Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TennM5

TennM5

Hi Joey,

I agree alternators have a minimum charging RPM. You may want to check out fifthavenueinternetgarage.com. Mr. Randy Rundle designed a low rpm alternator over 20 years ago just for these applications. It has been proven many times in Hemmings Great Race. I’ve run one trouble-free for many years on a 6v flathead 6 in my Studebaker. It has specially designed rotors and stators that kick in at 450 rpm idle.

Additionally, you may want to lower your battery cable gauge/increase wire diameter. It is also good to attach the battery ground directly to a starter bolt and then a jumper to the frame. That made a world of difference on mine.

Best wishes on a great car. James.

Six Ball and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I have a very much under driven Ford 65 amp alternator (I think it's a "3G") in one of my cars that is driven almost entirely in the city in winter to and from work, with headlights and heater fan on. No problems in ten years.
    The alt. pulley is about the same size as the crank pulley. At 1400 rpm it's putting out 14+ volts, at 800 it's down to 12.3 volts.

loudbang likes this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Denis, I went with a smaller pulley to aid cooling for the inevitable city traffic and midrange trips. I learned about it on Secrets of Speed. Seeing that I plan to drive to the RPM Nats, I figured it would be a good thing to have.

Exactly. I did some research this weekend that confirms that. More info to follow.

That sounds about right!

Great input/advice. I have an updated report that I'll post in a second.

I have one as well., right at the base of the driver's seat. Before I left, I tested it and confirmed that no voltage was getting past it and it seems to be functioning as it should.

Thank you for the info, and thanks for joining me on this fun trip!

Thank you, James. That looks like a great piece, but I'm running a 12V PowerGen that's less than a year old. I have a plan to get the system sorted out!

Good info!

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Garage Scene.jpg
    Well, I'm about to head home from Kentucky with a notebook full of stories. The past four days were filled with killer traditional hot rods, survivor customs, hidden garages, memorable nights and amazing friends. Don't worry, I'll be sharing them right here and on The Jalopy Jounal soon.

So, let's dive back into the roadster discussion.

When I left town, I put the car on the trickle charger. I had my roommate Michael disconnect it when the charger light turned green, which was Thursday at dinnertime. (I left Thursday morning.) The reading? 13.2V. I'm going to check it when I get back to the house tonight to see how much it has drained with the master kill switch in the OFF position. This will give me good data.

As you are well aware, this build is all about asking questions. Seeing that I was at the NSRA Street Rod Nationals this weekend, I decided to go straight to the source for my charging question. It didn't take long for me to find the Powermaster booth. There I met John Babcock, the company's president and master of all things PowerGen. He confirmed my suspicion that the smaller pulley was probably the root of the issue, considering the PowerGen is putting out a healthy 14.1V while driving. It was very neat to be able to talk with an expert, in person, to try to get to the bottom of this issue. I was happy to hear that John knew about the project too!

Going forward, my plan is to switch back to the stock size pulley while installing the old chrome timing cover. But here's the conundrum. I plan to drive the car to the RPM nationals. That's a different game from the city cruising. Should I just change the pulley after that trip and risk not fully charging the battery? Or should I put it back to stock and risk overheating? I know I'll be the one making that decision, but I'm interested to hear your take.

Anyways, I'm about to board my flight. I'll catch you guys soon!

5. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Somewhere in the last 1,565 posts, I've lost track of which pulley is being swapped... For city driving, you want both the alternator and fan to be spinning faster while stuck in traffic.

Don't listen to the folks worrying about "over-charging" the battery on long "high-speed" trips. The PowerGen folks have that issue figured out.

Russ

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Make it charge, your gonna run warmer with a shitty low voltage spark anyways.

I don’t think on the Highway or track that the fan speed would make any noticeable difference.

if your concerned about in town traffic I would look to your fan blade design instead of the rpm it turns at.

after two or three different figurations I got myself a 5 or 6 blade, metal, fan listed as “racing” pitch. I assume because the pitch of the blades pull a fuck ton of air it’s good for racing but it’s noticeably louder than say the plastic fan I ran before hand it’s run a lot cooler in all conditions.

If it’s below say 65 degrees I can drive 15 minutes to work in a mix of highway and residential traffic with stop lights and the thermostat doesn’t even open. I usually throttle up in the parking lot for about 5
    Minutes once I get to work and it finally gets warm then I’ll shut it off

while I’m dumping random thoughts and ideas out there another is a high idle rod.

the carb I have for my model A is off a 34 Ford and is equipped with a throttle shaft on the passenger side of the carb. In stock configuration the pedal was connected to the drivers side shaft/arm, the choke rod goes on the passenger side and the high idle shaft goes on the passenger side.

so next to the choke nob would be a throttle nob. Figuring it wasn’t for cruise control I snooped around and found it was mostly used for high idling the car while it was parked. That way the generator was charging at “idle” but you weren’t using the choke to idle it up.

thought it was clever as I’ve had situations were I’d like to have it idling higher but didn’t want to choke the shit out of it to do so.

just some ideas

41 GMC K-18, Stogy, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  7. Is there such a thing as a smaller generator/alternator pulley to make it spin faster? No need to worry about running it too fast.

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Take both pulleys with you, and if you start having concerns about charging, you can swap it over.

Of course, park on a hill!

41 GMC K-18, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I mean did it ever actually over heat? I think it’s
    Getting over thought. Put the stock pulley on with a strong fan. If it gets hot take the hood off but it’s probably going to be fine

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  10. RodStRace

RodStRace

Just to clarify and confirm;
    Stock = larger pulley which would spin the fan/water pump and generator at one speed
    Aftermarket = smaller pulley which would spin the others at a slower speed, providing LESS cooling and charging but freeing a bit of HP.

