Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It looks like my cars are not safe in my own driveway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Aug 9, 2021.

1. KenC

KenC

In my state proof of insurance is required to get a tag or register a vehicle. But, that doesn't prevent them from canceling the policy 5 minutes later, or failing to renew. There is now a limited program that places license cameras in 'hot spots'. The license info is compared to a state data base of insured drivers and if not found, they get a summons in the mail. Still not very widespread though.

I'm of the opinion that the state should collect insurance payment as part of the annual license tag and remit to the insurance company. No way out then. No ins, no tag. I also think liability insurance should be one policy per person, not car, but that's a totally different subject.

And, yes you should present her with a bill. Preferably an independent estimate, not yours.

2. exterminator

exterminator

Sue her in small claims court!

twenty8, Deuces and Peter Nowak like this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:D very humorous…..but did you miss the part were it is his NEIGHBOR’S girlfriend?

Regardless, this woman has all the signs of being an Albatross…….:eek:

Ray

4. I sure did miss that part.
    But it could be the start of something great. :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Even if she had a liability policy, what's the "book value" of a '65 Custom, $200? Her ins co. wouldn't pay hardly anything to repair cosmetic damage would they? I mean I dunno.

6. I’m sure the car is worth a little more, but on paper a competent estimator could total that car.
    It’s a little different in this situation because she hit him.
    Occurring on private property usually rules out a police report.
    If insurance is used, an agreed settlement is the best route. Each state has different laws in totals. The car could total and he still keep it. But if the insurance issues a parts only title, he’s screwed.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

NADA Guide list for 1965 Ford Custom 4-door (no options selected):

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
    $1,175 $2,075 $3,550

You could gather prices from around country to see what they actually asking/selling, which should be higher, given that classic car prices are through the roof!

BTW, that looks to be easily fixable. No need to replace these parts.

Truck64 and Deuces like this.
  8. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I agree! Our daughter was driving one of our cars decades ago and was rear ended. The guy claimed he had no insurance and no way to pay for damage. Turns out the guy was quite wealthy and this was not first accident. After I contacted a lawyer he was eager to pay for damage out of his own pocket without turning into his insurance. In today’s world most states have laws that require insurance to get tag. Even at the expense of making your neighbor angry you should not have to bear the cost of her negligence.

9. if all else fails, borrow a buddies beater and sideswipe her car.

safetythird, das858, slayer and 5 others like this.
  10. 2935ford

2935ford

What about the next incident from her? Could be tomorrow? :(

dan31 and Deuces like this.
  11. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

Let me fill you in: I am an insurance agent in the state of Indiana. (No I will not answer your insurance questions. No I will not try to fine something cheaper for you. Every State has different insurance laws. Be wise and learn them).
    Now that been said, go get a police report filed now.

Don't try to be the nice neighbor that wanted to help. Protect yourself first and foremost.

She could easily go out and call the policy and say that you came home drunk in your car and hit hers and did all the damage to it. She could say she is smaller than you and was afraid to confront you about it, all because you were drunk. If she does not have insurance there is a reason other than she can't afford it.

You Have To Protect Yourself and Your Family First.

I have seen way to many people trying to be the nice neighbor get stung time and time again in situations just like this.

Get A Police Report Filed.

There are two ways you can go here:
    1) Since she does not have Insurance, call your agent and let him know you want to file a claim and have it subrogated back onto her. Your Insurance company will pay to fix your car and not turn this against you.

2) In Indiana we have Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist coverage. If you know the name of the person, their address, description of the vehicle or a License plate number you can file a claim on that portion of your insurance and get your car fixed without it going against you.

First thing though is to get that Police Report Filed!

12. Budget36

Budget36

Good advice on the Police report, but the OP doesn’t have insurance on that particular vehicle. No agent to contact.

13. spanners

spanners

What will be her excuse when she reverses over somebody's child or grandchild ? "Not my fault I'm a shitty driver".

