Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AN fittings

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by James Mundstock, Aug 4, 2021.

1. James Mundstock

James Mundstock

What are your favorite brand of AN fittings? I purchased Summit brand and have had issues with fuel leaks on the 90 degree fittings. Thanks in advance for feedback.

chevy57dude likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I usually get Summit brand. But I guess that won't help you...

19Eddy30 likes this.
  3. Years ago I used Russell who was bought up and Aeroquip. I'm still using my old inventory for most things. I have used some Fragola but not any swivel fittings.

4. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

What style 90 fitting ? Hose or Ptfe
    Where is it leaking , taper or hose/Ptfe side .
    I use summit and Jegs brands,
    And name brand .
    The O-ring swivel fittings , all brands are hit or miss if they're going to leak or not ,at least that's my experience.
    Stay away from the cheap one's off Evil bay & Amazon, cheap branded china made , they will crack and the material thickness is not the same .& the aluminum wrenches will not work on those cheap fittings ,the fittings themselves are like a metric size.
    ( For instance a #6 is not a #6 on nut size )
    I Prefer the Ptfe hose , the Standard steel braided rubber breaks down 1-2 years .
    Ethanol compatible starts breaking down in 3-4 years ,
    Cheaper in long run to use Ptfe
    I use sizes from 3-20 AN

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    mad mikey likes this.

5. RmK57

RmK57

I use the cheap ones from ebay. Did my whole fuel system with -8 and -6 fittings and hose. Hasn't leaked a drop in 6 years. No signs yet of the hose breaking down at all. Still flexible, nothing caught in my fuel filter either. I use premium fuel which is not supposed to have any ethanol in it which may help.

I cant say for sure but the Jegs / Summit brand could be made offshore also.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. Jamoke

Jamoke

Use a little anti seize on the inside of the threads that will seal anything and not hurt it

7. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

(Ebay )the ones I tried , just by the weight in my hand I could tell they where not same Quality/ and thickness . I tried 6 & 4 of them cracked @ taper. Size #16 On Female side ,under race / vibration conditions. The Russel & Earls started deteriorating the rubber gas with ethanol ( Gooey / specs of rubber )
    The standard hose ,
    The summit and Jegs are namebrand fittings just marked with Jegs and summits name.

& there are a lot of hose & fitting that are starting to be not compatible with other manufacturers/brands.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Aeroquip
    Russell
    Earls

mgtstumpy, warbird1, dirt t and 3 others like this.
  9. RmK57

RmK57

Just had a quick look and Summit brand are made in the USA. Perhaps a Fragola in disguise?
    They sound like pretty good value for a entry level fitting.

10. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Both Summit and Jegs website are hard to navigate if you stumble up on the right search you can buy packs 10 - 20 at a time a lot cheaper

11. An is the same as JIC hydraulic fittings

areoquip
    Parker
    Eaton
    Just to name a few , wayyyyy cheaper at a hydraulic supplier .

and don’t buy the cheapie Chinese fittings , they like to crack if you over torque them and don’t like being taken on and off without the threads or sealing surfaces taking a right wet and stagnant shit right at the worst time.
    Cheap stuff infuriates me to no end !!

12. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I've had good luck with everything Parker. Quality stuff.

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

37 * JIC fitting Parker Hydraulics

14. Listen to VANDENPLAS, Doublepumper and deathrowdave. Go to a Parker supplier and get quality you can count on. They can supply stainless (may have to order it for you), and have a better selection than you will find in the hotrod world.

15. old chevy

old chevy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Aeroquip and Parker with no issues. Use them on aircraft with no issues is my biggest concerns and required on them. Personally I like the teflon hose due no failures or leaks plus it is more flexible.

19Eddy30 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. Parker and Aeroquip are some of the best, they focus on the industrial markets. The Russel, Earls, Summit they are aluminum and focus on the automotive sector.

19Eddy30 earlier asked where is it leaking from. I didn't find a reply, is it from where it makes up to the male connector or around the hose, or at the swivel?
    I have had success with all the brands, but I will say I have never cross breed brands.

