Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Auto Hauling Prices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KCK71, Aug 4, 2021.

1. KCK71

KCK71

Looking for some cost info on transporting cars in the Midwest. Found a frame that could work for my project but would need it hauled from NE Ohio to Wisconsin, or at very least Chicago area and make a transfer there. It's just a rolling chassis, no body etc. so could on an open trailer or car hauler. Just wondering what the going rate is per mile, etc.?

2. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

You might just rent a u-haul trailer one way if you or a buddy has a vehicle with a hitch.

Xtrom likes this.
  3. KCK71

KCK71

Yup, looking into that and vehicle wear/tear to drive out and back. Considering renting both a truck and hauler from U-haul, just trying to do some cost comparison. Thanks.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

You didn't say what the rolling chassis is from, knocked down it may fit in a pickup or van. Brought home a '37 Ford frame years ago in a rented pickup.

Bob

5. KCK71

KCK71

Sorry about leaving out that detail. 53 or 54 Chevy frame with front and rear axles/suspension.

6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Moved a 1938 Ford pickup frame in the back of a 1959 Ford F-250 pickup bed. Drive it into the AZ Department of Transportation office to get the serial number checked and the title transferred.

The37Kid likes this.
  7. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

It looks to be an 8-hour trip, each way. If you rent a U-Haul, don't bother renting a trailer --> just put it in the bed (if it is a pick up) or in the box (if it is a box truck) and let it hang out of the back. I'd probably unbolt the rearend and springs. Strap it down really good and put a red flag on the end and head on down the road!!
    Be sure you have enough guys in OH to help lift it in the truck.

The37Kid and Big mike 1968 like this.
  8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Rent or buy a car dolly. Should be able to tow a frame with suspension easily with most cars.
    If you need to buy the dolly, you should be able to recoup your money by selling when you get back home.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The chassis takes up as much room on a trailer as a complete car so there isn't going to be much of a price cut there unless the hauler can haul a heavier rig along with it that might be iffy if they had two full size rigs. Then they have to winch it on the trailer.

Jefferson Ohio is about as NE Ohio as they show on a map and that is 408 miles in a pretty straight shot from Chicago. six and a half hours of car time. Without other issues I'd say the minimum to get it to Chicago is going to be around 600.

When I sold the 31 Vic body and frame last year the buyer paid me 200 I think to haul it the 170 miles to his place in Portland. With the time involved loading it, driving down and back plus the gas I didn't make day wages doing it but it got the sale done at a price I was comfortable with.
    I don't think you will find anyone who will haul it for less than 1.50 a loaded mile and with fuel costs going up by the day you may be looking at 2.00 a mile plus extra fees if it in an out of the way place or loading it is going to be an issue.

Issues include the chassis not being in an open area that one can back right up to it, winch it on the trailer and go in minimum time. All four tires aired up and holding air. All four wheels turn easily, No obstacles in the way of the truck and trailer. I went with my buddy to pick up a car he was hauling for someone about 20 years ago and we ended up having to work about three hours to clean the crap out from in front of it so we could back up to it with the truck and hook a chain on it so we could tow it out to a spot where we could get it on the trailer. Plus air up all four tires. At least we were prepared for that a bit as we had both his and my air tanks and the seller had a compressor in his shop.

As far as renting a trailer, before I bought my trailer I rented one from a local equipment rental outfit for 90.00 a business day. I picked it up late on Friday and took it back early on Monday and only got charged for one day. 4 wheel flatbed equipment hauler that would easily haul 8K. The equipment guys didn't play 20 questions like the U haul guys do and there was no mileage charge.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    TrailerTrashToo and squirrel like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I guess things are different in other places. I’ve got a one ton truck and several trailers. And I have at least four friends with the same and most all of them are willing to take a weekend road trip most any time. I can’t see paying a company big bucks for rental and beating yourself out of a road trip with friends. I ride shotgun once a month, at least! Maybe it’s just a Southern thing?

Bones

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

KCK I personally hate to inconvenience anybody so if the cost is more than a truck rental I would rent a 14' box truck buy 4 2x8 and drive out and get it. I'm, sure a friend would like to go with you for the ride. But that's just me.

Pat

5window and BigDogSS like this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve saved a lot of money and room around my place when I sold my car trailer;). I picked up a engine from a HAMBr the other day as mentioned this. If you don’t have a trailer, you have a bit of “cooling off” period built in when you start to look at logistics of renting or borrowing one as opposed to just hooking up and heading down the road;)

My driveway still is a mess though. Lol

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. KCK71

KCK71

Thanks all, good information and thoughts. While I have a good trailer for hauling parts, I don't normally bring home whole vehicles/frames so have rented U-haul car trailers or tow dollies in the past. I'm normally up for a road trip to get things but with this being a little on the far side for distance, was just thinking about using a hauler. However, with $1.50 to $2 per loaded mile as a possible price, looks like it'll be me making the trip.

14. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

You'll be surprised on how light a rolling chassis is W/O the body/interior/glass/engine/trans. How long is your parts trailer?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

5window and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  16. I have found that if it isn't driveable, that not everybody is interested in messing with it. I would ask for a quote on Youship before you make any decisions.

