Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It looks like my cars are not safe in my own driveway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Aug 9, 2021.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a gravel driveway that runs along my neighbors driveway and this weekend his new girlfriend came over on my side and bumped my 65 Custom 500,its not as bad as her latemodel SUV but she has no insurance and I do not have coverage that will pay so I am not sure on what I am going to do. Most should buff out but the front fender is down to bare metal and the read door is bent at the handle.

Attached Files:

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  2. Kinda adds character, but consider these:
    1) good looking?
    2) good cook?
    3) can weld
    4) can adjust a carb and/or set the dwell on a points ignition
    5) enjoys watching the 3 Stooges?

use that as a scale to determine the next move.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  3. dan31

dan31

How in this day and age can someone drive with no insurance? Sorry that happened to you, she must be a dip shit.

4. Get a estimate and present her with a bill. HRP

5. Yep, what Danny said. Even if she can’t cover it all, I would at least present her with the amount of damage she caused.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

0) must be good!

fauj, Deuces and anthony myrick like this.
  7. I find it unusual that she didn't have insurance also. Here if you don't have insurance, you don't get a tag.

8. Jokester

Jokester

Insurance or not, it's her responsibility to fund the repairs.

.bjb

9. If a deadbeat like that has a claim against them in even a small claims court, you may eventually get paid. She could inherit money one day. It's worth looking into. Sorry to see this happen.

10. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I agree, if she drives around with no insurance it is her responsibility to pay for damages-period!

11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Like everyone said, give her a bill

12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

dan31, how can people drive without insurance? Well I read an article a few months ago that said an estimated 30% of drivers in California do not have insurance.

dan31, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  13. ironrodder

ironrodder

When she signed for her plate renewal she swore an oath that she carried insurance. Give her a bill.
    Her boyfriend maybe able to claim it on his homeowners. Of coarse in today's climate they'll probably cancel him.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess this will be a test in neighborly relations...I sure hope it works out for you...I mean if I did that I'd be knocking at your door to alert you to get an estimate to right the wrong or should I say repair the accident damage...

quick85, SEAAIRE354, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Maybe she's lying, and actually has insurance but doesn't want a claim against it, and hopes she can just brush you off.

Just another possibility.

16. One more reason why I don’t have neighbors…..

17. junkman8888

junkman8888

File a police report and do it now. Most of the time, it's a person's life choices that prevent them from having automotive insurance, not lack of funds. Don't even think of making her life easier by not reporting her to the police.

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Much higher than that, guaranteed. One thing I've noticed reading the police blotter reports, they arrest or charge a lot of people around here for "driving while barred" or "driving while license suspended", no plates, stolen cars, whatever the whole laundry list of charges typically are. Very rarely is "no insurance" one of the charges. Near as I can tell, this is when they have to, i.e. they have actually caused personal or property damage.

Now two things that don't make sense, one is they usually like to charge people with every damn charge they can, but they aren't charging for no insurance and two, it is difficult to believe that anyone who has racked up their 2nd or 3rd DUI and has no driver license or current registration is At the same time scrupulously maintaining their liability insurance policy in case they decide to take a joy ride. No Fing way.

Truckdoctor Andy, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel your pain, but that's the world we live in. Seems like the younger they are, the less responsibility they assume. Probably why I avoid people as much as possible.

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Here in Bama, you get caught driving without insurance, they pull the tags. It is on computer record in the DOT office in the Capital, and they get notified if the insurance lapses or is dropped or cancelled. I had a problem a few years back when my renewal didn't get posted as paid, and I had to send them proof I had paid it. They take that shit seriously, and I'm glad they do. There are still those that slip by, but usually not for long. Since all Police cars have computers and internet now, they can check you in seconds and you never know it.

21. trollst

trollst

No matter, no insurance, its a moot point. If she drives into your car, she fixes it, the damage wasn't there before she hit it, the damage won't be there once she makes it right. Thats how it works when you step into the adult stage of life, regardless of how good you are in bed, or, how good you look in clothes, period. This girl will depend on the fact she's a girl, you'll take pity and she gets away, furthermore, she's your neighbour? Grab her old man, explain the facts of life, and get to the next stage. If all it needs is polishing, SHE polishes it, then maybe she'll have an understanding of how much work it is to own a classic, and she'll be more careful about roaring into the driveway. Welcome to my method of dealing with life......

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Got to get police involved.. OP has no proof who did it, may be too late now, maybe girl's bf will take care of?

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unfortunately it's not just the young...

Parents play a responsiblity in this as well...Shit flows downhill...

...watch where you park...this was in a shared driveway, I get that but I've been sitting in my daily in parking lots having the car used as a bumper stop for every age bracket...shit drivers are shit drivers...

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If she hit my 55 Sunliner or 37 Chevy it would be world war 3,she probably does not have anything so I am going to see how we can work it out. If it would happen to one of the others I would turn it over to my insurance company and let them deal with it since they have full coverage,this car I is my beater old car but I want it repaired some.

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could buy a used fender and door through your channels as that may be a better route and Bill them...if you get rust free parts that may better than bondo...

It's morally wrong to not accept responsibility and the Boyfriend should be leading the way...

