Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Just an observation about oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Aug 6, 2021.

1. A sensible wedding gift. On a side note, a fondue pot is great for checking the opening temp. of a thermostat.

Budget36, trollst and mrspeedyt like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At one time but no longer, banned in taxifornia for is for sure; don’t know other states..

3. Clik

Clik

Diesel oils changed recently due to pollution equipment on new diesels. Check zinc levels in your new oil vs old oil. Newer versions of the same brand diesel oil often have added anti soot chemicals etcetera.

trollst likes this.
  4. big john d

big john d
    from ma

i find it at the local napa

5. 5window

5window

Agree, but some of my older equipment calls for 30 weight.

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's because the newer, better oils were not available then so they didn't know any better.

jimmy six and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  7. 5window

5window

Could be. Not sure I know better ,either! :)

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My y stock calls for 20…. I looked but use 10-30.

5window likes this.
  9. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Tractor Supply or Wally World

10. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    from ct

Didn't read every post, this may have already mentioned, maybe the new oil filter was faulty? Seen a vid on YouTube where a guy cut open several unused oil filters and some of the filters were pretty bad in quality. The best ones are Napa gold and Wix, both made by the same manufacturer and branded for the distributors.

Guy Patterson likes this.
  11. fordor41

fordor41

I read that one of the dollar stores got sued for selling out dated oil, oil that was not recommended for any motor built after the '30's or so.

12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-30_3-57-43.png
    Hello,

As a teenager and into building motors and hot rods, oil was always a topic of discussion. Our idea is that what is recommended by the top racers in the area was good enough for us. 30 wt. Valvoline was the top brand and the one used for drag racing was the same one we used in our 58 Impala. To us, oil was oil. It did the job of keeping everything running smoothly. Sure, like all teenage drivers, we always checked the oil with the dipstick. But that was not checking for anything other than being low.

We never found any particles in the oil, raced as much as we could and always had a can of 30 wt. Valvoline sitting in the trunk or under a compartment of the Flathead Sedan Delivery.

Speaking of the Flathead powered Sedan Delivery, we were not poor, but maintenance for our cars came out of our savings and earning money in various ways. So, when a can of Valvoline was being used in a Flathead motor that showed no signs of leaks, drips or smoke from the exhaust pipe, it was cause for some decisions.

Do we take the Flathead and rebuild the whole thing from scratch to solve a mysterious problem, like several expert Flathead mechanics said, or was everyone guessing? There was no guarantee that by rebuilding the Flathead was going to solve the problem. The former owner was a great mechanic and he would not put something in a car he sold to anyone with any kinds of faults. We all knew where to find him on Friday and Saturday nights.

So, despite what expert mechanics said, we could not take the time of a total rebuild due to school attendance, surf trips and just cruising around having fun. So, we needed alternatives to spending money with can by can oil for the Flathead. We found a reclaimed oil place at our neighborhood non-name gas station. It was coming out of a 55 gallon container with a pump.
    upload_2021-8-30_3-58-38.png
    This is/was home away from home for a gallon+ of reclaimed/recycled oil in our own containers. The reclaimed oil pump drums were usually located on the side or rear of the gas station and we had to pump the oil into our gallon cans.

Jnaki

“Reclamation may take place off-site where the vendor of the reclamation service drains the existing charge and replaces it with previously reclaimed oil. Reclamation usually involves the lube oil being filtered and cleaned of debris, sludge and fine particles. Centrifuging also occurs to remove suspended particles and some water. The reclaiming of a lube oil is essentially a non-chemical process that restores in-service lube oil for reuse in a system.”

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-cars-and-engines.994904/page-2#post-13609316 reclaimed oil

“In simple terms, Lubricating oil that is processed to be used over and over again. I could pump in a “gallon” of reclaimed oil at less than the cost of a can of Valvoline. That fit my bankroll and we were all happy campers… The 120 mile round trip to the Camp Pendleton surf spot in South San Clemente from Long Beach took a gallon.
    My Flathead was an oil burning mystery.”

“Even though it never leaked a drop, had any oil on any surface above or below, or had smoke of any kind coming out of the exhaust pipes, it used oil. So, the mechanic recommended the recycled oil. Maybe he was smarter, as the recycled oil was thinner and still did the fine job of lubricating the Flathead on those long drives up and down the coast.”

“The Flathead motor ran as well as any motor that is continually tuned, checked over daily, coddled, and loved the daily roadwork. The motor never leaked any oil, burned oil or had any nasty drops on my mom’s pristine concrete backyard pad. The only thing it had was a mysterious oil usage that got so expensive, that I started using reclaimed oil from the local discount gas station and kept in a gallon container for our long trips.”

We started with a fill up of reclaimed oil and a short 60 mile or less, road trip to South Orange County, used up all of that reclaimed oil. So, out came the gallon in reserve and we made it back to Long Beach, running just fine all the way home.

Our experience with a Flathead for power was good, when overlooking the maintenance of the mysterious oil usage and those steep coastal roadways. YRMV

13. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I use 15/40 Diesel oil in my cars... I add ZDDP when I change it & use Wix racing filters.
    But when I was a young'n, I had a '59 Comet with the straight 6 and a column shift 3-speed. I worked at the corner Sunoco station and used drain oil in it, 'cause I was making $1.65 an hour, had a girl friend and couldn't afford new oil @ .28 cents a quart. That's when I learned what the term "windowed the engine" meant. On my way (late) to work, I was pushin' hard down Rte. 64 when I heard a racket from under the hood that turned out not to be opportunity knockin'... I walked the remaining mile to the station and, after getting my ass chewed for being late, the boss went back with the wrecker and dragged my leakin' car in. We went & opened the hood to find a rod hanging out of the side of the block. The boss scratched his head and muttered; "Well there's your problem!"

Truckdoctor Andy, Budget36 and G-son like this.
  14. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Well... The window in the block was just the symptom, the problem was deeper in. ;)

Budget36 likes this.
  15. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Exactly... Lesson learned!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  16. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

At the Texaco station I worked at when in High School we had a tank attached to the canopy pole in the full serve lane. When ever we added oil to a customer car we would pop the open empty can with the pour spout still inserted upside down to drain. Amazing how much oil would quickly accumulate in that tank! It was a mix of every viscosity we sold, but it worked great in our old Chevy pickups with the old 292 inline 6 oil burners. Mosquitoes didn’t stand a chance when my buddy and I were cruising after work! Best part was that the boss didn’t care what we did with that oil just as long as the drives were spotless, so our old truck’s drinking problem was FREE!

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I maintained a fleet of firetrucks for 33 years , the first 18 years in a small shop in not the best part of town! Since the shop was small I stored my used oil outside in 55 gallon barrels mounted horizontally with a valve in the lower position….. funny thing, I never had to empty those barrels in that 18 years! After I got the new big shop I had to empty the used oil container inside the shop, regularly! Sure wished I could have kept those old barrels!

Bones

18. I thought Wolfs Head was some bargain basement stuff. I haven’t seen that stuff around here in years.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  19. Weldemup

Weldemup
    from Central,NY

I've been an auto tech at the U.S.P.S. for 38 years.Around 20 years ago we used a re-refined motor oil from Safety-Kleen for about a 10 year period.
    According to them they re-distilled the waste oil like they do with crude oil then they add an additive formulae.
    During that time I never remember any lubrication problems.
    The stuff looked and smelled like new oil.