Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical No spark again

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roger Loupias, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Greetings, new to this notable site with an issue I'm hoping someone could weigh in on. I have a 34 ford Roadster with the senior package 350, 350, 8" After perfect cruising and horse play here at my local annual Reno "Hot August Nights" the car sat for a day and for the first time wouldn't start. Battery is strong with new Taylor's and E3 plugs. The lighting circuit is perfect, fuel delivery is there. My spark tester showed nothing. All fuses and contacts on the cranking end checked ok. Went to my local Summit store and replaced the GM HEI module, capacitor and power harness, cap and rotor. Cranks like a champ yet no spark. Nothing left but the coil, replaced it and it fired. Idled and revved great for about five minutes then stumbled and died. Again no spark! What the Hell? Any thoughts would be appreciated.....Roger

2. Mine did similar. The ground wire goofed

stillrunners likes this.
  3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Wonder if the pickup coil is causing this. I've dealt with a few bad ones that caused symptoms like this. The windings in the coil are very small and can break inside and open. Sometimes temps can cause the winding to open, losing spark, then close when conditions change. Something to check.
    Good luck!

4. jaracer

jaracer

Well it appears that you did verify that you had no spark which is a good first step. Your next step was to load the parts cannon and fire parts at it with no diagnostic troubleshooting. You need to verify that the parts of the ignition system are working properly and that they are receiving power and ground. Could it be a bad pickup coil or a ground? Yes it could, but you won't know unless you test them. If you aren't experienced in electrical troubleshooting, you really need to find someone who is.

Sorry to be blunt, but that's my advice.

5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

What the hell is a "senior package 350"?

6. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Oh I know what your talking about, my skills are good in trouble shooting but not good enough for my own show on motortrend. will prob deeper with help if needed. Thanks

7. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

My way of saying its mild and stock. With all the hype, earth shaking and super charged, blown and NOS motors going own the road, my package gets the 34 cruising mildly and quite like a Stealth bomber. Hell at 74 yrs. of age I'm grateful I can still get down the road. No medical issues yet just just no spark.

Fordors, VANDENPLAS, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  8. I know what your Problem is.........................................you are to YOUNG.!
    When you Reach over 75 than thing's will be Better!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live learn & Die a Fool

wraymen likes this.
  9. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I would check the voltage at the ignition switch.

10. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Seeing you have been in the dist. ( and then it started to work again ) GM HEI's were bad for the pick up wires breaking under the insulation were it would pivot from the advance moving.

Kevin Ardinger and Algoma56 like this.
  11. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

TA Dad is correct. wire work hardens with age and heat from movement of advance. Remove the dist shaft to replace and mark the gear so you get it back in the same spot.

12. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Run a piece of #16 from the battery positive to the distributor and try it..

Don't do a bunch of things at one time or you'll chase your tail. You might replace a bad part and it runs but you still don't know what happened so it happens again...

I do electrical troubleshooting for a living.. I troubleshoot Knob N Tube in Pittsburgh mansions. The Kendall house is one of my customers..

Tutashen and Johnny Gee like this.
  13. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Did you omit the ground strap that stays in the old cap. Very easy to miss. But it matches your symptoms
    It’s a thin metal dog leg strip.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Have you witnessed the rotor actually turning?

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The wonderful world of HEI's.

16. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

They were/are pretty trouble free. If you have OEM stuff yeah it is worn out. Then you buy aftermarket and it is just China shit ! so it won't perform or last.

Tutashen, ottoman and Johnny Gee like this.
  17. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Rotors use to be a problem burning through. That was in the 80s with cheap rotors . Its worth checking . You need to remove the rotor and look on the bottom of it for a black spot where it shorts out to the advance .

18. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had this exact thing proven to me when I thought I was pretty sharp on HEI ignition. Take a hard and serious look at the wires right where they connect to the coil. The flexing when the advance moves the plate works the wires the same way you bend a wire back and forth in your hands to break it. Sometimes the will maintain contact until the advance moves the broken ends away from each other. I've got an ot rig that pops back on acceleration but doesn't idle too bad that I am thinking has this issue to a lesser degree. HEI picup coil_LI.jpg

tommyd, 1320 Fan and Lil32 like this.
  20. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Thanks for that input. I am going after that possibility as well as the other members focus points. A sharpshooter ASE friend is coming by today. Will update so other victims of this will gather something from it. Roger

21. Did you remember to put a fresh blob of thermal paste under the module? They can be very short lived if you don't.
    :rolleyes:

kevinrevin, Tutashen and Budget36 like this.
  22. Tutashen

Tutashen

Elcohaulic hit the nail on the head don't chase things with money,hei are simple,your tranny neutral switch or the wires coming or going could be it or the amp capaciter they are crap keep a spare someplace handy,so go from bat to starter to tranny to hei , theres not much compared to this new scrap they make that the dealerships can't fix lol , also check your cap where that little spring is with the carbon tip thingy most likely made in china , so what i am saying is have a good look it's not a rocket it's a sbc an faster :)

firstinsteele likes this.
  23. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

24. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

it was the pickup coil and intermittent ground issues. Thanks for all the support. Roger thumbnail-004.jpg

reagen, pprather, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  25. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA