Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Magazine Cars

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Flatrod17, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Terry Slocum

Terry Slocum

Thanks everyone, good to know i am not hurting the history of people (like John Dianna) that played such a large part in the grouth of our sport. Although it was done for a magazine, I bought it with the intention of making it my own. After talking with the builder I found out why the grill and front was changed to a 34 (was a mystery to me as magazine pictures show 33) seams a staffer took it for a ride and had a mailbox jump out in front of him interesting to hear some history about a car you purchased. I hope to add some of my own.

2. If anyone's history should be hurt it is John Diannas! What a tool. If you dig thru the archives you can read up.

Just Gary, Dean Lowe and lurker mick like this.
  3. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

pul-eeze leave it alone! ever see a pic of what was done to "customize" grabowski's "kookie car"?

Elcohaulic likes this.
  4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Yeah, by Larry Watson.

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. Shortly after I uncovered the magazine I sent dean a conversation and ask him would he mind autographing the cover, he was gracious enough to do it and I got the magazine back in the mail today, I have had the magazine for 59 years.

I believe I'm going to frame it and hang it on the wall. :) HRP

Hamtown Al and jim snow like this.
  6. Your car.
    Changing things to fit a trend?
    Just don’t like some of it?
    Lots of hot rods and customs have been changed. Usually to keep up with the latest trend or fad. Then soon after it looks dated.
    Just keep that in mind as you make it your own.

Tman likes this.
  7. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

I started changing it, but this big 4 doesn't fit as well as I thought it would. test fit.jpg test fit3.jpg
    I think I am going to need a hood bubble!

Hamtown Al and Okie Pete like this.
  8. Can you mount it any lower?

9. I hope you're not going to tilt the nose forward.:eek:

10. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

I want to move it all back at least a inch and will drop the whole thing down about a inch. Any lower and the pan will be at the bottom of the front axle. Right now it is bolted to the automatic just to see how things would look. I have got some thinking to do.

Hamtown Al and Tman like this.
  11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I'm liking the hood bubble concept, esp w/the injectors hanging out. Cool! & purposeful. :D .
    Or, maybe a hole cut into the hood to let the engine peek thru. Love the valve cover.
    How about both, & just switch as the mood inspires?
    Marcus...

Tman likes this.
  12. That should help a bunch.

13. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like, no, love that gasser quote^^^^^^^^!!!

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is one with a boat motor, 1/2 of a 460, somewhat like yours . IMG_6498.JPG

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty
    Is the green roadster from Silverton?
    If it is I recall seeing it at PTW some years back, a very neat car.

16. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Marty that is the same engine as mine, but without the Boss head.

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I really like your original plan, 29 Roadster with a track nose. More engine bay height, plenty of room for 3- pedals, and black, with a vintage champ quickchange. I cannot find a photo, but around 2004, Dan Peterson, from Tacoma, built a customer, a blue and white 29, with a Louie Shefchick nose and head rest ! One of the best proportioned cars I have ever seen.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Doug, not sure where he lives, but his name is Glenn Eckert. He always parks with us at P-Trans, has some mobility issues, has a wheelchair strapped to the back of his modified.

Hamtown Al and Tman like this.
  19. THAT is hardcore!

loudbang likes this.
  20. Bitchen motor. I would love to hear that run with a long , "Indy car" style exhaust system.

Tman likes this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The term magazine cars and possible purchases falls into the same category of it is your own choice as to what you do with “your own car.” You must have liked the hot rod or custom in the first place to actually buy it. so, it is your car to do what you want. But, if it is a historic car that had been around a few times, then one might think of keeping it in its original state, with upgrades if one is going to drive it as a daily driver.

Daily driver, that is another hot rod misnomer. Who buys a custom car/hot rod and then uses it for the daily drive to work or school? Most are used on the weekends so the sight of the car is within eyeball distance and not left out on a giant parking lot. Or, left in daily competition with other million cars on the local freeways or surface roads.

It would be nice, but some just drive on the weekends with their hot rods/customs. So, a person must have liked the hot rod or custom in the first place to own/buy. But, from that point on, the upgrades are up to the person, not the commenting society of other owners. Upgrades for safety is the utmost for older builds, but not to the point of changing the complete look of the vehicle. Then again, if you go against the grain and want to change things, that is your call.

Magazine cars from those old days from the 50s and early 60s have some sort of reverence for everyone and no one wants to have it changed in any way. Then there are other cars that have been in magazines just because it was slightly different, but a complete car for the masses to enjoy. Now comes the hard part. Does one change things to get those “other” cars that have been in magazines, but not classified by most as icons or historic builds?

Jnaki
    upload_2021-8-11_4-9-44.png
    Would I take Jack Stewart’s historic, very respected build of a 1932 roadster and change things if I owned it? Yes. We would make it 2021 road safe and handle better as we would use it for everyday errands, local road trips across the So Cal counties to friend’s houses and when it is safe, take it on longer road trips like we used to do for fun. Nothing compares to driving a car that one enjoys, takes great pride in owning and drives the living daylights out of the enjoyment of an older hot rod.

Would I change the Ala Kart? Or the Dream Truck from Rod and Custom? No, but we wouldn’t think of owning them, anyway… But, as usual, for those with differing opinions…YRMV

Hamtown Al and Dean Lowe like this.
  22. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Jnaki,
    I first seen this car maybe ten years ago, thought it was a pretty cool car, but it was Chevy powered. I'm not really a Chevy guy. Never thought I might own it someday! But now I have it.
    As far as I can tell its not a famous car, and I agree I would never change a famous car or one owned by a famous person. So I decided to change it to my car. Its off at the body shop right now. It was the right call because the paint just flakes off, never really stuck to the primer.
    It is my hope to improve the car. Whether I run the 4 cyl or put some other V8 in it. Pretty much the car was well built. The plan is different tire/wheel, a repower, color change and a few safety things.

jnaki, Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.