Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Look what followed me home today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jan 17, 2021.

1. My friends 66 impala. He has no issues closing the hood so i hope mine does to. 20210713_151144.jpg

enloe, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

I prefer the air cleaner covers with the ridge in them. The decals might look ok if they're scaled down and redesigned to work with the smaller diameter of your covers (but that might make them look funny), but as they are, not a big fan.

racer-x likes this.
  3. Well you asked. The stickers might be okay, if they were smaller and more to scale with the air cleaner lid.

Deuces and racer-x like this.
  4. impala4speed

impala4speed

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I like the ones on the magazine cover that have perfectly flat tops with no ridge or taper or anything. I remember those from back in the day as being high quality stuff. Also a flat top with louvers around the out er perimeter like an early Corvette, in diameters anywhere from about 6-in to 9 in.

loudbang likes this.
  6. The pic is poor of the magazine cover. It has the ridge like mine. They are exactly the same. I already peeled the stickers off the flat lids. Sometimes you just have to try something. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

7. After a 12 hr day at work tonight im cutting pistons. These open chamber pistons are getting .100 off the top. They were set up in a six jaw chuck. With the aluminum heads i should be at 10.5 compression. Its what needed to be done. Its hard to find 427 pistons unless they are custom made. Then wait months for them. 20210803_201524.jpg

8. squirrel

squirrel

David Gersic and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek: Hi Brian.Looking good Sir.Best wishes for a successful maiden voyage.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  10. Squirrel you know im weak when it comes to blown cars. Just looking at that post put all kinds of thoughts into my head. One of my all time favorite cars is Pete Seatons 66 Chevelle. One of the eras first nitro cars.
    I was told when i was putting eight strombergs on the hemi i couldnt ever make it run. The same was said about a nitro street car. Then there was the nitro afx car. Fortunately there is a thread on the crossram chevy on how to make it run. I certainly would not be the first to like the way it performs after reading it. Im staying the course for now. i got the intake sandblasted before work. i like the lighter finish. 20210804_104642.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Runnin shine, swade41, enloe and 9 others like this.
  11. I wasn't planning on getting a vintage camper until the car was finished. I put the word out to some friends what my plans were. Thursday a buddy called to tell me about this one on the Facebook vintage camper site. Its a 1965 Forester. They were made in Iowa. The original dealer tag is on it. The camper was sold from the Racine;Wisconsin dealer on hwy 20. Thats my hometown. Its only a few miles from me. Whats the chances of that? Its in great shape. The stripe was originally blue. I will repaint it to match the car. Symco car show and vintage camper show here i come. Its this weekend. 20210808_104952.jpg 20210808_105005.jpg

12. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There REALLY needs to be a statute that limits the amount of Cool Shit one man should have... Jus' sayin'... LOL!!! :p:p:p Another Killer find! Nice job Man!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Runnin shine, enloe, Algoma56 and 5 others like this.
  13. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

cool trailer

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  14. I have been watching for campers everywhere for the last two years. What i have found is they were all left outside. The roofs leak and rot out the floor. This one has been gutted. Everything was replaced with new parts. It has a stove and ac. I will use it a few times this year then do a few minor things over the winter. My wife is great with a sewing machine. Matching curtains sound like a good winter project.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Was the Forester made in Forest City, Iowa? That's were Winnebago is. Maybe a small time competitor?

16. It was. I started to do some research on them.

loudbang likes this.
  17. I would like to see more pics of the pistons after the dome cut .
    It would be informative and give some insight into making them work for the street .
    Then pics of blending and polishing the crown,,,,they would look like new,,,I’ll bet ?

Tommy

loudbang likes this.
  18. It doesnt look like much. The dome was cut .100 it wasnt removed. I sanded by hand the sharp edge removing it. I will get a pic when i get them back.

loudbang likes this.
  19. I have one of the best polishing guys. He sent me a sneak peak of my eelco valve covers. They still need the final polish and de grease. They are perfect. They will get chevy orange paint between the fins. Before and after pics. I get to pick them up Thursday. 20210727_160400.jpg IMG_3091.jpg IMG_3092.jpg 20210727_160400.jpg IMG_3091.jpg IMG_3092.jpg
    I just picked up the first pile of parts from the powder coater. All of the cool parts i have been finding are being re conditioned. Things are starting to come together.

20. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Your correct, he is the best. Tell Mike I said hello when you see him. Does Mirror Image do your powder?

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. yes they do. hwy 32 just past the hob nob on the west side of the street. they can sand blast your parts for you.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  22. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

They did all the powder on the Comet, good people, quality work.

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I would be tempted to find a couple of the Cal Custom breathers that look like Injector scoops to put on the cross ram.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    Deuces and racer-x like this.
  24. With the 57 vette project stalled waiting on parts im back on the 66. New axle studs are in the moser axles. I did a brake job. The E T cover went on. I still need to put the green sticker on it. The ladder bars are on some what. The full weight of the car needs to be on the axles before the frame mount gets bolted on. The rear end moves forward without the weight. Sharp eyes will catch the gold morosso u joint girdles. They were alot stronger than the straps.
    I took some advice posted earlier about ball joint spacers. Im not using them. Instead i have a pair of original 20210906_141009.jpg 20210906_194903.jpg 20210906_194848.jpg aluminum coil spacers. The morosso trick springs make the car sit just a touch too low. This should cure that. One and a half inches can really change the look. It wont be street freak high just a inch above stock. It should be perfect.

25. squirrel

squirrel

He's just gotta have the Lakewoods on this car....

racer-x and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, they look pretty modern!

27. I believe the bars pictured are for leaf spring cars. It looks like a updated slapper bar. Coil spring cars use ladder bars. I have never in my life seen a chevelle with that style bar.
    The ladder bars im using were on my car when i bought it all those years ago. So they have to go back on.

Dick Stevens, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  28. 20210907_110531.jpg 20210907_094535.jpg Big news today. I just picked up the 427 before work. Its ready to paint and assemble. I have real enamel paint that sprays out of a gun. No rattle can paint that washes off with brake cleaner. A bodies can cause problems with oil pan clearence so i went with a proven fitting pan. The milodon holds 7 quarts. While not 60s correct at least its under the car. I will build it this weekend. The heads in the picture will not be going on. Aluminum snow flakes are. 20210907_094511.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  29. Im not calling you a lier
    i have just never seen a set on a car. I cant even pisture how they would work. They must not have worked too good otherwise they would be on everyones A body. Do you have a installed pic? It would be interesting to see the set up.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Didn't think you were calling me a liar, just wanted to point out that they were indeed created for coil cars as opposed to leafs :) (these ones specifically).

As mentioned, I deleted the posts pertaining to the traction/lift bars. Trying to keep your thread on track not derail it with stuff you aren't using :) (I will delete this one too).