Register now to get rid of these ads!

Preparing For The Future

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 11, 2021.

1. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...or even keep some of the most popular Social Forums, and make them only accessible if you are an Alliance member;)

2. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

3. ...........Makes sense.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

BINGO!

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen to that!

6. My humble opinion is , if possible the very active social forums be kept going. I paid for an Alliance membership last night. Again, just my humble thoughts.

Texas57, Stogy, dirty old man and 2 others like this.
  7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

We all hate change but I am sure we hate hackers more so if this is what you think is best to stop them I am all for it.

Stogy, loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  8. chopped

chopped

How many alliance members are there?

dirty old man and hotrodjack33 like this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

IMO. Not nearly enough.

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I don't have a dog in this fight. After the last changeover, I never could find the socials again, when I did, the two or three I had joined were dead, so I just forgot about them. Wasn't that important to me since the data was years old by then.

I understand the desire to be able to have a conversation about things that are considered to be off topic for the HAMB. Sometimes the moderation seems to be overly restrictive when trying to stay within the guideline framework, the socials seemed to fill a spot for those conversations that occurs naturally when people get to talking that stray from the guideline. I also realize the need to keep the editorial on topic, that is what makes this place special.

Doesn't matter either way to me. I'm not easily offended, I have multiple interests so off topic wheels in a pic doesn't bother me. Neither does the occasional question about IFS, but they do need to be in their own place, so if anyone is offended by OT stuff they don't have to go there. I'm sure Ryan will work out what he thinks is best.

5window, Hnstray and guthriesmith like this.
  11. ....I'll be sure to post on the main discussion forum when and where the Maryland HAMB Social Group is meeting for lunch just in case you and others care to drive in from around the country. You're always welcome.:rolleyes:

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Don,

Seems to me the effort on your part is the same either way……I am supposing the message takes about as much bits/bytes/bandwidth…..no? If your group is made aware of the change, and you use the same thread, just adding reminder posts when necessary, where is the rub?

Personally, I don’t care how it’s resolved, I don’t have a dog in this fight. Just think the change can be accommodated easier than the reactions suggest. My interest is ‘academic’…cursed with an analytical mind, I try to identify solutions.

Hope it works out for your group, one way or another.

Ray

Nostrebor, metlmunchr, i.rant and 4 others like this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@BamaMav

I always found the ‘Conversations’ page useful for that. You can include more than one recipient/respondent.

Ray

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Also if there are a certain number of members invited to a lunch every month, couldn't it be handled with an email to all the members? If you know these people well enough to have lunch, surely you know their email addresses

15. ....Not all of them have e-mail Mark. Many are older guys who are techno challenged even more than myself, if that's possible. We're always trying to recruit new blood and just this morning I took the advice of @Hnstray and reached out to someone who has never attended one of our 3rd Thursday lunches by way of a conversation.

In the past 10 years or so, I've managed to recruit probably 20 people to exchange information (local stuff) on the Maryland Social Forum. It's all good. I will adapt to whatever Ryan decides to do. I respect what he does as well as all of the moderators.............Don.

alanp561, i.rant, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  16. .......Appreciate that, Ray. It's all good. I'm adaptable if nothing else......Don:)

Stogy and Hamtown Al like this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have done that a few times to get a person info they need that is borderline or ot. But you don't see every post, some get zapped so soon they don't find out what they want to know. I don't mind sharing the little I know, sometimes even learn something new myself. It's all good.

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm kinda curious too...as a number, or a percentage. Maybe @Ryan , @Moriarity , or one of the other mods might have an answer.

dirty old man and trollst like this.
  19. @Ryan ,
    I totally get and appreciate your reasoning. You've definitely built something worth preserving and yet you recognize at the center of that thing is the some-one's who make it possible - the users.
    The COE group is another one that is regularly active and is an asset to those who engage it. We have great comradery and a tailored subset of experience that is extremely difficult to parse out when lumped in with the whole, while extremely beneficial to those who are able to find it.
    While falling soundly within the overarching inclusivity of pre-64 machines, this group would be forced to FB, or otherwise disbanded, if we lose our little niche.
    I totally understand business is business, and I see your posts here conveying that you'll look into solutions.
    Thank you for hearing us.
    I hope the COE crew isn't too small to survive.
    I'm closely reevaluating the alliance membership, and would be willing to actively assist in managing the COE subset if helpful...
    thanks,
    JML

b-bop, mcgyver, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Coe's are on topic in the antiquated forum as long as they are pre 65 and are not LS powered or have modern billet wheels etc....

b-bop, alanp561, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

hmmmm. didn't think it was possible to have the internet without email....

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't have any idea, and if you think about it this is like asking someone how much they make per year... probably none of our business

Stogy, KJSR, K13 and 6 others like this.
  23. Do what ya gotta do. We will grumble then get used to it then complain when it changes again in a few years.

The Shoebox Owners Group is pretty slow these days and has been for a long time, but there is a lot of shoebox-specific info in that handy and convenient carrying case. I've been compiling a list of 100+ shoebox build threads for a bunch of years and I'd be a bit unhappy to see that go.

The fact that they are called social groups makes them sound like FB. I don't see the point of a "HAMBers that collect Barbie Dolls" forum, but the specific tech or make/model forums are a great resource. I may not post, but I skim through and grab info I need for whatever I'm working on. Yes, there's the search function for the main board, but often someone has already taken the time to compile all the "Holley 94 powervalve [or whatever]" threads in one place.

They were also more active when more people were accessing the HAMB on desktop computers. I think the phone app made them inaccessible? Not sure I'm right on that.

Dog_Patch, Stogy and dirty old man like this.
  24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good point:cool:

Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Don't think this is true when some of the money is that which you have personally voluntarily donated.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There are around 800 alliance members right now... I think? I don't have the numbers in front of me, but have no issues with transparency. Regardless, that has nothing to do with the problem at hand.

MJW, Stogy, slim38 and 5 others like this.
  27. 800 members that appreciate your dedication and want to help support the best damn internet site on the planet, you haven't steered use wrong yet! HRP

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  28. Special Ed

Special Ed

I think I'm in a reasonably active 'social group' on here, and we're currently over 186,200 posts through today...
    I'm also curious as to how that measures up to the other groups ...

29. Ed that's a pretty active group for so few members (24) , the 52-59 Ford social group can only boast of 8,849 Post and 1,959 members. HRP

30. I am in Ed's "Hot Rod Veterans Group. I have met some great friends there. We are like minded fellows of a certain age that have been there and done that. I would miss our group terribly. It's nice to go to a place where we all appreciate each other's achievements, and don't have to worry about insults from younger guys who really don't have a clue how it was when we were kids.
    Ryan, please do whatever you can to preserve groups like the HRV. I am, and have been since my first week on the HAMB, a proud Alliance member. 50 bucks is cheap enough for what I get out of this place.
    Thank you for listening Ryan.