Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods is it worth it???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Aug 12, 2021.

1. birdman1

birdman1

do you ever ask yourself if building and rebuilding and rebuilding old cars is worth it? In spite of what my finished cars usually look like, I do put a lot of effort into each one. But it seems like the older I get(75), the less able I am to "get it right". But people still say "it looks so cool" and other polite words, but I see everything that is wrong with the car(and there is plenty). Maybe i shouldn't be doing this, I mean if I am never satisfied with my own work, why do it? I do my own engine and trasmission rebuilding, all the body work except paint(COPD). Even the interior and upholstery is done by me. I do enjoy building cars, and I have owned so many of the cars i wanted to qwn, So maybe i wi IMG_20210801_143313808.jpg IMG_20210730_141820965.jpg ll keep it up for awhile longer.

Carter, badgascoupe, Deuces and 9 others like this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Not once ....

Deuces likes this.
  3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

As I get older I see more of my mistakes.....I think that's because I know what to look for now. When I was younger I accepted work well below my current standard but really didn't know how to do it better. Sometimes you just have to say screw it and enjoy what you got!

charleyw, Deuces, redoxide and 8 others like this.
  4. I'm thinking it's not.

Deuces and rod1 like this.

5. Budget36

Budget36

It’s worth it to you, right?

Deuces and hotrodjack33 like this.
  6. I still love building cars but I have slowed down therefore it takes longer to get them done, there is no more long nights and even longer weekends because I just ain't got the stamina anymore plus I have other cars to drive.

It took me 7 years to build the wagon and I was 14 years younger when I finished, I built the 32 pickup in basically 3 months,but wasn't working and was out there every day.

My next project, what ever that is, will be built at a easy pace. HRP

Deuces, hotrodjack33, X-cpe and 3 others like this.
  7. Keep on building and do the best you can ...
    Once you hit the lazy boy and watch reruns your days are numbered . Your poorest work is likely a lot of young guys best work .

8. squirrel

squirrel

It's never worth it.

But that's never stopped me.

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

You are probably your worst critic. I look at cars others build with a much less critical eye.

10. LAROKE

LAROKE

I keep going because I'm haunted by the thought that if I stop now and live twenty years longer than I thought I would, I'll regret having stopped so much more.

11. Worth it? Of course not. But thats not why we do it. Its kinda like fishing when you catch and release....its just for the fun of it.
    You are older and less capable than you once were. So what? You building the car for yourself or someone else? I do the best I can, its never really that good, but I did it myself and I am satisfied with my marginal work.

redoxide, steveareno, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

13. Of course it’s worth it !!!!

Im as busy as a one armed man swatting flies off a horses ass !!! I don’t have time for a big project.
    I love building cars, it’s my passion , my hobby, it’s what I love doing.

You are your most picky critic !!

keep on keeping on , if you enjoy building them and driving them , then have fun with it.

we are all a little off in this car building game, but that’s what makes it fun !!

redoxide, Deuces, -Brent- and 4 others like this.
  14. Sporty45

Sporty45

You yourself said it best. The bolded part is why you, I, and pretty much everyone else here keeps doing it. Keep going! :cool:

15. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is an affliction that plagues artists, authors and other creative types. You are so close to your creation that you are fully aware of its shortcomings and focus primarily on those flaws. I can assure you that 99% of people will appreciate it as a collective whole; few that even notice the flaws you are obsessed with, and even if they do notice them, it won’t detract from their overall appreciation.

The other 1% are nitpickers who think calling out flaws gives them an aura of expertise. This is all about their ego and has nothing to do with your skills. Ignore them.

16. Worth it in what respect? Don’t look at it from a monetary standpoint. Does it keep you moving and thinking and expressing yourself. I don’t need or expect perfection from my work, 10 footer is good. Lots of great cars on here with real patina- embrace the look. Most are taking a derelict chunk of metal and turning it into rolling art, keep on keeping on.

redoxide, Deuces, SlamIam and 2 others like this.
  17. Chgo Sox Fan

Chgo Sox Fan

If I stopped building cars just because I saw ( what I consider flaws), issues then I’m in the wrong hobby. I go through periods where I think I should take out what I just did and re-do it. In my much younger days I might have. Now when I get that feeling, I turn out on the light in the garage, grab a beer and take a break for a few day or week until the idea comes to me. I think this happens to everyone from time to time. So just stick to and step back when you start to “ over think” anything.

