Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What's your feelings on doing donuts and spinning tires on the salt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Aug 9, 2021.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

No disrespect, whatsoever, but I am not interested in suggesting or forcing anything on anyone especially since I was 350 miles away, in Moab, didn't see the video, nor the reactions to it.

The only reason I posted was because my experience with a few of the club guys over the years was different. They weren't a bunch of dipshits, not hardly. Still, I can be wrong about the character of people, I certainly have before.

I hope whomever did the dumbass thing got the message.

I am a firm believer that forcing action or apologies nets nothing positive.

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. That doesn't do it for me. They need to "man up" and apologize, for both the action and the response.... not hide behind something that is good publicity as an apology.

Hnstray and trollst like this.

3. Yeah. I don't think that is your responsibility. And I do appreciate your perspective on it.

The thing is, I get it. I think burnouts and donuts are fun. Even if it is showing off.

I think it's pretty common knowledge how to treat the salt, whatever their reasons for the destruction, their response is telling of their character to me. All they need to do was say, "hey. Youre right, we got caught up in the thrill of Bonneville, and what we did was irresponsible and destructive. I'm sorry" instead they made it into a joke.

Piss poor character in my book.

I've held off on naming these guy publicly besides the club.. But I'm not saying I won't. They've got a chance to save face here or look like careless jerks. Their choice.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Hnstray, trollst, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Just my thoughts, but to be honest they really don’t owe the HAMB or it’s members an apology. Who to apologize to or where to make amends, I don’t know. But I don’t think( most definitely could be wrong) the HAMB isn’t involved with Speedweek?

-Brent- likes this.
  5. I think they owe it to the public who's land it is.. aka everyone. Plus the many racers and SCTA volunteers that work hard to put this thing on.

It's more an act of acknowledging that they screwed up. Honestly it probably makes the most sense to do it on Instagram.

I really only started this thread to find out if what they were doing is no big deal or a big freaking deal, with the intent to apologize to them for making a big deal about nothing if that was the case. I thought I may have been in the wrong. But it doesn't look like that is the case.

Hnstray, Budget36, trollst and 2 others like this.

6. Yes... about the 15th of April!!

7. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

In my opinion it is very disrespectful. Just like doing burnouts leavin cars n coffee, shows etc. That and the fact that they were talking about closing the salt due to the thining and deterioration. To put a video up on u-tube is just mind bogling to me.

loudbang, Hnstray and trollst like this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

That sounds kind of fun

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remembering that my dad embarrassed the crap out of me back in 1960 the first time we went to the drags and he did a big dust throwing tire spin burn out in the dirt leaving the spectator area after the drags were over and I wanted to hide. I think he looked over and saw how damned embarrassed I was because he drove pretty quite after that and never did it again when we went other events.

What pisses me off here is we have donated a lot and worked with BLM to keep the salt for the racing and some fool (s) go out and pull crap like that and take videos of it that more fools will see and attempt to emulate.
    Maybe the BLM officer who gave the guy on the scooter a 200 buck ticket for open container and running his scooter over 5mph can be on the look out for those clowns but I think they are half way back where they came from now as poser weekend has come and gone.

10. Fogger

Fogger

We have intersections and streets taken over by large crowds who participate in donuts, burnouts and drifting. Not only illegal but people have been injured and spectators have died as a result. Watch any of the shows on tv with the constant burnouts and donuts. Fried burger and ass monkey are two of them. Seems that those guys at Bonneville need to understand that the salt is a national treasure and very fragile. "Save the Salt" is a very valid concern.

loudbang, Hnstray, trollst and 2 others like this.
  11. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Good name for it.Posers with fake race car numbers

trollst likes this.
  12. I have eaten a lot of donuts, and don't do burnouts because I have never found the "free tyres" booth afterwards.
    I enjoy seeing the dumb expression on the mouth-breathers when they leave a car show, "do a fat skid", then lose it and hit a fence. Duh.

Hnstray, 2OLD2FAST and trollst like this.
  13. Dumb as dog shit.

Hnstray and trollst like this.
  14. trollst

trollst

So...I'm a grumpy old fuck who HATES this kind of childish behaviour. Cruise nights? How many of you have seen the late model, muscle car guy with the hood open showing off the 30 grand motor? Yeah me too, the same guy who closes the hood and turns the parking lot new rubber black all in the name of impressing the idiots around him. You know what happens next? Yup, the mall owner kicks us all out, the cruise nite moves somewhere else and we do it all again. OR, the fool powers down the street, carnage happens, maybe someone dies, and we all move on somewhere else, and the cops make our lives miserable for shit tickets like no front plate or loud exhaust, while we watch our friends do donuts on salt we are lucky to run on in the name of a good time. Do these fools not understand that ANYBODY can spin a tire, ANYBODY can wreck the salt and get us kicked out of there? Out these idiots for what they are, show the video, show their ugly faces, be as uncaring for them as they are for the rest of us, ostracise them, bar them from future events, and above all speak up at the time. DO SOMETHING!

loudbang, VANDENPLAS and Hnstray like this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Don`t beat up on the Club Rev`s. A few bad mistakes done by members of a club doesn`t mean every member is a bad apple. Those members should be called out for what they did. Possibly banned from the club if the other members choose so.

VANDENPLAS and trollst like this.
  16. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I watch several of Frieburger’s shows, but never understand the ‘burnouts for distance’ or ‘donuts’ activities. I didn’t even do that in high school - well, not much anyway. I just don’t get it.

As to doing that on the salt - really??

John

17. My Uncle once told me that “There’s no shortage of stupid people.”

18. It’s just fodder for the ones wanting to shut Bonneville down.
    Short sighted amusement will only harm the hobby

Tman, VANDENPLAS and Hnstray like this.
  19. Truckedup

Truckedup

I looked at a zillion photos on Instagram. Lots of race cars and bikes but more so pictures of people acting silly with wedding dresses, dogs and tattoos that may have nothing to do with racing. Bonneville may become a circus like the second coming of Burning Man...

Tman, WiredSpider and loudbang like this.
  20. aircap

aircap

I remember about 10 years ago some couple went and the female took about 1000 pictures of the VW they drove, but no racecars. Talk about missing the point.

WiredSpider likes this.
  21. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With advent of a lot of smart phones and GoPro's, there is an endless string of videos that capture all types of bad behavior!

What a bummer that doing donuts and spinning tires at Bonneville, when the salt is that thin and fragile, people just were not using their heads and thinking about the consequences ! So there is a lot of truth to the old saying,
    " You never get a second chance to make a first impression "

40850019.jpg

rod1 likes this.
  22. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love doing donuts, burnouts and power slides. Sliding around and retiring old tires is fun, I don't do it to impress anyone... You'll never catch me doing that shit on any delicate surface that isn't mine, or in traffic or with unsuspecting bystanders around. And especially not at the beautiful and unique salt flats. Tearing up the salt for the hell of it should be harshly condemned.

loudbang, Almostdone and Deuces like this.