Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Coolest hot rod you inherited

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim38, Aug 4, 2021.

1. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Not a hot rod, and didn't inherit it, but dad died 4th of July, and I bought this to be sure it wouldn't leave the family. Some gold chainer was gonna buy it, so much to the consternation of my wife, I bought a boat I didn't need with money I didn't have. It's like a wooden version of dad though, couldn't watch her be towed away....
    20210703_143202.jpg

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

Didn't inherit any cars and at this stage in life, it is more a case of who to pass them onto since I Don't have any kids.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a '49 Merc.

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After all the years of my son riding in my roadster, I have passed it on to him to enjoy as I did for 300,000 happy miles since 1968.

6. atch

atch

My best friend died a couple of years ago. He had many half done projects and he had seen me drooling over his '31 2-dr sedan over the years. When he died I assumed that all his possessions would go to his nephews who were his beneficiaries. I would have been very happy for it to have gone that way as he and his late wife adored those kids (they never had any children themselves).

I was very surprised to learn shortly thereafter that he had TOD'd (transfer on death) 5 of his half done project cars to 5 of his closest friends, of whom I am fortunate to have been one.

His sedan is now in my shop, which until a couple of days ago didn't have enough room to walk around stuff. On Thursday Clarence (my avatar) went to the body/paint man who is going to do the last redo during my lifetime. I have spent much of this morning staring at the sedan and planning what do do with it. Of course I have been dreaming of this day ever since I learned that Ed had left me the sedan. It currently has a V-6 GM engine/auto in it that has never been fired since Ed bought it many years ago. I am thinking that the way to go, though, is to rebuild the 425 nailhead that I pulled from a '64 Buick convertible many years ago in hopes that someday I'd have a use for it. I coincidently also have all the required pieces to put a 4-speed behind it and a factory dual quad intake for it. When done it undoubtedly won't be able to keep up with flamedabone's sedan, but it might turn out to be the quickest car I'll have ever owned. If I find after driving it for a while that I'm too old (70 right now) for gear shifting I can always switch out the 4-sp for the T-400 that originally came with the 425.

Like others have said above, I'd rather have more time with Ed than his sedan though.

And; oh-by-the-way; my 40 year old daughter claimed Clarence for hers upon my passing when I occasionally let her drive it to high school. Upon my passing it will go to her. I've owned it for 48 years and I just hope that she gets as much enjoyment out of it as I have.

Thor1, hfh, slim38 and 5 others like this.
  7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I would have gladly left my avatar to my grandson but fate had a different plan. My dear grandson BooBoo left earth five days ago.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  8. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nochop,No words can express.

safetythird and nochop like this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yeah Dean, we covered a lot of road together, I wish you could have met him.

10. scotts52

scotts52

Feel free to adopt me. ;)

210superair likes this.
  11. scotts52

scotts52

So very sad to hear that.

12. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Daddy!

13. Uncle Daddy!!

210superair likes this.
  14. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

I'm one of the lucky ones here, my dad is still around. Sunday we hit a local show together. Someday, hopefully a long time from now, that Falcon will be in my garage. For now, I'm glad I get to hang out and hear the same old lies he's been tellin' for years. That Comet is his too... car show.jpg

Cosmo49, 210superair and slim38 like this.
  15. Chief 64

Chief 64

I am sorry for your loss. I cannot even imagine the pain in your family now.

nochop likes this.
  16. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

what were you thinking what was in the will

17. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

When my dad died all of the cars and tools were sold as my oldest brother just hated the car hobby and my dad. Was lucky an got a small block plane he used all the time as i remember doing stuff around our house so it has to do

18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

This picture was Taken 20 years ago. The light from my headlights can’t seem to penetrate the darkness that has settled in the shop 5107CDF1-D26F-47EA-9BFC-FC4B00B4B7CD.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    rod1 likes this.
  19. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I feel your pain, It is a club no family wants to be in (the loss,of a child) My Scotty boy has been gone since 10/13/2013 (@39)
    God Bless

rod1 and nochop like this.
  20. Can't post pics currently due to some family dramas. But I recently inherited a Ford Tudor. She will be needing some love but I can't wait. I was amassing parts for my own build and then having this baby come in to my life.
    Truly excited to be a part of this community