redoxide, Deuces and Aaron65 like this.
  18. Malibu406

Malibu406

Spot on. A squirrel's nest of wires in the engine bay or under the dash just waiting for a fire, 3 lug nuts, only front or back brakes working, fuel leaks, burning oil, etc. where all things I was perfectly happy with at 16 years old as long as it was load, had chrome wheels, and big tires in the back (even it I could not spin them). Now, I rate myself on how well I perform a crimpsolder on a stupid ground wire for a dash light buried in the dash! And unfortunately, I too get down about it. But, my God, is what I do now both safer and better than I ever thought about or had the skill to do 35 years ago.

redoxide, steveareno, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  19. This is a hobby. Just like any other.
    If ya enjoy it, cool.
    If not, try another one.
    As far as flaws. Who cares.
    Build it to make you happy. All we’re doing is postponing the inevitable. Everything we build and touch will eventually rot away. Just like us and everyone we know.
    Depressing? Absolutely not. The fact that humans build and create inspite of that truth is why we are an amazing creation ourselves.
    Not being satisfied is is a sign of passion for your work.
    It’s not a negative. Its the driving force of creativity.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  20. X-cpe

X-cpe

In what way? Monetarily? I've got an old cartoon of two boys sitting on a curb, "Money can't bring happiness, first you have to convert it into toys." Intrinsically? You said you still enjoy building cars. Question answered. Sure, with age we loose physical strength, manual dexterity, endurance and the ground gets farther away, but we have so many more skills and know how to do so many more things than when we were younger. If someone wants to nitpick my car, " I know where the flaws are, I put them there." Ease up on yourself, evidently you have sold some of your cars and you were able to find people who were satisfied with your craftsmanship.

hfh, lothiandon1940, redoxide and 3 others like this.
  21. 2935ford

2935ford

The only thing that matters to me is......it got built (and always never to very high standards but safe) and I'm driving it and having fun.
    I'm not a pro builder just garage built cars by me (mostly the idea guy) my mechanic best pal and some very helpful friends.
    Don't be too critical.......enjoy! :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    redoxide, Deuces and trollst like this.
  22. It's worth it to me.
    There's nothing wrong with spending X amount of days to get "Tab A" to slide into "Slot B".
    To quote the US Army; "It's not just a job. It's an adventure".

redoxide, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is there something else you'd rather be doing?

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- will always see flaws that others would never notice, unless you point it out to them - built a lot, have any to just drive? - one to keep you busy when you have the need to get one more done?

25. finn

finn

I just turned 70 myself and just started working on a basket case 36 five window coupe. I doubt if I will ever finish it, but if I at least get it up and running while I can still get out to the shop, I’ll be satisfied.

I really don’t care if my work isn’t up to the standards of others. If I wanted a show winner, I would break out the checkbook, and I am smart enough to know that at my age, I will never become a truly skilled fabricator or body man.

if someone doesn’t like my car or belittles my skills, I won’t let it take away my enjoyment. It’s for me, not to impress someone else.

Cosmo49, redoxide, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  26. SPEC

SPEC

If it doesn't have flaws you're not driving it! Ok

27. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

One lesson I was taught when going to school for graphic design was when the project was done you should be able to assess it and probably find it could have been done differently or better, certainly that applies to car building as well. One of the hardest things is critique of your own work, you know how you did it and can’t be impressed at the result as others may be. Old cars were not perfect when produced and perfection may lead to paralysis.

Is it worth it? I guess that depends on the expected result. Happiness is the ratio of results verses expectations.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    lothiandon1940, redoxide and Deuces like this.
  28. X-cpe

X-cpe

How many times have you screwed something up, going from "Damn, that looks good" to "perfect."

lothiandon1940, redoxide and Deuces like this.
  29. Yes it is to me....oh I get tired and down trodden too but keep an idea of what the end will do or look like. You to be going at that age is or should be some inspiration to us all.

redoxide and Deuces like this.
  30. dln1949

dln1949

I picked ups 29 high boy,(roadster body, 32 frame, olds rear for $100.00) mind you that was 1971 upon returning from Viet Nam. Was driving a 29 roadster then since high school so stored the "new one" in case I needed doors or quarter panels. Fast forward 2009, I retired and got ready to put my new roadster together, body has been on a shelf in my garage for years. I have been retired now 12 years, two 40's have moved in, I am currently watching the last coats of primer dry on my 29 Tudor, owned it since 73. Do and have done most all of the fabricating and corrections on all of them. Shop hours, start later, quit earlier and work slower, also make less mistakes, comes from harder to make decisions. I try to build them as safe as I can, as all are daily drivers and hauled my kids to school and to picnics and rod runs. My point, I'm doing it because I enjoy it, I am my worst critic, I will point out the mistakes and flaws to any one. The retirement roadster? It's been built in my head over the last few years, maybe after the sedan is together.

Cosmo49, Stan Back, redoxide and 3 others like this.