Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Beyond help.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caceo, Aug 12, 2021.

1. caceo

caceo

This is probably the wrong place to post this thread but I am not sure where else to do it.... (my apologies Ryan)
    Any recommendation for a good car transporter for a "project" (yes, it rolls ok) to come from San Diego to Portland Oregon?
    Most transporters I see on the 'Dex are for cross country--all I need is a miserly little shipment from SoCal to PNW (just up the West Coast)... any recommendatiosn?

Thanks Guys

2. While the 'Dex haulers focus on east-west, your route could coincide with other planned hauls for them, especially if the time frame is open. I would reach out to them and see. Other options would be go get it yourself or try CL. Maybe a friend with a pickup and trailer?

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  3. Rent a U-Haul pick up and trailer.

find a tilt n load that would haul it for you.

4. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Miserly little? At 1082 miles not a small trip, good luck

5. atch

atch

Send a message (here) to BenD.

6. HAHHAHAHA ... BenD .... as in Bendy .... as in Stretch Armstrong HAHAHAHAHAHA ... (dang, just tinkled a little). I may need professional help :D:rolleyes:

(of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most)

hotrodjack33, wraymen and Budget36 like this.
  7. i7083

i7083
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol. You enjoyed that way too much...:D

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

@BenD helped me out with delivery of a front end from Arizona to CA Bay Area-ish. Would recommend again!

guthriesmith, VANDENPLAS and wraymen like this.
  9. Good thing the last name wasn’t “Dover” or you might of had a bigger accident.;)

10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and without those little blue pills, I'm a little "bendy" myself:eek::eek::eek::eek:

VANDENPLAS and wraymen like this.
  11. Lol...you guys crack me up. On a serious note Ben Delozier is a good suggestion. :D

VANDENPLAS and wraymen like this.
  12. The HAMB haulers are all mid-west based and the NW seems to be purgatory. Myself and several guys I know who needed cars hauled into the NW had zero luck with those guys. Only one of them even returned my call, to turn down the job. We all went with brokers, who put us into contact with west-coast-based independents who did the job. If you need closed transport that runs up the price sharply. My advice is to get a guy who has a commercial-style trailer/tractor set-up, not some guy with a dually pick-up and a fifth-wheel trailer. I had a car hauled from Madura CA to Olympia WA about 6 years ago, cost me about $700. I should have kept his contact info, but didn't... sorry.

Good luck!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are some guys who haul up and down I 5 on a regular basis. I was seeing posts from a guy on FB who was spending a lot of time running up and down the west coast but haven't seen anything lately.

I'd say that the major issue with haulers and the PNW is that they may not get a back haul as they would on one of their regular routes. Plus in the west everything is a lot of miles apart. That might make for a lot of unloaded unpaid miles unless they can get a load going in that direction.

Crazy Steve and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe an option is to get it hauled 1/2 way or so, would allow you a long day trip to meet up and haul it home.
    I/e San Diego to Sacramento. May be a HAMBr in the Sacramento area that can hold the car for a day or so?

15. And that was the case with the guy I ended up using. He had an older semi with a commercial-style trailer and told me he got enough business to have a semi-regular route. He moved 'specialty' cars between dealers, cars for people who moved and couldn't drive all of them there, and private party sales like me. When he delivered mine, he said that this load was all collector cars of one sort or another.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. @Crazy Steve and @Mr48chev that’s how I got my 63 mercury from the east cost of Canada , a trucking company that would haul cars n stuff to there warehouse in Ontario when they had a part load, very reasonable considering it’s a 2 day trek.

I had to pick the car up at their yard which was about 30 minutes from my house.

it’s another option.

17. With COVID came the acceleration of phasing in
    more employees to work from home.

The migration to the rural pockets north of Tacoma
    and west into the Olympic Peninsula combined with
    the rural areas north of Seattle to the border has made
    pulling a trailer along I-5 a roll of the dice.

Then there are the Wildfires ….

The smoke started today north of Salem, Oregon
    where I picked up this 1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Woodie Wagon
    headed to Southern California ….

It has continued solid to Grants Pass where I stopped for the day.

716A9E39-159F-4049-9A2D-6C5D49309B9E.jpeg

E061C22F-B80D-419B-B800-042C954AF830.jpeg

Jim

Click Here To See Where I Am Today
    What My Actual Customers Say Click Here
    Click Here To See Vehicles I Have Hauled

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  18. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Call around to some of the used car dealers,they usually have a line on someone to move cars for them,or call some of the auction yards,they have a bunch of regular truckers to move cars between the yards.Maybe even call some local trucking companies and see if they go to that area,it will fit in a dry van trailer,might need a rollback to load it?. harvey

19. 5window

5window

Worst case scenario, there are quite a few commercial car haulers listed in Hemming's. May well be more than you want to pay, but that's probably going to be the case with almost every option. Good luck.

20. modagger

modagger

4B53B996-B83A-4426-A8C9-B6FCD71D0A04.png I wish I could take credit for making this up, but, it’s real!

“Hi, where do you go to school?” “Uh, Jackson High in New London.” Oh, you mean Ben Dover!” :p:p:p

21. Phil MaCrakin applied for the principle job at that school. An astute board member nipped it in the bud.

22. modagger

modagger

23. Honestly a Quality Transporter cannot do 10% of the requests he fields! I get 6-10 inquiries per DAY & most of them would book with me immediately if I was available. This year I have added a couple of more guys to my "recommend list" after vetting them well, but I think I am running them ragged with all the customers I send them!:p

I have been just north of Seattle 3 times in the last 5 months & will be back up there the 1st week of October, but as always I am already booked both ways. Actually loading 2 miles from where I am delivering. Sorry guys, it is just impossible for me to do more than I already am!!!

I would have recommended David Phelps from the O'dex section because I knew he was taking one to LA , but just talked to him today & was able to give him one coming back east.

Not sure if Steve Hammatt has retired completely or not, but he is honest & a car guy as well. He used to run up & down the coast all the time. Sorry no contact info for him.

God Bless
    Bill Squires(owner)
    Bill's Auto Works
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/