Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What were the factory carbs for a 425 dual quad nailhead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Feb 9, 2021.

1. atch

atch

What were the numbers on these carbs?

Specifically, I want to put my 425 nailhead into my '31 Model A 2-door sedan. I have the 425 (a single 4 bbl engine). I have an original factory Buick dual quad manifold.

Even though the car will be a hot rod, I want the engine to be as nearly factory stock as I can make it. Even a stock 425 with a 4-speed behind it will probably be all I should be trying to handle at my age.

I thought that factory Carter AFB's were made of unobtainium, but Jon (carbking) tells me that they actually are made from verypricium.

None-the-less, even though I'll find it hard to scrape together the funds to buy them, I'd still like to find a matched pair of what the factory would have installed originally.

I'm thinking that the original air cleaner won't look very good in a hotrod (perhaps hood top only or perhaps no hood) so I'll probably do something different for the air cleaners.

If it becomes apparent that I'll never find or afford originals I can always use Edlebrock carbs but would rather have originals.

Note: I'd really like to get the skinny from someone who actually has an original factory setup. Please don't suggest "you might try abc, xyz, or etc." Even someone as unknowledgeable as I am can do that. If originals don't work our I'll start another thread asking "what did you use and how did it work?"

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    57 Fargo likes this.
  2. You're correct with the AFB's. I detailed a '65 ( ?? ) Riviera with the Super Wildcat 425. Oddly, it's an automatic optioned car.

I can ask for carburetor numbers for you .. but I imagine Jon Carbking already knows them.

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

AFB's are available at a reasonable price, you don't need matching numbers just AFB's. When we had swap meets you could find rebuildable cores for $50 or less.

Pat

4. egads

egads

According to Carbkings site the 1964 425- front carb is a 3645 , rear is a 3646. These numbers are for the automatic. He doesnt have the number for the 4 speed front but has the rear as a 3634.

5. Do a search for the thread "how did your 401 nailhead fit". That will lead you to another 14 page thread from Hamtown Al about putting a 425 into a 32 Ford. It is an excellent build thread, and will give you other things to consider such as exhaust manifolds, motor mounts and more. He put dual quads on his, and he can give you the info about his. Unless you fab custom headers, you will need specific manifolds to fit between the rails and clear the steering box, starter, and oil filter. I can give you info on those manifolds, just PM me.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  6. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

‘65 Grand Sport Riv. Automatic. IMG_0599.JPG IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0623.JPG IMG_0622.JPG IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0621.JPG

Couple duplicate pictures, not very good at this picture posting!
    Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  7. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have all the factory linkage and fuel lines. I'd have to do some digging, but could locate them if you really need a reference.

8. carbking

carbking

Mike - "matching numbers" carbs are available, but pricey:

1964:

Front - 3645s
    Rear S/T - 3634s
    Rear A/T - 3646s

1965:

Front - 3645s
    Rear S/T - 3924s
    Rear A/T - 3925s

There are some other Buick AFB's which may be used, with recalibration.

However, all Buick AFB's are now much more expensive than they used to be, due to some folks thinking they can be converted into Pontiac Super Duty carbs. While the Buick castings are close to the Super Duty Pontiacs, they are definitely different. Carter actually converted Chevrolet 348 AFB's into the more common SD carbs, but as is often the case, perceived truth is more important the actual truth. Carter used the castings, and changed everything else, as the Chevrolet calibrations are pretty much different from all other AFB's. The Buick calibrations are MUCH closer to Pontiac. So now the Buick cores are more expensive than a few years ago.

If the throttle arms (eye candy) used by Buick are unimportant to you, some of the more common AFB's, at least currently, would be the Pontiac 3300s and 3326s. These could easily be calibrated to run very well on the Buick engine.

Making the genuine AFB's work on a Buick is not all that difficult (as long as you don't try to use Chevrolet cores, which would require MAJOR machine work and calibration); it is the eye candy (making it look completely original) that costs money.

Jon.

pwschuh, mgtstumpy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  9. Front carburetor is: 3645S and the rear is: 3646S

Automatic transmission. 1964.

10. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

I took this off of my '66 Riv. before I sold it in 1979, still have it sitting on the shelf! IMG_0449[1867].jpg

mgtstumpy, Deuces, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  11. atch

atch

Hey, everybody; I forgot to send out a great big THANX for this information.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to read and respond.

12. BoloBrown

BoloBrown

Care to sell it I have a 66 riv I’m rebuilding as we speak

13. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

One thing to note is that on the Buick 2x4 setup...the front carb is a dumper carb. No choke or idle circuits in the front carb. The engine runs off the rear carb, on a progressive linkage till you hit a certain point and the front one opens up or dumps open. You can use 409 carbs as they used a similar setup.

loudbang likes this.
  14. SuperWildcat

SuperWildcat

Installing a dual quad Nailhead in my 31 A also. the only thing I'd rather have than this dual quad setup is a Hilborn injection setup.

20210618_155650.jpg 20210618_155710.jpg 20210618_155722.jpg 20210618_155706.jpg 20210618_155645.jpg 20210618_155637.jpg 20210618_155655.jpg 20210618_160229.jpg

Deuces, loudbang, belair and 4 others like this.
  15. atch

atch

When you get this thing completed would you please snap some pix of it and post on the "Best Dressed Nailhead" thread?

16. loudbang and SuperWildcat like this.
  17. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

In the early 1980`s pep boys would have carburetors on sale. $10.00 for a two barrel and $20.00 for a 4 barrel. I have some carter's that have the center idle speed screw on the front between the idle mixture screws like the one posted above. They are not squarebores like a normal afb's but have a slight spread bore pattern to them.

loudbang and SuperWildcat like this.
  18. SuperWildcat

SuperWildcat

My rear carb is a clone. Calibrated to mimic the factory version on dual quad engines

loudbang likes this.