Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank Build, NZ.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, May 3, 2021.

1. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I'm concerned that you're going to have some big alignment headaches. Maybe you should consider adding a double u-joint yoke before it becomes a big deal to move major components.

Yep, I am fully aware that free advice is usually worth exactly what you paid for it so this is just a suggestion for something to think about.
    [​IMG]

2. Thanks, i have spent a lot of time getting the alignment right. That is a cool yoke. JW

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. OK, i now have it on all four wheels and before i weld the radius rods back on i would like to know what you think of twelve degrees of caster, this is what i have the spring pad set at but that can be changed. So.. your thoughts? JW

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  4. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Its a roller!! lets see a photo. My tanks got 7 degrees caster, but I think more is better with straight line cars, need some of the more experienced land racers to chime in, suppose they're all at speedweek. Been watching all the pics and vids from this weeks action, sure does make you whana be there.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  5. Two year ago i was arriving at Wendover for Speedweek and man did it rain! SCTA have a max. caster of twenty degrees so i went just above half way, my RPU is set at about six degrees and tracks well with good self centering so i did some long thinking that going much faster (very hopeful) should have a bit more. Will push it outside in the weekend and get some photos. I should have the seat back from work with its mods done to lower it around the chassis hoop. JW

AndersF, loudbang and rjgideon like this.
  6. SCTA has no max caster. 12 is far too little. @mctim64 was looking at making some changes to his roadster. Most suggested 15 to 20 AS A BASE. Like my setup, adjustability is king. I think mine is temporarily tacked at 18?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    clem, deadbeat, 26 T Ford RPU and 3 others like this.
  7. I ran 18* this year. Very stable on the long course at "almost" 200 mph.

clem, XXL__, 26 T Ford RPU and 3 others like this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Anything over 20 degrees of caster, requires steering stops.

9. And you will know this if you ever try to push a chopper, FED or Altered around the shop! Think wheel flop!!!!!

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Never had a chopper, but the other 2, yes.

11. Thanks guys, that gives me something to work with.:) JW

loudbang likes this.
  12. I would use a Greek Coupler before doing that. Mark Williams sells them

Guy Patterson and loudbang like this.
  13. I found the thing about 20 degrees caster and yes it has to have stop over 20, i will be fitting stops anyway. JW

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  14. Sitting on all four for the first time. I have ordered two more lengths of pipe in preparation for starting the roll cage soon. JW
    [​IMG]

AndersF, deadbeat, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  15. I find this shot rather exciting as it's taken a while to get there. JW
    [​IMG]

AndersF and loudbang like this.
  16. Seat mods are done and lets it drop down over the frame hoop. need to work out its mountings. JW
    [​IMG]

17. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Looking good JW, big moment in a build when all four wheels are on. Think I might have to rethink my caster angle Tman's advise makes it sound like I'm way off.

18. I'm starting to think my target of 150 mph is a pipe dream and feel that 12 -14* will be OK. I was just reading about the worlds fastest Model A, V4F and 200 hp and under 120 mph...mmmmmmmm. :rolleyes: JW

19. What are you doing to address the firewall between you and the radiator?

loudbang, Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  20. Metal firewall form fitted to the body, most likely 3 mm aluminium with a flange around the edge that is sealed with the body. How this will be sealed has been on my mind of late. The rules state it must be sealed but not sure of what sealing method, was thinking of something compressible. JW

21. 3m makes a fireproof sealant that comes in a tube. I have also seen fireplace type rope seals used between the body and bulkhead. Definately worth talking to the SCTA Safety Chair. It has been a couple years since I asked.

Here are a couple.

https://www.grainger.com/product/STI-Firestop-Putty-3BE63

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40065441/

22. Thanks for the info. I will contact them and find out. I like the sound of something in a tube. JW

loudbang, AndersF and Stogy like this.
  23. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Yes 3M makes a fireproof sealant and it is used also in electrical trade in explosion proof fixtures so can check those supply houses it is the same stuff

loudbang, AndersF, Tman and 2 others like this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Since you are using a fiberglass body, it is required that you line the cockpit with metal. I have more pics to share, including the cage, if you want. Great job ! IMG_6073.JPG IMG_6075.JPG IMG_6076.JPG

The 39 guy, JamieUC, deadbeat and 4 others like this.
  25. That shouldn't be a problem, that looks very nice, Marty and wish i had met you at the Nugget show 2016 . JW

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Sorry I wasn't around at The Nugget when you dropped by. I am planning on going next year, hope we can meet up ! These are pics of Jim Lindsay's Lakester, and this is how I seal the bulkhead. Starting with a strip of .063, I bend a 90 on one side and a mild kick on the edge of one side. Shrink the flat flange the the shape, and bolt it on to the bulkhead. IMG_1366.JPG IMG_1370.JPG IMG_1371.JPG

The 39 guy, mctim64, deadbeat and 2 others like this.
  27. That's very similar to what i had in mind. What is the thickness of the drivers area paneling? JW

loudbang likes this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

.063 .

29. Ok cool, we are in metrics here so that is 1.6 mm. Thanks for the info.:cool: JW

loudbang likes this.