Thor1 and slim38 like this.
  21. Truly sorry to hear that mate. I hope he knew his grandfather was awesome.

nochop likes this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-18_4-49-44.png
    Hello,

My brother was so proud of his choice of hot rod/cruising sedans in 1957. He always had a smile on his face when driving the pristine 58 Impala. He bought it brand new and liked it because it was very fast from the factory showroom floor. It was purchased in late 1957, just after being presented to the general public. He had sold his 51 Oldsmobile two door sedan and our Model A coupe that was going to be the first hot rod build for us.
    upload_2021-8-18_4-50-22.png
    After our Willys Coupe build and year long racing, it was recovery time for my brother. He could not drive for almost a year and a half. So, I was the caretaker and doctor’s office limo service in the Impala. During this time, my mom decided that she could drive the Impala to take my brother to the doctor’s office visits when I was not home. So, she asked me to teach her how to drive the stick shift Impala. (That was/is a story in itself…)

By the time his recovery was progressing from barely walking to getting mobile, our mom knew after several tries that the time for her to take my brother places that he needed to go for appointments was not just going to wait for my time. So, she decided she would not drive the stick shift Impala, but an automatic Impala. Her vision was to make the black 58 Impala an automatic like our dad’s Buick sedans.

So, it was up to me to get the changeover done with her blessing. A company in Torrance, CA had just come out with an equivalent automatic transmission for racing like the B&M hydros from the valley area of L.A. the exception was that they would take a hydramatic transmission and work their magic, PLUS, do all of the transformation from stick to automatic in one swoop. A week or so was the time it took to do that fantastic conversion.

Jnaki

By the time several months had gone by for my brother’s recovery, we had gone all over in the now, C&O Stick Hydro automatic transmission Impala. He was impressed that it was so much quicker. He had been a passenger in the Impala with our mom driving to the various appointments. But, our mom never stepped on the gas to the floor from a stop light. So, the fast speed episodes at Cherry Avenue were some of the highlights from those recovery times.

So, my brother knew that his days at the drag racing circles was only on paper drawings and films. He had started surfing again and enjoyed the feeling of being in the water and sun under some protection for his skin. The Impala was used for several surf adventures, but his friends had now gone on to vans of all sorts to do their beach activities. My brother saw the future and said I could have his 58 Impala.

What a deal and with our mom’s inclusion, the 58 Impala was mine any time I wanted to drive it. My mom was the driver when I was in my 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery and my brother was fixing up his vans living space inside.

It was the best opportunity that crossed my plate and I was forever grateful for the selection. The 58 Impala had a history in drag racing, modifications to the motor and now the C&O Stick Hydro to make it one of the fastest sedans in Bixby Knolls during our times there. What a great teenage drag racer/ weekly cruiser, as long as I shared it with my mom.
    upload_2021-8-18_4-51-56.png
    The 58 Impala was even featured in the last senior year high school newspaper for our graduating class in June, 1962. Despite the numerous errors in information written by a cub reporter with no knowledge of the car or modifications. (I even had to show him the photo angles ¼ and ¾ being best… He took many shots, but the newspaper staff kept the negatives.) At least it was a memory that lasted 59 years and counting.

At the last memory, the 58 Impala was going to have at least another 3-4 years of cruising around the Bixby Knolls surroundings, as a new younger teen bought it just before I went away to college.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  23. flyin-t

flyin-t

My uncle bought this '65 the year he graduated high school. We lived next-door and I lusted after this car for a long time. His mom would drive it once a week to keep everything happy while he was in 'Nam and I got to go with her. He moved away to Ventura County, had a Lemon orchard and the Barracuda got pushed into the barn in '82 and was never moved. He kept everything though, even the original wheels and hubcaps. Cragars were put on in '66.

When he passed away unexpectedly I figured it would go to one of his daughters. Couldn't believe it when it went to me.

1965 Formula S, 273 Commando engine, 4 speed, 27,000 miles. IMG_2279.jpg IMG_3338.jpg IMG_8239.JPG

Mice moved in at some point, but hubcaps cleaned up like new.
    IMG_8235.JPG

IMG_8262.JPG IMG_8261.JPG

Attached Files:

'40 Coupe Fan, slim38 and rod1 like this.