Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot rod magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

got my new issue in the mail yesterday. As usual they seem to be doing a good job of including something for everyone in each issue. Has everyone subscribed yet? Yeah I am going to keep harping on this

Here is an article on a test drive of a brand new 59 El Camino
    4001B965-F651-4E2A-99C8-6608476EE606.jpeg

Here’s an article on a barn find hot rod 33 Ford
    7FCDEFAC-43D7-487A-B4D5-5687C12035D3.jpeg 5C7C2E8F-0334-4486-AF4C-004A81101A87.jpeg D70FB0B4-A526-4196-801C-3DB9B0791900.jpeg CAFFC9EB-F454-49D4-B877-37F39F3F5E22.jpeg

2. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Haven’t got mine yet, probably Monday

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Mark…I’m with you..keep print alive….how about Speed and Kulture magazine..I’m digging the fact they’re including some early 70’s Street Machines, as well as traditional Hot Rods and Kustoms…

4. Just wondering. Is HRM OK with these copyright images. It's free advertising I suppose.

5. Mark, I got my October 2021 issue. Read it all over, then placed it with the other 873 issues, in it's correct storage tub. I wish that I owned a January 1948 issue, then I would have all 874 issues.

Rand Man, Andamo, Driver50x and 3 others like this.
  6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Nope. Got 9,000 magazines and of those 7,000 are H.A.M.B. era. I have no need for modern magazines.
    I guess I'm kind of odd about test reports. I really enjoy reading the ones that were done when the cars were new. They drove the cars hard and pointed out things to praise and things that weren't very good. A honest opinion of a at that time new car. A 2021 test drive of a over restored better than originally built vehicle is boring. Especially if a vehicle has been upgraded with modern technology.
    A article on a true survivor car is of interest but that's about it.

brigrat and Blue One like this.
  7. partssaloon

partssaloon

Still get mine but the print is so small and crammed together it is a pain to read.

8. I agreed with you, I'm guessing that due to the shortage of printed media that appeal to us, they needed to broaden their viewership and include stuff that appeals to a more traditional crowd. Even if that's not the case, its still refreshing to see.

Driver50x and dirty old man like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't had a sub to hot rod for a few years and have gotten selective as to the ones I buy at the store.
    I might snag that one though.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

there aren't many left to buy at the store....subscribe while there's still something available

11. Slopok

Slopok

The subscription price makes them almost free!

12. Driver50x

Driver50x

Thanks for the reminder. I just ordered my subscription. Check out
    2021offer.hotrod.com
    It’s $15 for a two year subscription. Unbeatable.

ratrodrodder and Moriarity like this.
  13. Subscribe, Subscribe, Subscribe!

if you guys can't afford $7.50 for 12 issues, you ae damn cheap.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    ratrodrodder, Driver50x and Moriarity like this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Ask us Rodders Journal lifetime subscribers if it was worth it heck even ask regular subscribers.
    I also had 2 years left during one of the numerous R&C deaths and was left hanging.

There have been plenty of magazines with a good base of subscribers in the past who have closed up shop.

It’s nice to be able to buy a magazine from the rack in the store and that’s what I will continue to do until I can’t anymore and I don’t think that will be too long from now.

In my opinion and experience subscribing won’t help keep a publication going these days.

15. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I’m in (again).
    John

Moriarity and Driver50x like this.
  16. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

i have been a subscriber since about 81 ,,threw kindling on what has been a 30 year career ,, without HOT ROD and others Id probably be stuck on a cube farm somewhere looking for my red stapler ,SAVE THE PRINT ,,,
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

rod1 and Moriarity like this.
  17. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Rant; sorta:
    Aahhhh, I dunno... After reading the latest HR, I'm getting real tired of HotRod(any HR-editor-types on here?), & other marketing mediums - & their "writers" & advertisers. I don't suppose I should bitch, but part of that article goads(& galls me. :D ) me. Words actually mean specific things, in the past, present, & should mean the same thing in the future. Otherwise, just how the hell do you communicate ideas, concepts, & info to one another?
    It seems that the "writer" & owner, a Chuck Vranus, bought this old Ford. It also seems it's ROT-free. *Maybe.* He states:"it's RUST-free"! Well, no, mr Chuck - it sure as hell is NOT rust-free. I'm not totally blind, stupid, or a complete idiot, & I'm damn sick of being continually gas-lighted ( Ya, & lied to, too!) by damn near every radio, tv, newspaper, magazine, & most websites. That car is covered in Rust. FYI: that reddish, brownish dusty &/or flaky stuff is rust. Welcome to reality. I suggest you look up the definitions(s) of rust vs rot.
    In various articles, & ads in different mediums:
    rot = rust
    rust = no rust
    rust = patina
    Maybe try for a bit of truth & honesty, instead of trying to build up your damned ego w/fake info. SOME people actually do know the difference.
    Yup. I don't have anything even that nice, but I'm not lying about it (them).
    Sigh...
    gets off soapbox & sadly shakes head, ends rant.. ;( .
    Marcus...

18. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Chuck has been an editorial contributor to numerous hot rod publications for the past 25+ years and has entered two cars in the America's Most Beautiful Roadster competition. His ego definitely doesn't need the stroking. Get off your soapbox, as you haven't earned the right to have one, and just take in the story.

SOME people do more than comment on the HAMB and belittle those that are actually, actively hot rodding.

wheeldog57, i.rant, Dave Mc and 5 others like this.
  19. RatRoy

RatRoy

Good stuff here

20. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

VERY well said.

Moriarity and dana barlow like this.
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Time has changed my out look a little,as other parts change also. Rod an custom Mag's are all but gone,and being old I miss them. I dropped "HOT ROD" back in the mid 1960's=the time they had a VW Dune buggy on the cover,I hated those things then, an thought HOT ROD had lost its way,didn't even look at it again 10 years an didn't like it then ether.
    But now that I'm in fear of all mag.'s being gone forever, I buy it again. Franky most are full of what to me is crap an adds. But now an then something good,so I'll keep picking one up from time to time.
    So I now buy off the mag. stand,sure it cost more,but at the same time,I really like that it's on the stand were new guys*****can see an get one too. < keeping that alive.!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    Driver50x likes this.
  23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

And the inner circle clique will defend one of their own until all dissenting opinions are quenched.
    " Get off your soapbox, as you haven't earned the right to have one,"
    One of the most offensive statements made. Everyone has the right to a opinion. Who are you to tell anyone they they cannot speak their mind in public?

dan31, kevinrevin, 97 and 3 others like this.
  24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You are correct that everyone has a right to an opinion... absolutely.
    ... as long as you have all the correct story and information....do you?
    The whole 33 story was never intended to be shot for an article.... it was a gift from one artist to another for helping out on non-automotive commercial jobs..... The Photographer,Mr. Wes Allison was approached to sell his wares months after and HOT ROD picked it up.
    My mother Taught me also about opinions.....
    If you have nothing nice to say.... move on.

The Inner Circle?....I don't know or have even met Wes Allison,I don't know a soul at HR magazine either.... and any affiliation with anybody there.
    But i will say..I will defend a best friend at any cost..... integrity is one of the most sacred things that today we have very little of.
    So when some shits all over a very close pal who doesn't even know or met him,and has know idea on the truth....
    I will defend him.

25. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Well Said..RE subscribing today.Upping my Alliance too..

Moriarity likes this.
  26. 5window

5window

I subscribe to HotRod and if it's not all about our kind of cars, that's OK.It's cheap and I always learn something. I do wish they'd use better lighting on some of those "How to" features. The pictures are small and it's hard to see what they are doing sometimes.

I guess if you don't like an article, move on to the next. If you don't like the magazine, give it away. Plenty of folks in nursing homes/hospitals, maybe your place of worship who are desperate for something to read that's not about the economy, politics or the pandemic.

verde742, i.rant and Jeff Norwell like this.
  27. 5window

5window

There's "rust" and there's "Rust". Rust has daylight behind it.

The 39 guy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  28. Pete

Pete

This is typical HAMB

this is why i don’t post often anymore. Every post turns into some sort of opinionated right of passage. Why not post pictures of your cars, show what you’ve been working on? Why do people always have to be so goddam negative, bitter and snarky?

I know chuck,,,,he has no ego.

29. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

Hadn't subscribed to a magazine in a number of years but like what I see from Hot Rod. So I figured for the price it would be cheap entertainment. Came across this offer that seemed a little better for 3 years total @ $20. Dont care about the watch.

https://www.circsource.com/store/Subscribe.html?offerId=801

Driver50x and 5window like this.