Lil32 likes this.
  14. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Couldn't the OP call his home owners insurance company and go that way? Someone hit his car while it was on his property and not on a public road? The police report should definitely be done too. Also, as has been said, no insurance. Is she even registered? Maybe a little note of interest to the neighbor that the OP is calling his home owners might just get something done by the driver of the suv?

AGELE55 and clem like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

@junkyardjeff what did she say when you spoke to her about it? I asked earlier, but based on your talk with her would be how I would proceed.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I just have liability and she has not been back since it happened,even though I work at a body shop I went elsewhere for a estimate and its probably more then the car is worth. I am going to get her name and address before talking about money since she could bail on him and never be found.

17. clem

clem

Let’s hope that never happens, - but -

……..if nobody ever files a police report or claim against her, - she won’t need that as an excuse as ‘technically’ it will be her ‘first’ and only accident ……..

18. 2 weeks ago I had my new work van parked on the road I front of my house ( only 2 weeks old) it got side swiped down the drivers side front to back, no note, no knock on the door nothing :mad:

Last winter my wife took my daughter to horseback riding and backed into a car that was parked where it should not have been parked , she called me n said “ Fu!k fu!!ing sh!t” went in the barn found the owner snd told them , if it’s ok my husband can get the bumper cover, have it painted and install it, or we can go to a body shop, your choice !
    Lucky for me they where fine with me fixing it and keeping costs down on my end.

It’s a shitty deal as they are your neighbour and the last thing you want is an enemy next door, but at the same time they need to be responsible and fix what was not broken until they broke it !!

19. I just took a good look at the pics . It’s not horrible, how bad is the bent down door handle ?
    Is this something you could fix yourself ?
    Maybe come to an agreement of “ something “
    Beer, trade labour , some cash some “ whatever “

what are you looking to get ? Just have the car respectable again ? Or in the exact shape or was ?

I still think whole heartedly they should be on the hook for something, you need to decide what that something is .

And what in the heck ?!?!? No insurance, they really should try damn hard to do good bu you as one “ anonymous phone call to the police and she’s getting pulled over snd in a world of hurt !
    Up here the fine starts at 5000 snd yes people under suspension get no insurance charges all the time !!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am not expecting her to pay what the estimate is considering I thought it was way too high for the damage done so I will figure something out,I am going to show it to her to het her to get insurance since she can do way more damage then she can pay for. I have a feeling she might not have a drivers license too since I think the neighbor does not have one.

21. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

After you file a police report, you can talk about what kind of agreement you can come to. It will probably even help your negotiation.

You don't have to appear malicious about it, just say of course you filed a report, isn't it what you are supposed to do?

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  22. Do you remember how George Mcfly was treated in Back to the Future?
    I guess this woman is Biffs girlfriend!

Like the others said,,,,,,no matter what,,,it is her,, or her boyfriend’s (,,your neighbor),,,responsibility!
    What if she drives through your house next time ?

Tommy

guthriesmith likes this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

$500 dollar fine in Iowa for driving a car with no insurance.

24. Driving without a license? There is a place for those type of people, it’s called JAIL.

25. Don’t fall for the ole “ take it out on trade”

Randall likes this.
  26. YES! Definitely call the police and let them deal with her before she says she didn't do it.

BigDogSS likes this.
  27. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

can you install a wood fence?

28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That's why I carry uninsured/under insured coverage on my vehicles. You never know when you will get hit by someone that is not responsible!

03GMCSonoma likes this.
  29. twenty8

twenty8

Hey @junkyardjeff ,

A quick search threw up some info.
    Check it out here https://www.enjuris.com/ohio/car-accident/auto-insurance-laws.html

Don't take my word for any of this info. Do your own research and make your own determinations....:):):)

By the way, I agree with all the comments saying that it is her responsibility to make things right. Oh, to live in a perfect world where the true meaning of 'responsibility' was understood and practiced by all. She has broken the law..........if she will not step up to the plate, NAIL HER ASS TO THE WALL...............legally speaking, of course.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  30. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You can't. She's probably what's known as "judgment proof" in the trade. Lawyers cost money, and if she doesn't have any, yer already fooked before you begin.

Wanderlust and VANDENPLAS like this.