Register now to get rid of these ads!

Preparing For The Future

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 11, 2021.

1. silent rick

silent rick

danny, ed is talking post counts, not discussions. the 52-59 ford club has 8,849 discussions but over 80,000 posts.

either way, that's a lot of activity. when the social clubs first came about, weren't they billed as a place to go to talk about off topic stuff to keep it off the main board?

Texas57, dirty old man and Stogy like this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

Let's just go back to this. We can cut down all of our pictures to 400x300 and hotlink them from a Tinypic account. We can all talk about how Bluebear shouldn't have gotten fired and start 1/3 of all threads with "WAAAAYYYY O/T but...."

Screenshot 2021-08-12 at 15-29-04 Viewing forum Hokey Ass Message Board.png

Louie, AHotRod, warbird1 and 3 others like this.
  3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

When I started the Old Farts Club in 2009, it became very active, but when it wandered away from my interests I stopped going there. Ed's Hot Rod Veterans replaced it for me, and I still go there daily. I would miss that group very much. If there were only the Main Board, I could live with that; I'd just be in a much larger group with less focus on my interests.

4. I am certainly not against social groups but Ryan's numbers are pretty telling of how infrequently they are getting used regardless of what people who use them think. Using Ryan's numbers all together social groups get a grand total of just over 60 page views a day (that's views not posts)so if there are say 10 fairly active social groups that's just 6 views a day per forum. Seems like a lot of work for Ryan and moderators to have to monitor 10 plus separate forums for an average of 6 views a day.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  5. silent rick

silent rick

awww, do you remember those days? i wouldn't miss the social groups. but i would hate to see more off topic stuff being snuck on to the hamb. it might mean more work for you moderators.

6. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

I trust Ryan and if he says it's best for the Forum I'm behind him 100%.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  7. Several of us on the 52-59 Ford Group have become Alliance Members to see if it will help, support us, we'll support you.

8. Paul2748

Paul2748

Can't it be more selective on the groups issue. Some groups are very active and the loss of these . I belong to the 52-59 group and it is very active and is the only one I use on a daily basis. Without it I have no reason to be on here. I am sure that is the case with a lot of the other members of the group.

Texas57, down-the-road and frnkeore like this.
  9. "I hold myself responsible for your privacy. "
    This statement alone is good enough for me... and freaking rare when it comes to anything web related.
    Thank you Ryan!

warbird1, alanp561, Baumi and 4 others like this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ll be sorry to see the social forum for 52-59 Fords leave. I read and contributed at least once a day. I’m sure it was the most used by far. So many problems were fixed and experiences shared with folks not chiming in who were really not interested in our specific year Ford. It’s progress in security and that’s the point. Thanks for looking out for us..

11. for real, for real :(

guthriesmith and pprather like this.
  12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and still more folks whining about loosing their precious Social Forums...yet they haven't seemed to value that HAMB feature enough to support it, and become Alliance members.

alanp561 likes this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hats off to you guys:cool::cool::cool:

14. The "Holley 94" group has a wealth of info. If in fact Social Groups go away, is there a way to save this forum to my computer before that happens?

lothiandon1940 and pprather like this.
  15. Jack, Say what you will but knowing Jeff and the amount of time & effort he has spent growing the 52-59 social group and the massive amount of information (FAQ's) to the tune of 164 speaks volumes just how important the information concerning these cars that may be lost.

Yeah, I would say there are several social site worth trying to saving or at the very least the huge amount of in depth how to's. HRP

16. Could the several ACTIVE Social Group threads be moved to the Antiquated area?

17. It’s always easy to spend someone else’s money and decide how much work they should do for your own benefit.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  18. I thought the original idea of social groups was to offer the guys who's cars didn't measure up to the '64 and earlier time period pertaining to things that were not considered 100% traditional, 5 sped transmissions, 4 bars, etc.

I would say a very small percentage of the hot rod's, trucks & custom's would fit in that category, the cars that have been excepted in the social groups my find themselves left out in the cold with no platform to share their work, posting what has been excepted all of a sudden will be deleted and the reason being OFF TOPIC.

Social groups like the South Carolina group hasn't had any real activity in a couple of years, also the deuce owners group are both prime candidates for the axe to fall. HRP

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    mcgyver, BamaMav and dirty old man like this.
  19. But isn't that kind of the point people are trying to make. You (not you specifically) have joined a site with a specific set of rules but you don't want to follow those rules so you want that site to provide you with a special area where you can break those rules and you also don't participate or participate minimally in every other aspect of the board. How does that make sense from Ryan's perspective?

Again I see why people want to keep the social groups I just don't see why they are here in the first place if what they want to contribute has nothing to do with what this board is about and then complain when it is going to be taken away.

If it's on topic there is no reason it can't be on the main board so everyone can benefit from it.

Magfiend, fauj, chopped and 2 others like this.
  20. When I joined the was a lot of stuff overlooked even though it was off topic, you have been around long enough to remember the s-10 frame saw's , the off topic engines, the mustang II front suspension, all that is gone now, but as time marches on period correct will eliminate a lot of members, none of my cars are 100% traditional.

I just hope there will be a place for guys like me. HRP

fauj, BamaMav, frnkeore and 2 others like this.
  21. ...........Once again, I'm sure you and others really don't want to know where Maryland HAMBers are meeting for lunch. Why tie up space on the main discussion forum when there is a focused social forum for it?

Texas57 and dirty old man like this.
  22. But Ryan should have to spend time and money providing a special place so a handful of guys can plan lunch?

I wouldn't think anyone would mind if a Maryland thread came up on the main board. It's easy enough to not look at threads that have no interest for someone. I am sure everyone does it every single day.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Magfiend and hotrodjack33 like this.
  23. evintho

evintho

That's kinda short sighted. The '52-'59 Ford group has tons of useful information and how-to's on it. It's not a place to 'shoot the breeze'. Many problems have been posed and solutions provided in that group. My entire build thread, step-by-step with pics is posted on there. It's a traditional build however, I doubt it would be accepted on the main board due to two OT features. Induction and steering. It'd be a shame to lose all that info, not to mention the six page sticky with hundreds of links to relevant subjects/vendors/etc. In addition, just recently I've posted to the group calling on everyone to step up and become Alliance members and many have, including myself. As stated, there are a few social forums that are very active and need to be saved!

24. ...Perhaps you could join the Alliance and help him out with that.

KJSR, seadog and alanp561 like this.
  25. My comment had nothing to do with the '52-59 group.

26. I was an alliance member for years. I stopped when two years running I bought the Rodders Journal/ Alliance pack and ended up with 2 magazines for every year I bought the deal.

fauj likes this.
  27. ........So, your issue is with the Rodder's Journal not Ryan.

KJSR, hotrodjack33 and dirty old man like this.
  28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks!!! You're buying, right?;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

No dog in the fight-so to speak- but can the existing content in those forums be downloaded ?

Texas57, alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.