Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help identifying Ford brake calipers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McTavish77, Aug 7, 2021.

1. McTavish77

McTavish77

Hey Hamb’ers…I picked up a ‘50 Ford Shoebox a while back and I’m going through the brake system and need to replace/rebuild the front disc calipers. Problem is, I have no idea what they’re off of. If anyone can help identifying based off of the pics I’d greatly appreciate it. Let m know if there are any other pics that you may need to help or further info!! Thanks everyone!

-Andy

Attached Files:

2. I'm probably completely wrong...but the calipers look GM to me.

3. Mid-70s-up Ford Sliding calipers. If you have 10 or 11" rotors, probably Granada/Maverick. Bigger rotors, full-size Ford or Torino. You can also check caliper piston size to nail it down further. I suspect the latter, as while it's been a while, IIRC only the bigger cars used a separate, bolt-on caliper bracket. On most of the smaller cars the bracket was integral with the spindle.

deathrowdave and gimpyshotrods like this.
  4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

5. McTavish77

McTavish77

thanks for the info Steve! I measured the OD on the piston it’s approximately 2.70”. Does that help in any way?

This car is kind of a Frankenstein (9” rear out of a Bronco, column out of a LTD, console from an Olds, etc…) and I have paperwork on everything done to the car but no info on the front end!!!

6. According to what I can find most used a 2.6" diameter piston. Are you sure yours is bigger? If 2.6" is the size, that caliper was used on just about everything in '77; Granada, LTD, T-Bird, Torino.

7. McTavish77

McTavish77

Thanks Steve…I finally had some time to get the caliper out to get a better measurement on the piston and the OD is 2 5/16” so 2.3 and some change. Wondering if it belongs to a Mustang II is something similar.

8. Where the boot goes can be smaller, the piston needs to be out of the bore for an accurate measurement. The M2 uses the same 2.6" piston.

9. McTavish77

McTavish77

Thanks for all the info Steve; very much appreciated! You got me on the right track in what I need to hunt for!

10. AMC also used those calipers in the '70's. They could be out of an AMC Concorde or Spirit.

11. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Looks like the Granada

12. Agree, mid 1970 Ford, likely a Torino or LTD, definitely mid-size. These were some of the better calipers Ford used in the era.