Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do with your car today? * NEW*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.

1. ^^^I've got several of those "shift knobs",,,some in their intended use even.

2. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

IMG_3412.jpg Grand-daughter wanted to go for a ride. So we did. She even drove, kind of. Love it when they want too.

3. Elevated the front end for off road clearance :D 20210808_122922.jpg 20210808_151755.jpg 20210808_183924.jpg

4. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

20210808_223611_(1).jpg I worked on getting this bed a little closer to priming.

Tim, Elcohaulic, mgtstumpy and 10 others like this.
  5. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  6. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

August 9th 2021 Main bearing caps and bolts were submerged in the Oileater parts washer soup for an hour. That revealed paint overspray and rear seal remnants still in the rear cap so they were dug out and wire wheeled with the Dremel tool, then another session in the parts washer. The bearings themselves got an hour's session in 100% Oileater, not the Oileater/water mix in the parts washer.

Then, the the caps and bolts got a session in the Ultrasonic cleaner at 80 degrees C for 99 minutes and that was followed by a dip in Evapo-Rust for the caps. No rust on the bolts and they were set aside.

The bearings also got a separate Ultrasonic cleaner session. They came out of the Ultrasonic the worse for wear, not looking as good as when they went in. I lightly buffed one of the thrust bearing halves and took it with me, along with the unbuffed half to the Sunday morning coffee cruise-in. The consensus among my fellow Senile and Surly Club members was that the bearings were serviceable, New ones would be better if available. I lightly buffed the remaining bearings and put them aside with the main caps which got a light coating of Marvel Mystery Oil.

Beer of the day is Fulton Brewing's Lonely Blonde American Blonde Ale. Background music was Glenn Miller Chattanooga Choo Choo The #1 hits.

[​IMG]

7. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Spent some time getting a idea of what needs to happen to get a cage in this cab. studebaker build 001.JPG

Tim, Elcohaulic, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  8. j hansen

j hansen

:D
    Remember July 21 Skärmavbild 2021-08-09 kl. 12.50.10.png And now you are back.....:D

9. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I am back ! it has been 3 weeks this morning. For the most part I feel pretty good. This last go round has really kicked my butt. You know the old saying " if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself " the only problem with that is I would not have had nearly the fun !

10. Yesterday, in terrible humidity, I added a few missing pieces up to last weekends purchase. Then, once I figured out what little I need, I took it all the way down to the bare chassis

Attached Files:

Tim, mgtstumpy, nunattax and 5 others like this.
  11. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Reanimated some rare Chevy turbo heads from an old B/MP Corvette, now going on my far-from-original '62 Corvette. IMG_5539.JPG

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  12. Replaced the six year old spark plugs.

Elcohaulic and Big mike 1968 like this.
  13. nobby

nobby

IMG_20210809_170438.jpg
    [​IMG]
    body filler in the frame rails...................

mgtstumpy and Big mike 1968 like this.
  14. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

body filler in the frame rails...................[/QUOTE]
    As long as it is backed with fiberglass mat, you should be fine...

bchctybob and 61Cruiser like this.
  15. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Had my crank balanced and polished studebaker build 001.JPG and he got all the journals the same diameter. One more thing finished !

16. LAROKE

LAROKE

August 10th 2021 Went over the nailhead crankshaft with Oileater. A couple of the counterbalances had red and yellow paint marks. Found a shard on one of the counterbalances from machining that almost drew blood. Looks like both the machinist and the builder missed it. I took it off.

Decided to take the rust off the crankshaft by submerging it in Evapo-Rust so, I cleaned up my tire leak testing tub that is just the right size for this job. Required 12 gallons to submerge the crankshaft.

Beer of the day is Hamburg Brewing Company's Two Two Mango Mangolicious Ale. Background music was Rolling Stones Exiles on Main Street.

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy, Lil32, charleyw and 6 others like this.
  17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Had an issue last summer with a stupid plastic oil gauge line popping off the engine. Big mess on a fresh engine bay, and after a couple days cleanup, and a new copper line it's been great. Then two days ago I noticed a small spot of oil on the driver's side floor mat! Appears the line was leaking, but when I got up under the dash the line was very tight. So might be the gauge leaking.
    I'm tired of oil lines inside the cab on my '39, so ordered an electronic gauge that's a close match to what I have, and will change it out today, if it arrives from Summit early enough, before the temps get too hot!

18. Callmaker

Callmaker

Today, I put my American 200's back on!!!*
    DSCN5441.JPG

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

worked on replacing the rear end new brakes alignment and bearings .put some fluid in the m/c

Big mike 1968 and j hansen like this.
  20. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

20210810_150255.jpg Today, I worked on getting my seat frame made and mocked up and seat installed. Now I get to take it apart to paint and get this little seat recovered.

Elcohaulic, mgtstumpy, blowby and 4 others like this.
  21. Drove the Fargo on the longest drive yet. About 60 miles. Zero issues. Going to work on some sound deadening now.

22. 2935ford

2935ford

drove to the bank.
    at the bank 001a.jpg

Tim, Elcohaulic, 61Cruiser and 9 others like this.
  23. LAROKE

LAROKE

August 13th 2021 Pulled the crankshaft from the Evapo-Rust dip after twenty-four hours, misted it with Marvel Mystery Oil and started setting up to polish the journals. Cut sheets of 800 and 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper into strips as wide as the journals and cannibalized my oldest pair of PF Flyers for shoestrings to provide motive power for the polishing. WD-40 to wet the paper and Blue Magic polish for the finish.

Got Dad's '59 Chilton Manual out to check the specs for main and rod journals and commenced measuring the crank journals with a 3" micrometer. I was confused by my initial readings as my precision measurement Kung Fu is not strong. I will recalibrate the mic and go again.

Beer of the day is Fulton Brewing's 300 IPA Hop Royalty. Background music was Always in my Heart Classic WWII Songs Volume Two.

[​IMG]

24. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I'd like to see those PF Flyers! Chuck Taylor All Stars and Barracuda jackets were popular here too... I still have two jackets..

25. LAROKE

LAROKE

[​IMG]

I always have at least two pairs, one for the shop and one for dress occasions :D

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Prefer to use cloth close to the width of my sandpaper for polishing, as it will keep the surface flat, and more even than a shoestring will. Ripping strips from old jeans material works well to back it.

27. brading

brading

We knew them as baseball boots when I was a kid 60 odd years ago

28. ken bogren

ken bogren

Disassembled the front section of the e-brake system on my 61 f100 and freed and cleaned the frozen cable. Got some brackets soaking in a little vinegar to clean up some of the rust. I took the handle out too, tomorrow I'll work on cleaning that.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  29. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

First start after dropping the FE and rebuilt overdrive toploader in.

First ride, after break in and no leaks I put the hood on.

Still need the correct speedo cable, for those who are observant of the 0mph reading.

20210813_200718.jpg

30. goldmountain

goldmountain

Picked up a couple of nails in a tire on my daily driver. Since I had to go to the tire shop anyway, I had them mount tires on the new wheels I bought for the Austin. Had to stuff them in place to see how they look. Making the suspension pieces should be an interesting try to imagine in 3d ex IMG_1531.JPG ercise.