My vote is to go back to stock pulley and let the regulator in the generator handle output AND have more air and water flow. You may lose a bit of power driving the WP faster, but you also have an aftermarket intake and carb along with a free flowing exhaust. Unless this trip includes RPM that is much higher than what the designer and mfg of a Model A replacement generator envisioned, there is very little downside. Yes, steady higher speed driving can heat soak and run hotter than a city drive duty cycle in fog, but the bigger OEM pulley will help, not hurt. Bring extra water, just in case.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

John Babcock is an absolute gentleman, and an expert, not just someone who owns the company. I had the pleasure of being one of the spokes in the wheel that built his 40 Merc custom convertible.

Outback, Tim, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Put the crank in the trunk. :rolleyes:

loudbang, 41 GMC K-18, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. 97

I have never used a Powergen, but I do know that some alternators that do not charge at idle straight off at
    startup , will keep charging at idle once the engine has been revved enough to trigger them begin charging. Your ammeter should show this . I sometimes drive my Mum's modern (90s) car which has the problem, all I do is hold it at over 1600rpm for a few seconds after start and all is normally OK for the trip. If I omit the rev up and the lights are on it becomes noticeable almost immediately, with very poor lights and a slight stumble , and it will stay like that unless you rev it quite a bit higher( over 2500rpm) while driving... I guess the other systems , lights etc using power being the difference between the rpm required. It soon flattens the battery with short trips around town.
    Something else you could check , a battery will discharge through dampness and dust settling on the battery case between the terminals. San Francisco fog/dampness and the location and open bracket for a Model A battery could provide a slow draw current path . Even between the metal of the bracket and the power terminal could still get back to ground. Keep it clean and use dielectric grease or spray around the battery trerminals and grounds etc . There are some chemical soaked felt washers which push over the battery posts , underneath the wire terminals which help prevent corrosion and shorts.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bat...on+washers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  14. 97

A Model A shouldn't go anywhere without the crank! In fact I think Joey should use the crank all the time, even if it is just for getting a little more of that early motoring vibe and showmanship!:cool:
    t crank sling.jpg

15. 97

I know you bought the expensive leakless water pump, however you could of course keep the stock size crank pulley and change the water pump for a more efficient early V8 one with an adapter as was done back in the day.
    adapter wp.jpg adapter wp2.jpg

16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You'd be one 21 stud water pump closer to the flathead conversion.:rolleyes:
    My house runs on a battery bank and dialectic grease ended a long battle with corrosion on the terminals.

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a Lil' Wild Ole Deuce Coupe...wasn't perhaps once blue with flames and a devil on the nose was it? It's said it disappeared...there is clones of and well done at that...

DevilDeuce_GS.jpg

I like it...

You are sure living Hotrod in a big way...fun times...

Thanks for sharing the Good Ole Days and what it inspires Joey...;)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Six Ball and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  18. 97

So he could have less power, less torque and bigger expenses? :eek:

Did your battery bank have mystery power losses before you used the dialectric grease?

Six Ball likes this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Some "mystery" power loss and some no mystery at all. :) Just dirty connections.

Outback, 97 and Stogy like this.
  20. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Some one doesn’t know a T from a A B9BC70BA-D9F0-48FC-B3CF-C3A186E09F42.jpeg

41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:...Owned by a fellow Hamber @530sandman I thought you would appreciate this Joey...;)

Credit to Photographer, Owner

22. 97

I certainly know a T from an A , I was only showing the idea of the crank held in a crank sling. I did look for an "A" picture with the crank handle (in a sling ), but I couldn't find one. I could have used a picture of an Austin or a Dodge, or a 38 V8, or something else, they were all available. I chose the T.
    It is very obvious that this is a T , but that is/was not the focus! In fact the whole post was tongue in cheek. I would not recommend anybody using the hand crank permanently , as eventually there will be a timing mistake and a backfire followed by a sore if not broken hand.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Joe Blow, Stogy and ottoman like this.
  23. 97

This is the very car Joe drove at the RPM nationals when he gapped the fastest V8 powered roadster.

Outback, Nobey, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I was there when my uncle broke his arm cranking an old drag type combine. This uncle on the tractor and this combine. Although the tractor pulled the combine it had it's own engine to run it's machinery. It was originally horse drawn. We had to crank the tractor too. 100_2284.JPG

Joe Blow and Stogy like this.
  25. 97

Always pull UP to start and crank with your left hand, that way you get a sore hand, not a broken hand when you forget to retard the spark!
    Old school mechanics used to use a folded piece of rope and pull up, rather than mash their hand on a car which could possibly have a timing problem!

Joe Blow, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

F'kn A...salu...tay to the V8...but in many ways understanding how get more from less...this challenge goes on today...what an event not to miss...there are so many...

Awesome Hotrod...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  27. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

I think that Banger Spanked that v8 flathead..:)

Tony Martino and Stogy like this.
  28. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I’m using this set up on the Zipper and I recently had to replace the modified pump I bought 15 years ago with a reproduction piece. Spent half a day modifying the adapter as the repro pump was crappy! I do recommend this set up as it was 90+ today and engine ran at 180 degrees. B7B369AB-FB08-475A-849C-CC3E52EAEF94.jpeg

29. 97

The port for temp sender on the water pump you bought tells me it is a 35 or 36 pump, the 33/34 pump is slightly different which could be the difference which forced you to modify the adapter. If you think the pump is so crappy , I would suggest you send the original one off to Skip Haney in Florida for one of his famous upgrade/rebuilds?

30. raaf

raaf

@Stogy - do you have the details on that banger?

He tore it up. Beautiful car.

Stogy likes this.