Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Hemi Hearse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wraymen, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah... A combine or a manure spreader.

Well horse poop... it's already been done.
    spreader2.jpg

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Just gonna say, the find of the OP is pretty cool, and id love to know the history on it.

And everything else thats been posted in this thread, may be impractical and stupid and not roadworthy. But Given the opportunity, I'd drive each and every one of them and I'd have the biggest damned smile on my face

SS327, 41 GMC K-18, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmm...A Hemi combine? Wouldn't that have to be in the "Chopper" class?;):)

4. While I have to agree the bathtub , bunk bed , shopping cart , etc “ gimmicky show rods “ …. Are just that, gimmicks to get folks to show up and see the latest absurd creation.

stuff like the uncertainT milk crate , Roth’s stuff etc etc.
    Hard to say but the Tastefully done radical customs are a work of art and creativity. While not all are my cup of tea, and a large portion leave me scratching my head they are still works of art that can be appreciated as such.

And if your @Moriarity you drive the wheels off your art !:p

I would not compare a radical custom to a rodent affair , RR’s are built to shittier and shittier standards with ridiculous parts and engineering.

a radical custom when done tastefully ( most posted on this thread are just that) are built to a high standard of craftsmanship and quality.

I love tradition hot rods and mild customs are really my thing. But think how boring it would be if all’s we had to look at was the exact same?
    Kinda boring.

5. I've got nothing against 'em.
    But........ I prefer vehicles that have plates and registration for the street, can make a run at the strip, and is a reasonable choice to pick up a bucket of chicken on Sunday.

6. Over the top, but I'd take'em to a KFC.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't get me wrong, I love radical customs. I can appreciate an "over the top" rod or custom. I think Roth's cars were pure genius...but I have no use for vehicles that you can take a nap on, tour the wild west in, or take a shit in/on:eek:

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have to admit, I've fantasized about building a bubble top rod.
    I think ever since watching the series in the early 60's... kind of wanted to name something...
    FIREBALL XL5. LOL
    Would have to be something wild, though. So just a fantasy.
    I like looking at them though, and it's cool that some of them are still around to be seen.

Deuces and hotrodjack33 like this.
  9. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

…how many times does one poster need to state, explain and clarify their opinion in one thread? Just wondering.

Big mike 1968 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Uh, I may have done the latter to an ex girlfriends car one drunken night. If thats the criteria, that knocks out many daily drivers

11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since you're wondering...and obviously keeping track...I'm certainly willing to continue on for your benefit....;):eek:

12. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

…and counting.

gimpyshotrods and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. Yep, it's the HAMB. Thread starts, sidetracks, pissin' starts, lol.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a pic of the car Wray started the conversation about, in action.

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL, Nothing but good natured fun on the HAMB, as always:D

PS Keepin' count Lew?;)

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The HAMB doesn't just sidetrack.
    It leaves the line on one rear tire, and heads for the guardrail. :D
    In this case, driving the Boot Hill Express.

16. BCC2E719-405F-4945-A14C-B3E862ABCF94.jpeg

17. spanners

spanners

Imagine how much space Moriarty would have in his house without these type of show cars? I'm not into them myself but can appreciate the work and skill that goes into designing and building them. Plus who wants to go to a car show with just belly button '32 Fords? (Brace for incoming flak).

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. SS327

SS327

I feel bad now. I grew up on those wacky show rods. The craftsman ship was incredible for the time. Loved em then, love em now.
    Does that make me screwed up? :(

wraymen and Deuces like this.
  19. spanners

spanners

Some would say you have to be screwy to fart around with old cars. It just depends if you are flat blade or Phillips head and correctly clocked.

VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  20. Did some more research. Since that is running under its own power, it probably is not the original. Supposedly the original was made out of an actual horse driven hearse. A few clones were built by Hal Hammer, commissioned by Mr. Fahrner. These were made of fiberglass and they did run and drive.
    Mr. Fahrner commissioned Fruehauf to design and build a few custom trailers to tour the country.
    So I’m guessing the car I saw was one of the clones (repainted)or a tribute built by some one else.
    Thanks for all the comments, good or bad.:).
    Next time I see something that interests me I’ll wait for the owner to get back from the can.;)

lothiandon1940, SS327 and chevy57dude like this.
  21. JimSibley

JimSibley

These cars are my whole reason for liking cars. Toilet cars and bed cars are stupid, but ed roth cars, and the atomic punk, 1FE1E2FB-896E-4E30-9AD8-806F4885C2A6.jpeg D7081C66-152D-430B-B1A7-A00CC6C9AA17.jpeg or even the many variations of the batmobile are all art and automobile, which is my passion and definately a part of the hotrod history. My 34 chevy was built as a nod to these great builders, and it was the funnest car i have ever built, to date. I am hoping that my latest build will be thought of lile these great cars and i will continue to draw inspiration frim these freaky cars until i can no longer weild anwelding torch!

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Titled, registered, plated. Nowhere near done, but when it is (and probably before) this will be driven until the wheels fall off.

Mid engine blown Hemi. Front sheet metal shown to the left (or above, if on a phone).

Those cars that some of these old-farts hate are what got me into this in the first place. From day-one I vowed that when I learned enough to do it, I would build a show rod. I hope every single old-fart absolutely hates it.

PXL_20210722_012841277.jpg PXL_20210722_012831716.jpg PXL_20210728_020913919.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  23. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

I'm one of the kids that couldn't wait to get a new model to mess up. I thought they were cool.

24. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Sometimes I see a picture and all the great memories come back, in the case of those wild 60's show cars- smell of popcorn and cotton candy, bright lights, excitement of being with Dad and my buddies at the Civic Center auto show in Lansing! Do these "cars" make sense?- no... But they sure do bring back a certain nostalgic feeling.

25. @hotrodjack33 so what you're saying is you like the stupid ass stuff or not? I'm confused and still need clarification ;) i like the legit custom ideas of that time frame, but the stupid stuff just seems like mockery to me. The ICE truck was one of my favorite builds.

chevy57dude and hotrodjack33 like this.
  26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I could go on, and on, and on but I don't want to upset Lew:eek:

Funny story...that's a young bespeckled hotrodjack at the '62 Winternational Car Show in L.A.
    hrm3.jpg

That was the first time I saw the Lil' Coffin. I really wanted to like the car, but I remember all I could think was; That roof looks structurally unstable. Was thinking like an engineer even at that age:eek:;)
    hrm4.jpg

27. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

This one has the appropriate engine in it!

28. You look taller on the internet!:D

[QUOTE="hotrodjack33, Funny story...that's a young bespeckled hotrodjack at the '62 Winternational Car Show in L.A.

lothiandon1940 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  29. They had one of those Boot Hill Express things at Island Dragway in New Jersey a few weeks ago. I didn't realize there was a bunch of them out there.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. I liked you on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.
    518CB9C6-9327-442E-8F30-FFDFCDC1F56D.png
    Say hey, to Mr Peabody for me.;)

lothiandon1940 and hotrodjack33 like this.