26. On a similar note...I had a family member recently sideswipe a parked car on the side of the road in a bad storm with limited vision. Anyway, knocking on the guys door the next morning was tough, but the right thing to do. He hadn’t even noticed the damage, but I told him I would fix his truck and cover all the parts. Anyway, kinda strange actually that he let me do the work not knowing if I was a hack or what. As it turns out, I fixed a few other things on his truck too while I was at it. Actually made a new friend in the deal and he was amazed I would do the right thing in today’s world. Anyway, the girl that hit your car may not have insurance or be able to do the work, but she is still responsible to make it right somehow.

27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

You might consider this idea to prevent a recoccurence... get a load off bolders and separate the driveway. Then she can sideswipe them to her hearts content.

28. indyjps

indyjps

Well, its your neighbors new girlfriend, whats his opinion. Is he planning to keep her around - will he assist with payment.

If hes not planning on keeping her around, file a police report to document the damage, so she doesnt disappear, and wait until he gives her the boot to collect on the damages.

I would pursue some type of payment, even if you do the work to fix it, youre out a lot of time.

Lil32, 427 sleeper, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

So what did the lady/girl say about it?
    It seems you spoke with her if you know she has no insurance, but did she say “I have no money, I can’t pay..”?

30. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Actually, California is ranked number 10 in the country with 16% of uninsured drivers as of 2019-2020.
    Auto
    According to the Insurance Information Institute;
    IN THIS FACTS + STATISTICS

SHARE THIS
    Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage reimburses policyholders in an accident involving an uninsured, underinsured or hit-and-run driver. Twenty states and the District of Columbia have mandatory requirements for uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. More than half of the states have passed laws and begun to develop and implement online auto insurance verification systems to identify uninsured motorists.

In 2019, 12.6 percent of motorists, or about one in eight drivers, were uninsured, according to a 2021 study by the Insurance Research Council (IRC). The percentage was at a nine-year high of 13.1 percent in 2017 but fell to 12.6 percent in 2018 and 2019. Mississippi had the highest percentage of uninsured motorists in 2019, 29.4 percent, followed by Michigan (25.5 percent), Tennessee (23.7 percent), New Mexico (21.8 percent) and Washington (21.7 percent). New Jersey had the lowest, 3.1 percent, followed by Massachusetts (3.5 percent), New York (4.1 percent), Maine (4.9 percent) and Wyoming (5.8 percent). The IRC measures the number of uninsured motorists based on insurance claims, using a ratio of insurance claims made by people who were injured by uninsured drivers relative to the claims made by people who were injured by insured drivers. Twenty-one states and the District of Columbia had uninsured motorist rates in 2019 greater than the countrywide rate (12.6 percent) while 29 states had rates below the countrywide rate.

Estimated Percentage Of Uninsured Motorists, 1992-2019 (1)

Year
    Percent
    1992 15.6%
    1993 16.0
    1995 14.2
    2000 13.4
    2005 14.6
    2010 12.3
    2015 11.3
    2016 12.2
    2017 13.1
    2018 12.6
    2019 12.6
    (1) Percentage of uninsured drivers, as measured by the ratio of uninsured motorists (UM) claims to bodily injury (BI) claim frequencies.

Source: Insurance Research Council.

View Archived Tables

Top 10 Highest And Lowest States By Estimated Percentage Of Uninsured Motorists, 2019 (1)

Highest Lowest
    Rank
    State Percent uninsured Rank State Percent uninsured
    1 Mississippi 29.4% 1 New Jersey 3.1%
    2 Michigan 25.5 2 Massachusetts 3.5
    3 Tennessee 23.7 3 New York 4.1
    4 New Mexico 21.8 4 Maine 4.9
    5 Washington 21.7 5 Wyoming 5.8
    6 Florida 20.4 6 Pennsylvania 6.0
    7 Alabama 19.5 7 New Hampshire 6.1
    8 Arkansas 19.3 8 Connecticut 6.3
    9 District of Columbia 19.1 9 Utah 6.5
    10 California 16.6 10 South Dakota 7.4
    (1) Percentage of uninsured drivers, as measured by the ratio of uninsured motorists (UM) claims to bodily injury (BI) claim frequencies.

Source: Insurance Research Council.

View Archived Tables

Estimated Percentage Of Uninsured Motorists By State, 2019 (1)

Lowest
    Uninsured Rank (2) State Uninsured Rank (2)
    Alabama 19.5% 7 Montana 8.5% 38
    Alaska 16.1 14 Nebraska 9.3 34
    Arizona 11.8 24 Nevada 10.4 32
    Arkansas 19.3 8 New Hampshire 6.1 45
    California 16.6 10 New Jersey 3.1 51
    Colorado 16.3 13 New Mexico 21.8 4
    Connecticut 6.3 44 New York 4.1 49
    Delaware 8.5 38 North Carolina 7.4 41
    D.C. 19.1 9 North Dakota 13.0 21
    Florida (3) 20.4 6 Ohio 13.0 21
    Georgia 12.4 23 Oklahoma 13.4 18
    Hawaii 9.3 34 Oregon 10.7 30