17. I am in the process of getting a non op car shipped right now, they showed up winch did not work the seller had to pull it up on his truck . Then they charged 100$ more cause it did not run. got to the port late and I have pay storage fee of 175$ . Do it yourself . They hauled my car 1069 miles charged 1700$ got to the port a day late .

18. KCK71

KCK71

Parts trailer is 16' long but only 67 inches wide. Bare frame would fit but couldn't roll a chassis onto it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Front wheel tread on a 54 Chevy car is 56.7 inches center of tire to center of tire. Rear is 58.8.
    If you are after a truck frame it's 56-3/4 front tread and 61 rear tread and that is from center of tire to center of tire on all. If the deck of the trailer is 61 inches wide you should fit. if you have racks you won't make it. You can always block the chassis down on some wood blocks before you cinch it down with th tie downs to keep it from wanting to slip off if that is a worry.

BigDogSS likes this.
  20. My experience with that type of cargo. A guy may be better off in going and getting it themselves. The cost is going to be close to a complete vehicle.
    Vic

trulyvintage likes this.
  21. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

When I bought my '31 coupe from a guy in Sacramento I flew into San Francisco on a Saturday morning , hired a 16 ft PENSKE "one-way" van close to SF airport and drove to Sacramento. The seller was very gracious and allowed me to stay at his place that night. The next morning the owner, some very nice neighbours and I loaded it and the spares into the van and then I headed off to Los Angeles. Had a motel stopover along the way and arrived at the international shippers site on Monday afternoon. They helped with unloading etc and after the paperwork was done I returned the van to an agency near LAX and then caught the 14 hour flight home that night ..... I slept very easily on that flight.
    Can't see why you couldn't do something similar, maybe take a friend for company as suggested before.
    My Coupe 025.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    AHotRod and Hot Rods Ta Hell like this.
  22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Check State laws re tow dolly laws. Most require the towed vehicle to be registered/tagged-or roll the dice. You'll need 2 good tires. Make sure there's grease in the bearings (I found out the hard way once).

Weigh a hired transport cost vs. your cost to go get it, then decide if the cost difference is worth your effort. Will you save $300 or a grand?

If you or a friend have a truck, rent/borrow a trailer and bomb out the trip in a weekend. You could even leave late Friday afternoon and arrive late Fri PM. Come back Saturday.

If you're renting a truck, be sure to confirm you have a deal that includes unlimited mileage-(if that's even still available). It wasn't for me recently.
    Last month I moved my daughter and 2 roommates off to college in the LA area. A 24 hour 15' U Haul with all the mileage came out to just over $300-plus a lot of gas. Left San Diego at 6:00 AM Friday, arrived, spent most of day unloading a full truck, setting up an apartment then drove back. Arrived San Diego 1:00AM Saturday and dropped the keys in key drop=21 hr. day.

Years ago, got an unlimited mileage Penske 16' box truck and drove from San Diego to central Ca. (near Fresno) and back to get a 51 Merc. 650 miles in one day. Left San Diego at 1:00AM (to get through LA w/o traffic) and was parked in front of the guys shop before he arrived to open. Loaded, and headed back. Unloaded, returned the truck and made it to the start of my Son's baseball game @ 6:00PM. Just another day. Sometimes you do crazy shit for this car hobby.

Just Gary and 5window like this.
  23. 5window

5window

That is a very gracious seller. Glad it worked out. I also second Bill's Auto Work's

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  24. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Is this a 1953/4 Chevy a car or a truck?
    1954 Chevrolet car:
    -- Wheelbase is --> 115" or 9' 6".
    -- Track width is --> front: 56.7" , rear: 58.7".
    1954 Chevrolet truck:
    -- Wheelbase is --> 116" or 9' 7". Shortbed. Longer if it is a longbed.
    -- Track width is --> front: 56.6" , rear: 61".
    Looks like plenty of room to me for this rolling chassis to fit on your 16' trailer. If it will not fit on the trailer, width-wise, you could always remove the tires and that should make it fit. Am I missing something?

Call the seller and tell him your dilemma and have him measure the wheelbase, total length and total width and text you the numbers.

I'd have the trailer hooked up to the truck and my friends ready to go!!

25. KCK71

KCK71

Nope, you're not. I brought home the body that needs a frame a couple of weeks ago and that didn't fit on the trailer, but I didn't check the measurements of the bare frame without a body.

BigDogSS likes this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

rear track width of the 54 cars is 58.8, that's through the center of the tires, so you have to add the width of one tire to that to get overall width. As long as the tires are less than 8" wide overall, and the wheels are stock offset, it might just fit.

BigDogSS likes this.
  27. KCK71

KCK71

With the front tread being narrower than the rear, should be OK now that I know the measurements. The wheel fenders of the trailer are the only limiting factor, as the rest of the trailer has open sides. So if it will roll on from the rear and pass the fenders, should be good. Thanks for all of the help!

squirrel, BigDogSS and guthriesmith like this.
  28. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

you can rent a Uhaul trailer one way,i rented one to haul a load of garage doors,didnt want to drag it both ways.Easier on the truck,was no problem doing a different drop off point with Uhaul.I would look into that. harvey

Hot Rods Ta Hell and Boneyard51 like this.