A little lubricant is a good idea, if you anti-seize which in some case increases the K factor. Be careful not to introduce a dissimilar metal. For example Nickle based anti-seize is intended for stainless steel.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  17. lake_harley

lake_harley

I sold a lot of XRP AN fittings over the years to my circle track customers and was never made aware of any issues. Aeroquip has a bit broader line of fittings available it seemed and sometime went to them as a 2nd source but XRP was generally priced slightly lower.

Like a couple others have mentioned, I use a dab of anti-sieze on the male part of flare fittings to make the threaded ends go together easier. On NPT threads, 2 to 3 wraps of teflon tape put on properly has always worked well.

Lynn

18. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have used almost ALL brands in the past on the aircraft I work on. For my cars I use the Summit brand with success....

19. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I use Aeroquip mostly for fuel systems and Parker for brake systems. Never had a problem. I think some of the problems with leaks is from over tightening. I always use a small amount anti seize on threads if it squirts out when tightened in my opinion I have used too much.

chevy57dude likes this.
  20. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Aeroquip, XRP and Russell are the better brands.

Be carefull...as SOME...are NOT up to the correct inner diameter as the AN fitting specifications require.
    You buy a -6 fitting, but the "actual" inner diameter is more in line with a -5 or even a -4 diameter. !

I'm not gonna mention any names so I don't get sued, but believe me, under sized "AN" fittings are out there..!

And yeah, as has been mentioned, buy once, cry once (price wise), but the stainless braided PTFE (Teflon) lines will outlast your car. The stainless braided rubber lines "might" not even outlast one birthday...

Mike

19Eddy30 likes this.
  21. I use Aeroquip and have never had issues, why skimp on something that could possibly burn your car down to the ground ???
    If you don't like the red/blue just wire wheel it off, I just did these. 20210718_171215.jpg
    20210719_162010.jpg 20210721_154212.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    mad mikey, Blade58, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Since my shop caters to the racing industry-- my go to is XRP because while they maintain the standard industry items, they also solve problems with a varying amount of specialized fittings suited to the racing world/ THEY are made next door to the corp offices here in Ca.. Aeroquip is used largely in aircraft because a company that large can afford to document and engrave a FAA number on them (besides their street brand) Working on aircraft the fittings MUST be numbered. My Dad needed a hose assy for his airplane, I could have done it for $35 but with the hose tags and fitting numbers it was $165

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EZ off oven cleaner works good too. I have some clearkote in a brush bottle I use after removing all the coloring..

mad mikey, Blade58 and lake_harley like this.
  24. I bought a generic brand, but it still had the caustic acid in it, and it did nothing after 20 minutes and using a brass brush.
    Plus I was a little skeptical on if it would harm the inner rubber seal on the swivel fittings, so after it didn't work on that junk fitting I decided to wire wheel the fittings I was using.

mad mikey likes this.
  25. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

The anodized is not there for the bling bling, yes you have a choice in colors ,
    The anodize in for corrosion resistance Alky methanol ,ethanol ,nitro.
    In some cases I use JIC , but the weight adds up when you are trying to make a car/ vehicle as light as you can,
    Think a bout weight of a gallon of paint
    You Just added that pulse the weight of the other ingredients needed to lay on paint , but I also realize most here are not into power to weight Ratio and trying to keep total weight under 2,300 pounds .

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    mad mikey and leadsled like this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Since becoming more "traditional" minded I've warmed up to the Endura series of fittings and adapters from Russell, their black anodized fittings look good too.
    upload_2021-8-5_9-28-35.png

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  27. Aeroquip or Parker are all that I've used for automotive, industrial and aircraft...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had a few red and blue fittings, I just spray painted them. So far, so good....

29. works for me though. LOL

There is a place down on the sketchy side of the Kansas City metro called Airparts. they sell all kinds of stuff airplane. Soft sheet aluminum, surplus belts and seats and ect. I digress. They usually have NOS Army/Navy fittings. Good chit especially if you are a purist.

There are a lot of good brands mentioned here and mentioned by men who know. I got an idea that any of them can leak, some are better quality than others. I broke my no spam rule and mentioned airparts just because I know that only the fellas who are stone purists are going to go to the trouble to check them out.

mad mikey and warbird1 like this.
  30. The op, @James Mundstock still here? 1628203293868187228896635615846.jpg
    Russell and Aeroquip for me. Black. It goes with everything.

mad mikey, mcsfabrication and swade41 like this.