Register now to get rid of these ads!

Axle ID in 41 Pontiac Custom Torpedo

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by oldmule, Jul 29, 2021.

1. oldmule

oldmule
    from Colorado

I'm stumped... I worked for almost 5 years in a salvage while going to college - specializing in old stuff. I even sent a picture to my buddy that owned the salvage and he was stumped.
    So, here I am hoping one of you guys can bail me out on this. I need to either get rid of it, if it's a piece of poo. Or freshen it up - assuming I can even find parts for it. I may be better off trying to find a 55-57 Chevy rear end, they are supposed to be the same width.
    The car is a straight 8, 249ci, 3 spd model. So, roughly 103hp new, which, it appears the engine was gone through in the 2000s. It's been parked since 08 based on the plates on it and the stench from the now removed/gone gas tank.

I call it the Frankenstein axle because of the strange adjuster bolts in the pinion support area.
    The 3 braces on the top part of the carrier is unusual to me as well.

Also, something new that has come up.

Does anyone know if the Body Number on the data plate (on the cowl) is the same as the mfg sequence number for the Serial number? I can't find the Serial number on the frame and the title was filled out wrong by the Executor of the previous owner's estate... I can't locate the person now, I'm told she lives in Montana and I'm in CO. I have checked the top & side of the frame rail by the front bumper - both sides, the top frame rail in front of the steering gearbox and front body mount, along with the front of the cross member.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That axle is the factory unit with Sears shocks added at a later date. I would suggest a good scrubbing, pull axle shafts for wheel bearing check, replace pinion seal and adjust a smidge of pre-load into it ...
    The firewall tag has nothing to do with serial number.

oldmule likes this.
  3. oldmule

oldmule
    from Colorado

Thanks.
    I have the service manual on the car, but, it doesn't have any information on this specific axle. I am trying to figure out what the 3 adjuster screws are for so I don't mess anything up. I prefer not to change the axle out if it is the original. Everything on this car is pretty much original.

4. gggholson

gggholson

If Pontiac was anything like Buick, the body number is a sequential number. As 302 says, has nothing to do with the serial number. On that vintage Buick the serial number is stamped on the drivers side top of the frame rail. Manual suggests that it is by the master cylinder. I have always found them closer to the front of the car. Usually have had to remove the fender to locate it. The other thing is that back in the day it was quite common in many states to title the car with the engine number. Again if this is the case it will NOT match the serial number if you locate it. Again I am speaking about Buick’s system but suspect Pontiac may have been doing similar things.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Those aren't adjusting screws - they retain the bearings in the housing ...

6. oldmule

oldmule
    from Colorado

This car is beating me up…. The book of Pontiac says left side of dash, other sources say frame rail like what you say, one said in front of steering box, another says in front of left side front body mount, one even said on crossmember by radiator support. The previous owner died and his executor of estate messed up the title, they live out of state, so I’m hoping for a power of attourney from her to get a replacement title. Worst title fiasco yet…. I’ve bonded for them and got assigned ones, but, no serial # and I can’t bond. Thanks for the input.

7. oldmule

oldmule
    from Colorado

Ahhh. Awesome, thanks.
    I need to go through this one, it has way too much play in it. I have about 3 hrs of rotation on the pinion before it contacts the ring gear….

8. gggholson

gggholson

Not that there are not folks on here that are extremely knowledgeable but, you might go to the AACA site and pose your question there. I would suggest posting it in two places. General Discussion and then drop down to the specific marquee (PONTIAC) area and ask it there. Just a suggestion.

As I indicated previously, I have NEVER found the number on the frame location indicated in Buick shop manuals. Always has been nearer the front of the car.

oldmule likes this.
  9. oldmule

oldmule
    from Colorado

Well, I finally found the previous owner's "executor of his estate" and mailed off a power of attorney for her to sign. So, I may not have to worry about finding the Serial # now. I was going to bond for the title and hopefully I won't. Forgot to post a pic...

Attached Files:

Okie Pete and gggholson like this.
  10. oldmule

oldmule
    from Colorado

Update. I was finally able to locate the serial on the frame. On this car it was under the battery box, which sets right next to the steering gearbox. It was mostly gone - can make out the last 3 of the number easily and the rest start to vanish the further forward it goes.

Now if I can find one on the body, I will be happy. But, the previous owner’s estate executor is supposedly giving me power of attourney to get a new title printed out and put it in my name. She had messed up the first title by filling out the entire back of it.

302GMC and gggholson like this.
  11. dan griffin

dan griffin

39-55 Pontiac and 39-52 Olds rear axles are the same. Your 8 cyl. stick should ether have a 4.30 or a 4.56 gear.Gear went up 3.o7 pinion seal is available at pontiac and Olds parts suppliers. Wheel bearings can be had at any auto parts store.

oldmule and 302GMC like this.