Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 Chevy 3600

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by KyleBern61, Aug 4, 2021.

1. KyleBern61

KyleBern61
    from Tulare, Ca

Hello,
    Been a few years since I’ve had a project, a couple of kids later and I’m ready to get back at it. I’m inheriting the families 46 Chevy 3600 that my grandfather has held on to, but his health has moved him to pass it on to me. California truck, second owners from the late 40s and it’s been passed on ever since.

My plans for this build are to keep a straight six in it. The 216 started up last week with usual replacement items for ignition system (plugs, wires, coil,..) Runs like a clock, but I anticipate moving to a 235 or ? at some point depending upon the difficulty of swap to a larger six cylinder motor. Right now I’m looking at brakes because they aren’t functioning and wondering if I should upgrade brakes. This is an 8 lug so not seeing much support to convert to bendix or disc. and wheel selection for an 8 lug is limited compared to the other common patterns. Id like to run this on the highway 65-70mph during good weather to work a few times a month so that’ll affect my decisions with this build. It’s a flatbed but I do like the metal beds if I can get my hands on one. I like the stock look, but would like to have reliability with traveling speed and braking.

That’s it’s for now. Trying to write out a build plan so that I’m not making too many costly changes along the way. Looking forward to doing this truck and reaching out for help here along the way.
    8DC2BA00-F9D0-4212-B3B1-827AD0389537.jpeg

9B03CE49-7389-46D7-91C2-37F3C60A9709.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Welcome to active life on the HAMB, from Illinois.

On the truck, I'd suggest getting the original brakes operating as new. Why change them until proven to be inadequate?
    Then work on other drivability issues to get it running and operating as originally intended. After all, it's worked for the family for 60+ years.

3. KyleBern61

KyleBern61
    from Tulare, Ca

Thanks for the welcome.. That was my original plan to keep the truck as is. I agree that the brakes can work, just concerned as I try to keep up/and stop with traffic in the future. The 8 lug pattern is also a factor in making changes to something more common for wheel options. Really happy to have this truck and looking forward to putting it to use.

4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. Nice truck. You will be putting that 216 into quite a strain wanting to go 65-70 doen the Hwy as back in its day normal speed for the trucks was 45 50 and were designed for that speed.
    I have a 46 5 passe3nger sport coupe and added a 255 with 0.060 bore, hot cam, dual two bbl Weber carbs, headers, etc and it really gets down the road and no problems with 65 70 MPH. Engine shown in my avitar here.
    ot sure which rear end ratio your truck haves as cars had 411, pickups had 355 which I changed to with the 235.
    A couple o parts sources are www.chevsofthe40s.com and www.fillingstation.com. Jimmie

5. KyleBern61

KyleBern61
    from Tulare, Ca

The setup your running is similar to what I plan for. 235 mated to a T5 tranny with decent gears in the rear will help me get down the road. I scored a 1/2 ton complete front end and will converting the truck over to 6 lug. The parts sources you’ve listed have been a good help, I’ve been referencing various items from there..

pprather likes this.
  6. KyleBern61

KyleBern61
    from Tulare, Ca

An update on my build, I had the pickup shipped down from grandparents in Northern Idaho and received it this past Monday. It’s nice to have it in front of me now, as I’ve been referencing pictures I had and the internet get an idea of what I need to do.

I have since gotten a 235 engine, was told it was a “good” runner, but upon further inspection I found the main bearings are worn/groves in crank also and .040 over. Went to machine shop yesterday and he had a 10/10 crank for my 235. Cylinders are .060 over, with little to no ridge at the top. Hoping he can hone the sidewalls and I can stay at .060 over, and use my current pistons. When he’s available to do my motor I’ll be having him buildout a long block. Hoping this is going to work out and that I didn’t buy a boat anchor. I also picked up a rebuilt S10 T5 transmission, with a 10 Spline input shaft. When I get the motor work completed I plan to get everything mated up. I also purchased a wiring harness from Ron Francis, I’ll be converting the pickup over to a 12 volt system.

Plenty of work to do in the meantime while I’m waiting in line for the engine work to get done. I’ll be removing the 216 and getting the engine bay cleaned up.

A77BE14A-5675-456C-B5FA-0839025DEBF9.jpeg

7F343E21-E8B3-4F4F-A2EF-0BA3B2FF30AE.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi again. Glad to see you have it home. That is really a great looking truck and they look with stake sides & wood bed floors. What is your rear end gear ratio? With your rig likely a 411 but most of the half ton pickups had a 355 and that is what I converted to in my 46 coupe and it easily went down the Hwy at 65 MPH with 700 16 rear tires. If the center carrier is the same as the pickups you might consider swapping out for a 355 ring & pinion.
    On tire replacements I was at Midas a few weeks ago getting an exhaust manifold gasket replaced on my 93 Cadillac and inquired about tires for it. Their main line is Cooper buy they have a custom line they carry for older tire sizes in either black or white walls. Bought a set of 4 with whitewalls installed and balanced for just a bit LESS than $400. They ride great and are radials made it Goodyear Bias ply molds. Jimmie

8. KyleBern61

KyleBern61
    from Tulare, Ca

This one’s got 4.56 in the rear, with the 4 speed granny low. Truck has been in my family since almost the beginning. Story goes that the man bought it new and didn’t like it. My great great grandfather told him to go pick out what he wanted and he’d buy the truck for their ranch. Been in the family ever since. I’ll be making some changes to get it highway worthy, but I want to preserve the look it has. I’ll be using a Colorado rear end for mine, certain years are a perfect swap as far as width goes and offer desirable gear ratios. That great info on the tires, I am thinking 29” radial if I can fit them on mine. I like the look of a wide sidewall/filled up fender well. Looking forward to getting it back on the road.