Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thread deleted

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I ask about a hidden antenna for a car, I never dreamed that it would be considered OFF TOPIC, radio antenna's did exist before 1964.

It's not like there are ton's of threads on antenna's, although there are a lot of them for sale in the classifieds and a ongoing thread about squirrel tails on antenna.

Radio's have been used in automobiles since In 1924, Kelly's Motors in NSW, Australia, installed its first car radio. In 1930, the American Galvin Manufacturing Corporation marketed a Motorola branded radio receiver for $130. It was expensive: the contemporary Ford Model A cost $540. HRP

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My 47 Lincoln came with a hidden antenna. It was vacuum operated and disappeared into the fender.

Thor1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I realize a antenna is not speed equipment, like a blower or a 4 speed transmission but it is a part that is common to a lot of hot rods and most customs.

How could that be considered off topic?

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I didn't see the thread so I looked it up. It was about amplified antennas. hardly seems like 1965 and older stuff to me.....

5. I always run a regular one under the car, seems to have worked fine for the last 40 years or so on various builds.

6. I have a regular antenna mounted under the car and it doesn't pick up squat, I have been told the amplified hidden antenna is just a antenna wire with a small box that boos the signal.

I suppose it could be considered a grey area, like a 5 speed transmission, it's hidden, but I can live with the ruling. HRP

Lloyd's paint & glass and Thor1 like this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had a 38 Chrysler Royal for a short time years ago. It had an antenna under one of the running boards, passenger side I think. It looked like an aluminum TV antenna you'd see on a house! Two big loops of aluminum tubing. Don't know how well it worked, car was a rusted out project that I never got very far on, just thought the antenna was kinda weird.

Thor1 likes this.
  8. Tried the amplified style once years ago. It came out of the car after a couple days, was totally useless. When I mount mine underneath, I make sure to mount the mast part in rubber lined, line clamps. Don't know if it's necessary, but mine pick up all the local stations just fine.

Thor1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.