair this week.

E5D466C1-B093-4DAF-9D0D-B31FF7FF8AF2.jpeg

2. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

So neat ! Good job ,don't have a clue how that's done , transferring neat old car pictures on to fabric .Congratulations .

loudbang likes this.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'll take 1700 Lbs of that orange T roadster at the top of the quilt, even though the steering wheel looks to be on the "wrong" side.

Congrats to your wife for the Blue Ribbon. Neat quilt.

Lynn

48fordnut and loudbang like this.
  4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Your wife is very talented, and good taste in vehicles. Lets see the others please.

loudbang likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice, congrats to your wife. There is a lot of work in that one.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Congratulations to your wife. I have won Blue ribbons at the Fair for vegtables, flowers and canning and it is a lot of work.

loudbang likes this.
  7. williebill

williebill

Beautiful !

loudbang likes this.
  8. 2935ford

2935ford

Very, very nice! :)

loudbang likes this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

excellent - time for a Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer

Flathead Dave and loudbang like this.
  10. Fordors

Fordors

Very nice, great design work.

loudbang likes this.
  11. earlymopar

earlymopar

I just placed my order. Please use FedEx.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife has done a few the same given some away and auctioned some off for NSRA New Zealand. Have not seen the cars on the border though, cool.

loudbang likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hey D,

That is some work. These days, most photos can be put on material by any silk screen printer companies. But, it still takes time to plan out the layout and final copy. Kudos.

The silk screen companies have been around for many years, but when we were into photography, I discovered a formula in a little ad from a photo magazine newsletter that allow me to paint on the solution onto any item. Under the lights of the enlarger in the dark room, the image shot down to the painted solution came out as a clear photo.

Have you ever seen a hot rod photographed onto a smooth, flat beach stone used for a paperweight? The liquid solution was somewhat thick and I covered redwood slats from one of my photo frames and shot another hot rod photo on to the wood.

So, hot does a solution get developed? The flat smooth beach stone was easy as I could dip it in the developing trays like a real photo. Problem solved. But, that custom redwood slat frame took a little doing, like dripping developing solution over the coated surface, over the first tray. Then doing the same thing over the next stop tray and finally the fix tray had the same dripping technique.

All of that to make a little extra cash, because it was different. I should have stuck with the smooth flat beach stones to create an accessory for hot rodder's coffee tables or a desk paperweight for office desks. But, a flat single piece of old wood did look nice with a hot rod photo printed on the surface, though.

Jnaki

It was those old times of doing something creative and trying to have it pay off in the long run. I made several for friends as gifts and did not sell any to a warehouse business. But, it was something new and unusual.

Your quilt also reminds me of a project that my wife and I did for a huge wall hanging in our old house stairwell. The idea came from one of my wife’s grandma’s old quilts that she gave us a long time ago. Since the old quilt did not go with anything in our décor, we decided to make a giant wall hanging for our blank stairwell.

Guess which ones my wife designed/applied and which ones I did. It was a fun project. As much as we liked the old "grandma made quilt", our designs and color went better with our decor.

upload_2021-8-26_4-31-24.png

14. Dorrssacadilac

Dorrssacadilac

excellent - time for a Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer