Register now to get rid of these ads!

Doc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 2, 2021.

1. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

We used to talk on a phone for a few years
    Back when that’s what people did more

super nice guy
    I made him some hot rod parts
    Always a fun challenge

sad to hear

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

REKT ?
    That's actually quite funny. In the midst of sadness, some humor. Sad tears, happy tears.
    Welcome, REKT.
    Honored to meet you as well.

Doc bought the body for HAMB Andy's car? Another wow.
    And he kept his good deeds pretty quiet.
    That's really something.
    I've heard people say a couple times through my life, that the purest form of giving is when it's done anonymously... quietly... without a lot of fanfare.
    I'm humbled.

3. Hi All,
    We returned home from Shreveport yesterday afternoon.
    Doc was laid to rest in a vintage cemetery on Thursday afternoon, a sad and joyous day.
    His struggles and pain is over. It is now up to us to keep his spirit alive with the numerous memories of his generosity and love for all.

Our introduction to him is one nearly identical to that of Ryan and Joyo.
    We had just gotten our Caddy from the body shop, and were on our way to the Round Up & to keep our appointment with Fat Lucky to have the interior done, when the engine came apart, about 20 miles east of Shreveport.

After I cooled off a bit, I spoke with Denise and she gave me Kevin's contact info. I called and left a message, and he returned my call promptly.
    I explained the situation, and we determined we would bring the car to his house, rent a car, and continue to the Round Up.
    We arrived with the car and Amanda met us and left us in. Kevin showed up later and he determined that we had a tough day, and he suggested we get some rest and we'd decide on a course of action the following morning. We hit the sack.

When I awoke, early the following morning, I found he had washed the oil that was all over the car, hooked up his trailer and set the ramps, and was ready to load the Caddy onto his trailer.
    Amazingly enough it started, and I was able to drive it onto the trailer under it's own juice.
    He told us to take the car to Austin so we could make our appointment with Sean, and drop his truck and trailer on the way back home.
    I was amazed as to why he would make such an offer to someone he never met, and he said "You are a HAMB member, aren't you? That's all I need to know."

As Bogey once said, "that was the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
    After that Kevin, Mark and I, along with our wives, made the trip to the Round Up several times in the following years.

I'miss him terribly, but will always remember the steller man he was.

slim38, Todd553, pitman and 20 others like this.
  4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

R,I,P Doc

Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  5. gene-koning

gene-koning

I too was one of the many recipients of Doc's generosity. Through the HAMB, Doc bought several of my hand made little steel cars. He would send me pictures, and I built the little models from the pictures. Each experience was very smooth and Doc always made me feel pretty special. He was a great guy. I think I built a model of the 33 before it was even built in real life!

If I ever got the chance to meet him in person, it would have been at the HAMB drags during the few times I was able to attend them. For me, the HAMB Drags was the kind of a place meeting so many new people at one time was a bit overwhelming. I'm not what you would call a real social person. With the pictures that have been posted, I believe I did meet him, his face looks sort of familiar. It was my loss to not spend the time to get to know him better then. Gene

AHotRod, pitman, harpo1313 and 2 others like this.
  6. I never knew him, but the tributes here speak volumes, and I hope give some comfort to his family, knowing he was so loved, admired and respected. May he rest in peace knowing he left the world a better place than he found it.

7. Had the good fortune to meet him in the parking lot of Austin Speed Shop, pre Round Up 2013.
    He was cleaning up his car and I just said Hi, and we started talking.
    The time i've spent on the HAMB, I considered him one of the Elder Statesmen.
    A huge loss to the HotRod and HAMB community.
    Rest easy Doc. Fuck Cancer.

REKT, Lil32, Hackerbilt and 1 other person like this.
  8. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Amen. Sounds like the world is short another great one. Hopefully his actions can be a guiding light for the rest of us.

RIP Doc.

9. flatoz

flatoz

This saddens me to read. Doc was one of the old timer HAMBers, and you always knew that what ever you read was just the tip of the iceberg of his involvement. Dad and I use to often remark on his involvement in things and that it seemed a bit secretive, but you knew in a good way. Wouldn't we all like to be in the position that no one has a bad thing to say about us. RIP Doc, you were one of those guys who instills some faith back in humanity.

DocsDaughter, REKT, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  10. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

He bought on of every knob I ever did. At the time, I got paid next to nothing as a substitute teacher and it helped me so much it helped give me a damn reason to keep on kicking. What a guy he was.

REKT, Hackerbilt, rod1 and 6 others like this.
  11. Anderson

Anderson

Wanted to share my first time meeting Doc here…

Many years ago, I put word out on the HAMB that I needed a transmission for a former girlfriends ‘66 Fairlane I convinced her to buy a year earlier. I had gotten one already but it was stolen from my apartment garage. Doc reached out to me that he had a good one and I could simply have it, but I’d have to drive to Shreveport to get it. I think I knew who he was and of his cars, but at the time I was just a young guy who hadn’t done or built much. Point being he didn’t know me from Adam and just wanted to help out some kid in need. We picked a day and I drove out.

When I got there I met one of the nicest guys I’ve ever known. After a tour around his place he and Mark took me to lunch. When we got back, Doc asked if I wanted to take his Viper for a drive and of course I did. I proceeded to embarrass myself a few times with the monster of a clutch the car had trying to get the thing moving. But Doc didn’t care, and we spent about 15 minutes cruising around. It was an awesome day. We loaded up the transmission in the back of my car and I headed home. There are many similar stories from a lot of other folks I have heard about Doc.

Over the years seeing him at the Roundup or any other show was a highlight. When I was at the Speed Shop, Doc was a customer and I had the opportunity to work on his Model A sedan, and build my first complete chassis for him and his Frenzel supercharged flathead (with a lot of guidance from Keith Tardel.) I haven’t seen Doc in a few years and did not know he had health issues and it came as a shock to hear of his passing. I didn’t know anything of his past or how he dedicated himself to becoming such a talented doctor until I read it here but it doesn’t surprise me in the least. This world lost a great human being, father and husband, a great ambassador for the hobby, a talented surgeon, and he is truly missed.

Welcome to the community Amanda and REKT!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    DocsDaughter, REKT, rod1 and 5 others like this.
  12. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

Man that sounds like him. I wish I'd met him in person.

REKT and Lil32 like this.