Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Hold your heads high! You made progress! And we're all proud of your collective efforts and dedication!

Safe travels home and I look forward to catching up with you all for the "rest of the story"!

Stogy, D-Russ, dirty old man and 5 others like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Gary, I think TR’s quote covers it. Anyone associated with The 640 should be beyond Proud. Safe travels heading East!

Stogy, D-Russ, Just Gary and 5 others like this.
  3. Job well done fellas ! Unless I missed something, home in one piece also ?

Stogy, D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  4. We have come a long way in the 3 times we ran the Salt from 105.... in 2018 to braking everything in 2020 to the 122.7...this year just 9 MPM off the record. So it's back to the drawing board and maybe next year it will happen.
    On behalf of the crew I Thank everyone who has had anything to do with the XO/PP 640 we hold our heads high and celebrate our achievement thus far..

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John, it’s always good to put them back on or in the trailer not busted up with broken parts. It is also tough to push a blunt brick as you are finding out with a vintage engine. Even without a record you had a successful trip to the salt. I hope you be able to try other LSR venues this year. Thank you for sharing you and your crew’s experience this year.

Stogy, SquintBoy, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  6. You know it's not always the destination that fulfills
    Ones spirit it's the journey that has most of the value
    It's memory's and friends made along the way.
    John Mullen

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on another memorable 640 Experience...;)

It's interesting with this form of racing as you can run in a tethered roller Dynometer type of environment for analysis but that is very different to taking it to a quarter mile drag strip and doing test runs...That surely adds to the challenges...

Do you get to run shakedown runs prior to competition at the site or is it every run counts?

I'm not at all aware of the makeup of this LSR racing...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  8. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Every run counts, but you can run laps for a week if you want to. What counts is what you keep track of -- and the adjustments that change the result.

loudbang, Tman and Stogy like this.
  9. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

It's interesting with this form of racing as you can run in a tethered roller Dynometer type of environment for analysis but that is very different to taking it to a quarter mile drag strip and doing test runs...That surely adds to the challenges...

Do you get to run shakedown runs prior to competition at the site or is it every run counts?

I'm not at all aware of the makeup of this LSR racing...[/QUOTE]

Makeup of LSR under SCTA at Speedweek here: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/a0c5ccee-a57e-40cd-b11c-049ece37d91c/downloads/BONNEVILLE ROOKIE ORIENTATION - FULL COPY - GR.pdf?ver=1628877222261

To continue the dyno to 1/4 being a different challenge, consider every timed mile being 4 constant 1/4 runs without let up. 1 run through the third mile on the short course pretty much equals 12 drag strip runs on the engine, through the long course 5 means 20.

Ed

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    rod1, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. Every run counts

fegsta, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John you and your guys have learned a lot that can’t be found without competing on the Salt. The varying conditions that can change by the minute starting at 5000 feet and using an unblown engine is hardest by far, then picking a class like you did just adds to the massive learning curve. Hope your back next year if it can work out for you and your team.

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the guidelines and info Ed...

Additional thanks to others for sharing the quite organized introductions to High Speed Racing...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

Found some photos on Bangshift :)

1a1.jpg

1a2.jpg

1a3.jpg

14. fegsta

fegsta

Love the way it sits

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. I'm home from speed week 2021 and it was our best year so far. 122.7 and just 9 MPH off the record.
    Looking at the data collected this year I see we were pushing head winds of 10 to 12 MPH all week
    .. not in our favor for sure.
    So now we have to dig way deeper and find the MPH we need. I have been racing all my life with success in many forms of racing and at age 75 years old I still have the fire to succeed at what is the toughest challenge of all.
    Having said all that I want to thank everyone who has supported the 640 project from its beginning. I assure you all... WE AINT DONE YET...
    DIGGING DEEP

16. A big shout out to Russell McLean for supporting the 640 team with his donation.
    Your generosity has been greatly appreciated now and earlier with donations.
    Team 640 appreciates you greatly Russell.
    Thank You,
    Team 640

Stogy, loudbang, saltflats and 2 others like this.
  17. It was awesome seeing you guys run out there John!

Stogy, D-Russ, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  18. Well thank you Jason it was way cool to see you and your son make that journey to the Salt. A lifetime experience every time I go there. I always meet new people and that is what makes this so enjoyable. I'm sure you won't forget going with your son..

19. The truck is unloaded and the spray wash has began to remove the Salt from under the truck. Thanks Dave Russell for coming after work to help get it unloaded and up on Jack stands. The process begins to check things out and ready it for our next attempt .. IMG_20210810_082439_515.jpg

20. We're going to make some suspension changes for better aero in the off season.
    Top is how the truck sits currently, bottom is what we'll be shooting for.

640 STANCE.png

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

22. Do your class rules allow an air dam below the front bumper?

loudbang likes this.
  23. Nope no changes to the truck body that wasn't factory

dirty old man, D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  24. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Are you gonna channel the body? Is that legal? Rerouting the exhaust looks like a major chore.

dirty old man, loudbang and Tman like this.
  25. No Chanel the body but will change the exhaust to get it out of the air stream along with anything else that may see the air stream that is within the rules. Little details just may make a difference in speed

26. We all love those trucks. The problem lies in the fact that they have the aerodynamics of a barn, a rather large barn at that. Anything you can do to cheat the wind that is within the rules would be an improvement. By that I am not suggesting to break the rules, just cheat the wind where ever possible.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    51504bat, dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  27. AmishMike

AmishMike

Full belly pan would allow body to still look stock, but—- how about bed covered or tail gate open. Some truck guys claim tail gate open is better. Partial block off behind grille? Tank of coolant in bed puts weight on rear wheels & would allow more rad blockage. Did u have any traction problems pushing that brick? Are u considering one of those airport miles for more runs - there a couple around country. Keep at it, luck with u

loudbang, D-Russ and dirty old man like this.
  28. Can't block off the grill area and the radiator must be the same size as the original. This class has very strict rules as to keeping the body as built.
    We don't want to cheat to gain a record that would have no value knowing it wasn't by the book.
    If and when we do record it will be genuine and we'll done. Otherwise they could just keep it.. I have never cheated to win in all my years of racing and I am not going to start now.
    So by the rules it is and when it's done we will be very proud as a team..
    I'm not saying anyone is suggesting to cheat and are just asking legitimate questions as to what might help us succeed..
    Keep digging guys it just might be a legal idea that gets us there..

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021