Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What's your feelings on doing donuts and spinning tires on the salt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Tie them to the car and drag them

seb fontana, egads, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been watching the videos from Bonneville Speed-Week 2021, and have seen the HAMB friendly cars doing the donuts on the salt, truly amazed, that the such disrespect, for an already fragile element (the salt) is being tolerated by the people that are in attendance. Plus with footage on YouTube, its easy to spot the cars that are abusing the salt ! I hope that somebody there in authority will at least try to convince the drivers of those cars to knock it off and respect the salt !

save the salt.JPG

SS327, Lil32, 5window and 5 others like this.
  3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

This really isn't new behavior, guys have been doing this since they've been going to Bonneville. I have B&W pictures of guys in the 40's doing this shit there, even one of an accident that occurred when fooling around at night.

-Brent- likes this.
  4. silent rick

silent rick

they should pull their passes and not allow them on the salt.

loudbang, VANDENPLAS and quick85 like this.

5. This isn't a debate about old or new.

They used to think smoking was good for you too....

This is talking about currently. With current salt conditions. No one ever mentioned if it was done in the past or not. Seems like poor justification from my side of things

egads, Hnstray, gimpyshotrods and 4 others like this.
  6. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I've never been to the salt flats and most likely will never get there. That doesn't
    mean I shouldn't have respect for the area and the "gift" that the BLM has bestowed
    on racers. I've read from time to time about worsening conditions so why would
    anyone want to rush the disintegration of the surface? The same goes for those
    that abuse the privilege of riding along beaches. You can enjoy the time without
    being a fool.

I can't imagine how many times I've lit my tires up, mainly because my cars could
    always easily do it. Foolish? Maybe so, but even I laugh at the jokers who get their
    kicks out of doing burnouts out of a water puddle with their straight six 4 doors
    that can't get out of their own way. Another thing that drives me nuts are the
    donuts after a NASCAR race. To me it's total disrespect to the car owner and crew.
    They work like hell and then a driver is purposely trashing on the car at the end.

Anyway, Save The Salt.

Papas32, Lil32, charleyw and 4 others like this.
  7. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Absolutely. "Well, he did it" is never a valid defense.

Hnstray, gimpyshotrods and loudbang like this.
  8. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm rarely on social media, so I didn't see what @Hitchhiker is referring to, nor do I have a problem with someone voicing their concerns. I just wanted to make that clear.

Yet, from my experience with members of that club, I've found the guys to be decent clean-cut, value-having men, fathers, sons hanging with their dad, they love the salt and hot rods. I've seen them build cars just to make the pilgrimage to the salt and a couple of them check in on me and my coupe's slow progress from time to time.

That doesn't mean I would excuse anyone from a crime, needless damage, or anything.

However, my experience from the salt over the years (not just SpeedWeek, I've probably been there 2x more outside of events)... I've seen some crazy things there. From commercials being filmed with cars sliding about to regular folks ripping on rental cars.

I've also seen folks that are highly regarded around here do the same things. No names needed to be mentioned but some of them are icons.

That vast flat surface is tempting.

The area beyond the pits and heading to the exit can be dangerous. More than once has there been crashes, even fatalities, from speeders and folks not paying attention.

But, anyone whose been a spectator can tell you, some folks visit to join in on some of the thrill. Some years you can't drive 10 miles an hour because it's so rutted and rough. Cars have broken just being towed to the line. Other years the salt is like a parking lot and it's so wide open 50mph feels like mosying about.

Me, I'm just glad there weren't any smartphones and social media to capture some of my behaviors a lifetime ago.

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'm not justifying it, just saying it's been happening for a long time and probably won't stop in the future. There are hundreds of videos of it on YouTube...

10. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

Not that its an excuse, but how thick is the salt where the races are held at? I would like to make it out their one day if it stays open that long. I see the replies that it is dangerously thin. Having never been I just assumed that salt was several feet thick, and maybe thinner towards the edges.

11. Well they act like petulant children when called out on it.

And that I have zero respect for. They've also deleted the videos, instead of owning up to their mistakes, they'd rather pretend it didn't happen. Again... Zero respect for that.

