Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody still making ball joint spacers for tri-fives?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Aug 7, 2021.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I've done a ton of searching and can't seem to find any. I'm talking the solid type, NOT the C type. I know there used to be some sellers on the auction sites, but they are no longer available.

For reference, I'm needing them to correct the upper A arm angle and provide more travel on a car that I installed taller springs and spring spacers. The upper control arms are currently super close to the frame and hit on rebound.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Johnny Gee likes this.

3. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the ones that squirrel linked to above on my '56. They're good quality billet pieces and came with grade 8 hardware. They fit the control arm and balljoint perfectly, but I had to cut the bumpstop's off of the upper spring pocket's on the outside of the frame to get full range of motion on the suspension, with the spacer's installed. You might need longer front shocks or shock extension's too, I used extension's.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  5. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

What about a taller ball joint in combination with a spacer? Get part of the needed space by splitting in to two different styles.
    This taller ball joint would get you 3/4", then get the other 3/4"... or more with the plate spacer(s).

1955-1957 Chevy StreetGRIP Taller Ball Joints - Each (ridetech.com)

Should be easy enough to make a custom spacers if you need to in common 1/2 or 1" thick steel plate. Or aluminum plate.
    A lathe to turn the OD to diameter needed, or even belt sand it round, lathe or drill press or mill center to do the thru-hole, and drill press/mill to do the bolt pattern. Then either saw, mill, or grind the needed flat on one side of the OD.

Another method would be all mill machining....saw pucks from solid round bar, mill flat after saw cut, machine ball joint hole, and drill bolt pattern, and straight mill the edge on one side..

Ask around your locality if anyone knows of someone who could whip that out for you in their home shop/Garage if you don't have the means yourself. Local cruise nights or cars shows are another good place to ask around.
    Often a few greenbacks and maybe some beers in a lot of localities will get it done in less than a weeks time. They may have scrap left over from another job, or you may have to procure the metal yourself, but you can usually find a machinist somewhere near you that could do the small job like that.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021