Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What's your feelings on doing donuts and spinning tires on the salt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Harmless fun or destroying the salt?

Some guys from Utah and the Revs. Car club have been posting video on instagram of them tearing up the salt surface and seem to think it's not a big deal.

What say you guys?

Are you " save the salt" or "screw the salt"

I know boys will be boys...but seems like a pretty careless treatment of the land.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I thought the idea was too try and avoid spinning tires and doing donuts.

Doesn't the flooding level out the salt? Idk

chopped, Rand Man, Elcohaulic and 3 others like this.
  4. I'm talking about spectators "showing off"

5. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Throw them idiots out.

6. Budget36

Budget36

I thought there were signs posted about where/how to drive, etc? I would think if these ding dongs were anywhere near the event, someone would shut them down?

7. You can clearingly see the pits in the background.

41 GMC K-18, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This activity in many ways is a newer phenomenon, it's juxtaposing itself into vintage auto in some capacity...but I still don't think is wasn't not done over and over we just see it now and maybe old Hotrodders did it to, I wasn't there...

Myself not a drifting fan or really a burnout fan, I absorb the Look the sound other realities...really there is a philosophy to burning rubber...it gets em' warm and they grip better...

So as Lakes Racing evolves it will have to abide by Whatever governs its existence here and if that is connected to the event they may be responsible...

So yes it is unquestionably destroying a fragile ecosystem and I think we as a whole should respect it...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Lil32 and Budget36 like this.
  9. Lil32

Lil32

sad
    we have the young generation out tearing up our pristine island beaches with their
    monster trucks (basically standard 4X4s)

10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I guess it's not any different than the cars leaving cars and coffee that let it rip pulling out of the parking lot.
    YouTube is full of videos of the cars crashing into people and vehicles after they lose control.
    It's all dumbassery.....:)

11. I agree with oldiron 440, this activity only leads to the end of something enjoyed by many because of the actions of a few.

48fordnut, 40FORDPU, clem and 8 others like this.
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Leave a comment ripping them a new ass hole. Alert the officials of the salt committee. And the powers to be. People just don`t understand thin the salt layer is. And try to get the video`s removed.

13. Never really understood burnouts and donuts once I grew up a tiny bit in my teen years.

You can do burnouts and donuts in just about anything.

Ive done burn outs n donuts in my snogged out 80 camaro , bone stock Honda’s snd vw’s , even my air cooled bug !!!
    My dads friggin Aerostar when I was a teen !!!!

meh, big whoop-dee-doo you can spin the tires, put people and property at risk and in this case damage/destroy a natural wonder.

dumb, just dumb .

14. My family has vacationed on the Outer Banks, North Carolina for over three decades. One of the few places that allows driving on the beach.

There use to be unlimited access for off-road vehicles in the National Park. Due to overuse and careless driving the access has been reduced by 40% in area and time restrictions.

I would imagine the national park service will place the same constraints on the Salt Flats if that behavior continues.

Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

Ya know, your post got me to thinking back for the last 45 years I’ve been driving. Ya know what, I can’t for the life of me ever remember doing a donut! Many a smoke show, but never a donut.
    I used to power slide my dads VW around the track at the rodeo grounds when he was leveling it, that’s about as close that I’ve ever come I think. I recall the only thing him telling me is “don’t slip the clutch “.

loudbang, VANDENPLAS and Elcohaulic like this.
  16. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

I hope the BLM burns their asses just like they did when the late "Boyd" was being an asshole on the fragile salt.

17. Budget36

Budget36

Buried a MotorHome, right?

18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

It will be poetic justice when the salt comes back to eat away their car. That spray gets everywhere even places you can't clean.

Pat

54 ford coupe, Lil32, clem and 9 others like this.
  19. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Yes and several tow trucks and really trashed the salt badly, but he paid for his disregard of a very fragile and special place.

20. Deuces

Deuces

Here in Motown, we have idiots blocking freeways so they can drift... Also in peaceful residential neighborhoods...

Where's a cop when you need one????.....:mad::(

Lil32, warbird1, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  21. Rand Man

Rand Man

I believe in “save the salt”. I know the flooding levels it out every year. Every year it gets a little bit thinner. I also agree that the sum total of the damage will be more towards their fender wells.

22. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

I'll attribute some of this to reality TV's influence. Watch a show that David Freiburger is in (hard to do at times) and it seems as though he measures how cool a car is by how it does donuts and burnouts. As stated earlier, nearly anything can do burnouts and donuts

23. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Amen to that, of course we get our salt packed in to our daily drivers here from the roads. Actually summer and winter, summer they spread liquid chloride to keep down dust, and of course winter salt is spread to melt ice. I cringe when I see those pics of those beautiful cars sprayed with salt!!

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Immaturity comes in all age groups. Most grow out if it, some never do. That's why there has to be restrictions and penalties for certain actions, which causes the mature of us to have to suffer because of the immature. If those doing stuff like this can be identified, they should be fined heavily and banned from the area for a long period of time . It might get some of their attention and put a stop to it. But there are always that few who never learn and make it harder on the rest of us.

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Same mentality as guys who do burnouts leaving car shows, or spin their tires in the wet streets after a rain shower. Retards who don't think about anyone but themselves, and will ruin things for everyone else.

26. Low life bastards, no better than graffity (sp) taggers.. Some dipshits just think it's cool to leave their mark. Hope someone leaves a mark on their foreheads! Or pounds salt where the sun don't shine!
    It's not nice to fuck with Mother Nature!!!

loudbang, VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  27. Nothing more than taggers with their spray can's, the people doing donuts and spinning tires could care less about the unspoiled beauty of the salt and the damage they are doing. the salt is dangerously thin and any unnecessary damage should not be tolerated, it is up to us as hot rodders to protect the privilege of racing on the salt.

Like most event's people demonstrating poor judgement behind the wheel are generally ejected from the event, the same should apply in this situation, I would assume the laps of common sense is most often fueled by alcohol or just not realizing the damage they are doing. HRP

28. They are hamb friendly cars

loudbang likes this.
  29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

“Paying for it” is a very distant and poor second to never having damaged something in the first place.

Ray

30. Gabby

Gabby

You don't need much to do a burn out. My uncle bet that he could do a burnout with a 53 Chevy 6 cyl with a P/G tranny. Back the brakes off the rear drums and put the pedal to the floor, ease to do when you have 90 lb. of air in your tires.

loudbang, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.