Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Hot August Bangers!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 1, 2021.

1. And roll up the windows

j

2. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...um-brakes-on-a-model-t.1237373/#post-14151174

I started the linked thread and someone wanted me to move or copy it here. Either way is fine with me but the link is above. I am copying a chevy rear drum brake design for my speedster. I need to source a few hopefully purchased linkage parts and going to try this later in the fall. So far drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and some hard parts are easy to buy from major parts house.

Jet96 likes this.
  3. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

dmdeaton : Thank you!! this info might help someone else with their "build"!!

4. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Let's have a FAST meeting!!!!!!!!!!!!

GuyW and Midnight Rider like this.
  5. You will be alone

6. Hank56

Hank56
    from NC

219310C2-6E43-4CDB-8549-21C0371C4D57.jpeg 5ABAEE00-E07F-4383-B054-6AF314AFF9A2.jpeg Checking in...sold my 31 pickup 2 weeks ago, and rolled my 29 roadster in my shop...it’s got a 5:5:1 police head..I’m running a burns intake with a Stromberg 97 and reds headers..FSI distributer (I’m still waiting for it)..

Tim, Jet96, guitarguy and 2 others like this.
  7. We had a meeting last week in San Luis Obispo for next year's Time Trials at Santa Margarita; but as John implied F.A.S.T. is no more! Example: we've got to get our own insurance. Everything else will be the same!

8. 2021Maintenance32(6).jpg We've got everything back together; and will be loading up for next week's Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (formerly "The Historics")
    20210Maintenance32(3).jpg

Tim, fur biscuit, Jet96 and 7 others like this.
  9. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

That's funny! I thought we were having a Nor-Cal F.A.S.T. hill climb in Auburn CA on September 18th

BeaverMatt likes this.
  10. guitarguy

guitarguy

Almost every-time. It is my favorite method for sure though. I just had one I did yesterday that had galvanic corrosion (aluminum intake, steel bolt). I literally threw every trick I personally know for bolt removal at it and had to resort to drilling an tapping. I was able to save most of the original threads, it's not super awesome looking. If it doesn't hold for whatever reason, we'll put a insert in it.

Six Pack bolt removal.jpg

11. brjnelson

brjnelson

Steve (Patinasteve) 313 Garage, broke his old record V4F GL car 313 old 150.202 mph New record 152.85 made it to impound on the first race day.
    After the backup run and record was set, the solid copper head gasket started to leak compression into the coolant, they replaced the gasket and are trying to break their record again.

Old Dawg, Tim, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy August! Hot...welcome to the fetid swamps of Houston. On the hunt for a Winfield part...anyone happen to be holding a float bowl lid for a Model M? picked up most of a carb and someone over tightened one corner.

Old Dawg likes this.
  13. yes congratulations to Steve for bumping up record again
    Conditions were really good
    Salt was great

Best run I had 171 in 2 1/4
    Motor was tired 4 years on rings

john

14. patina steve

patina steve

Thanks for posting the info we uped the speed and qualified at 154.185 and went to Impound but still having issues left for home to sort it out before we damage anything.

15. railcarmover

railcarmover

Exactly

If it looks like a ghetto and smells like a ghetto trust your senses

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  16. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Check this guy out on the Model T forum. He is replicating almost a whole carb worth of parts. Incredible work.

https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14905&p=171808&hilit=shop#p171808

17. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am a little late to the party this month. Only a month to the Hot Rod Hill Climb in Colorado. I am getting excited for it!

Jet96 and johnneilson like this.
  18. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Jet96 likes this.
  20. 97

Dreaming! just A couple of disjointed paragraphs cobbled together from obvious sources including HAMB. The incoherant plan he described wouldn't meet the quality of the least technical beginner build here. He fails to mention Model A basics , like camshaft , valves and valve train , oil pump, balancing , damper for the revving he describes, cooling and others which I am sure most of us are familiar with. Let alone the espousing the use of a couple of old Model T Holleys over a Stromberg 97...as too calling an old 97, simple... getting it right is anything but!
    I think it's just writing for writings sake ,very little to do with information!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Jet96, railcarmover and Fabber McGee like this.
  21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How was Laguna? (no clue what the races are actually being called these days...)

23. G_Don

G_Don

Old Dawg,

Love the look of that speedster! Are those mopar wheels? Or what make? Are they 5 on 5.5”?

gordy

24. railcarmover

railcarmover

Those who can, do, those who cant, write.
    Writers have influenced countless people without skills to attempt to build things they had no business spending their hard earned money on.

Jet96 and johnneilson like this.
  25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

everyone must be out cruising , racing or just hanging out . slow month on line .
    to many fires & no sun up here

26. Steve,
    The fires or the smoke from the fires really obscured the skies in the Bishop and all up thru the Great Basin last week.
    At Wendover, the visibility was less than 3 miles for a couple days, a dusky orange glow.

John

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

damn john you guys are fast !!! glad you guys had a good run . salt musta been good !
    congrats to all ..................... steve

28. Steve, Thanks, the salt was very good.
    I burned out the intakes again and broke a guide or two, damn big valves.
    Our blown flathead coupe melted the head thru on #3 and started to melt #2, another casting in the scrap bin.

Patina Steve did bump his record from last year, congrats, John

Old Dawg and Jet96 like this.
  29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

john , sounds like your trying to go fast ! must be leaning out .......... kickin butt & talkin names ... sounds like thats what you guys did !! ............. still dont know crap .......... steve

30. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Good luck on your quest to find a Model M float bowl cover that’s still in one piece. The pot metal of these carbs is known to get brittle and break apart. The mounting flanges distort, the barrel housings warp causing idle circuit air leaks, the choke horn mounting area is almost always broken out, and of course the float bowl covers rarely survive in one piece. The M’s are a nice working early carb if all is in good shape tho...

The float bowl covers don’t do any real work if I remember correctly... only holds the adjusting needles in the right spot, and has ball detents to hold adjustments. Many covers have been rebuilt with large amounts of JB, and are working fine

Old Dawg likes this.