Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Keeping the patina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spillaneswillys, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Said it before... Any guy that put's clear on "patina", Probably clears his fingernails...
    Like that stupid show with the poser...
    Now for the disclaimer: Not that there's Anything wrong with that..

504640 likes this.
  2. twenty8

twenty8

Each to their own. If everyone liked the same thing how would we ever get to insult, point, and laugh at others.

3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just let it age as it was meant to do like my old 48 Merc. P1010076.JPG P1010068.JPG 48 Merc Drivers side.jpg

4. If you have a vision for the car go for it! Will every one like it? the answer is no but if you don't follow through with your plan you won't be happy.

You may love the look, then again you may dislike it but you will never know if you don't follow your dream. HRP

5. indyjps

indyjps

I would suggest CLR to neutralize the rust and bring any remaing paint to the surface.

You can thin paint way down and lay mist coats to get some green back on it. Some thin coats, buff it out, and still use a surface protectant. I prefer johnsons paste wax, heavy carnuba. For an oil coat I use danish oil, its a drying furniture oil blend similar to linseed.

You can tint clear with your green to make a transparent coating, almost a version of a candy

I would use a flattened clear, you can choose how much shine you want by buffing it.

Find a paint line that uses the same reducer in clear and paint, enamel is probably your best bet, and its cost effective if it all goes bad.

Full gloss clear over patina looks very bad

mrspeedyt likes this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Cars that look rusty n crappy,look to be owned by lazy owners,cars that are shiny last longer,look better an are EZ'er to keep up. Do the real work or not. Not" looks like not! Can be a nice car. Only my 2 cents,it's your time too shine !

7. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I wonder what is under the finish of the body , can you wash it off with some thinner. Here is a 48 Willis I had and my s 209914167_144852611048268_8171209563270862498_n.jpg 213095365_851655692227485_2072105201796644323_n(1).jpg on has taken over. The gray primer was applied decades ago and he just finished scrubbing it down with lacquer thinner.

mrspeedyt and Hollywood-East like this.
  8. corncob ,...I'd rather look at 2-3 cars like yours than 2 dozen shiny, perfect, immaculate hot rods.

this debate will go on forever, some people like red cars, some people like blue ones, it's just a matter of what someone likes, ....to me variety is what makes things interesting.
    ...if people who drove cars like yours were all "lazy" , they probly wouldn't even have an old car...

9. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I left my Tudor body as it was. Built the chassis and put the body back on. That’s what I wanted. It’s all in what the owner/builder wants. Not that you’re lazy or not! 3FDD8F31-F696-4909-9B30-1322CED57B38.jpeg

10. ^^^ be a shame to change that A bone.^^^

11. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I thought so too! Anyone can patch panel one and make it shiny! Find one good rust free one that hasn't been all patched up and leave it alone!

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Aside from the shiny/Patina debate..... I have some european friends have used this with great success on weathered paint....
    Anyone have any more to add to this product?....(seems hard to find)

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 12.05.54 PM.png

13. No but I’m gonna find some and try it. Thanks.

this might help my bus

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    deathrowdave likes this.
  14. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Thanks for the lead, Jeff. Will have to look that up.
    Marcus...

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To you.. if I bought it it would be blown apart and painted in a heartbeat. We are all correct here in saying it is the owner/builders perogative to build what he wants and ours if we buy it and change it.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A rusty horse. Beat to shit. Clear coat over the bruising.

17. this thread is about to be shut down...

18. Budget36

Budget36

I don’t mind preserving old tin, as been said before “it’s only like that once”. But to see a body painted or in primer, then bolt on rusty fenders then pinstripe them, not my cup of tea.
    That said it’s not my car, and since the OP didn’t ask for opinions on how it might look, I’ll reserve my opinion until I see it all together.

19. There is a 36 coupe that is pretty much what I am doing that the finish product was just posted here and it has gotten rave reviews .