They should be embarrassed.

I'm gonna say it flat out.

These men have no honor, are cowards and it shows.

5window, warbird1, trollst and 5 others like this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 60 yrs of driving I can truthfully say I have NEVER done a burnout or donut. I have drag raced and never have even done water burn out. My cars never had the HP or front brakes let alone a line lock so to me it was not necessary.
    It’s an abuse thing for me. I will not abuse any of my vehicles as I the repair guy/engine builder. I chuckle at Freibeger when does them and feel it’s for TV.
    It’s what makes us all different.

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

That sucks. Again, I can't speak to any of that.

Thanks, though, for being a steward for the salt and event from afar. While they didn't give you the response you preferred, I'll bet you don't see it happen from them again. Obviously, that's an assumption but it's an assumption based on being acquainted with a few of these guys for over a decade.

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Nowhere close, anymore.

In 2018, which was a rough time for the salt there was this and other issues like it:

https://savethesalt.org/utah-residents-rip-up-fragile-bonneville-salt-crust-2/

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Never been to the salt. But this reminds me of guys going out onto the dry lakes after a rain and doing the same thing in the mud, which leaves huge ruts in the surface when it dries. I believe it is illegal (as it should be) and carries a big fine if you're caught.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Slopok

Slopok

Have them go out on a frozen lake in Northern Wisconsin and do all the donuts they want!

quick85, nochop and loudbang like this.
  17. We are lucky if there is a solid inch of salt crust. Go back a few decades and it was measured in FEET. That is how fragile it is and why their actions are stupid.

VANDENPLAS, Deuces, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  18. brading

brading

Save the Salt. These guys are Arsoles they have no respect for this fragile enviroment that other guys have respected for many year and want to enjoy for years to come. They also give True Rodders a bad name.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    '28phonebooth and Deuces like this.
  19. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

Wow, that is amazing that it is so thin. Did the salt blow away like the topsoil years ago that led to the dust bowl? Or is it some other phenomenon that had lead to its thinning?

Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mining and only mining. Company after company paying off your Congressmen for the right to steal from you…

21. It is from the potash mining. They drain the brine, extract the potash and leave the salt on the South side of the interstate. MILLIONS of tons of salt is just setting there.

Rand Man and Phillips like this.
  22. -Brent-

-Brent-

Mining. The salt used to naturally flow out and dry on the lakebed.

Phillips likes this.
  23. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw one of the Instagram videos, and to say that it was disappointing is an understatement. From folks that from appearances should know better, the poster even used a "destroythesalt" hashtag, and one of his "bros" replied something to the effect of "if it pisses off an old SCTA official then it's worth it".

Looks like they don't give a damn about Bonneville's history, the incredible loss that we as a country are close to facing with the quickly depleting conditions at the flats and other locations, nor the fact that future car AND nature enthusiasts (many of us are BOTH, these things aren't mutually exclusive) may not get to enjoy the area at all very soon.

The whole motorized performative childishness group, from sad douchebags that roll coal on cyclists, to off-road truck/atv gate crashers in public lands, to limp dicks that rut rural dirt and gravel roads after rains need to grow the fuck up or hand over the keys before they ruin it for everyone else.

chopped, Randall, lurker mick and 7 others like this.
  24. silent rick

silent rick

maybe since @-Brent- knows these guys, he can suggest to them to put on a car show with the proceeds going to save the salt. there. everybody is happy.

VANDENPLAS and Tman like this.
  25. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

self entitled assholes

egads, Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  26. Dennis D

Dennis D

Probably defunded...............

Irish Mike, egads and Deuces like this.
  27. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The rules are pretty clear on the topic of donuts and burnouts on the salt. Don't do it. The reason is pretty clear as well, so the salt is preserved enough to race on. A true hot rodder should understand the significance.

SS327, Mr48chev, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Juvenile behavior , regardless of the surface.

Deuces likes this.

29. This says it all perfectly.

41 GMC K-18, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  30. Or maybe let them know they should show some class and show up here and explain themselves.

trollst, 41 GMC K-18 and Deuces like this.