Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 66 Chevy 283 issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by objmic, Aug 2, 2021.

1. objmic

objmic

Guys,

I have been re-doing a 66 Chevy C10. It was a barn find and has 89k miles on it. Runs great so I didn't go into the engine. However, I did dress it up with a new valve covers, intake and electronic dist. Didn't finish before I got sick. A year later and doing much better and got it all back together. I also put on a small 600 carb. Had bad gas from sitting to fixed that. Today I started it up and ran it. It blow the radiator hose off the intakes and I thing there is now some water in the oil. I did notice some water coming out of the intake seal. I hope I didn't F this thing up. It had a vent hose from the crank case to the intake manifold port behind the carb and both valve covers are not vented. It was so long since I had taken it apart I just don't remember how it was. It never had any issues with head gaskets. Can someone help point me in the right direction to get her back running correctly? Thank you!

2. squirrel

squirrel

pictures?

Deuces likes this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Never finished tightening things properly?

Deuces likes this.
  4. primed34

primed34

You got your vent hose going to the wrong place. Disconnect it and see if that helps. It needs to go to a port on the carb. I tried venting like that on a 327 and it caused a massive case of negative intake vacuum. I'd check those intake bolts too.

5. primed34

primed34

If no pcv vent to the breather.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are running a hose from the back of the block were the road draft tube went you have to have a PCV valve in the line for it to work. You also have to have the engine vented to let air in so it can go though and out. That's the way it works and it won't work right any other way.
    You don't have to have a hose running from the valve cover to the air cleaner, that is there on stock engines as it is a source of clean air. You can run a breather on the valve cover or you can run a breather cap on the filler neck. You have to have either a filler cap on the valve cover or on the filler neck on the old style intake or you won't be able to put oil in it without a very tiny funnel through the dip stick tube.
    Remember air in, air though and air and fumes out through the PCV to the intake.
    [​IMG]
    Blowing the hose off the thermostat housing most likely means that you didn't tighten the hose clamp. Check all of them and try again. I'd check all of the hose clamps to make sure that they were tight. Make sure that they are actually in the right place too as sometimes you can be too high up on the hose and not actually clamping it to the neck.

Deuces, belair, Blues4U and 1 other person like this.
  7. objmic

objmic

Sure, sorry that might help. I'll take them and post this evening

8. objmic

objmic

I think you're correct on that. The bolts are to spec. I'll shoot some picture this evening

9. objmic

objmic

Those are to spec. I can certainly re-check. Thank you

10. objmic

objmic

I will re-check. I've done a lot of these so I'm not on that. Just seems to be a lot of pressure from some where. I'll add some pics this evening. By the way, I also have a 53 five window blue like the one in your pic. Thank you!

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sorry, I know you're trying to help, but that is not correct, the PCV should be vented to the port at the base of the carb, or to manifold vacuum source, not to a ported source.

12. objmic

objmic

20210803_184749[1].jpg 20210803_184711[1].jpg 20210803_184711[1].jpg 20210803_184711[1].jpg 20210803_184749[1].jpg 20210803_184711[1].jpg
    20210803_184749[1].jpg 20210803_184711[1].jpg 20210803_184650[1].jpg 20210803_184650[1].jpg 20210803_184650[1].jpg

Attached Files:

13. objmic

objmic

Kind of hard to see. But that black hose behind the card goes to the what looks like to be right on top of the bell housing. Both valve covers have plugs with no vents in them.

14. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need a breather on the drivers side valve cover and also check to see if the PCV is flowing the right direction. You should be able to give a quick blow in the threaded side and get the airflow to stop.

15. primed34

primed34

283s have a draft tube. Going from the draft tube to a port in the manifold itself didn't work for me. Caused some massive oiling problems. Disconnected the hose and pcv and that cured the oiling problems.

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Not true. Option
    [​IMG]

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You have to have a pcv conversion for the draft tube, but then you plumb that to manifold vacuum. I don't know what to tell you if it didn't work for you, but all pcv are plumbed to manifold vacuum, not ported.

Deuces and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No baffle would do it.
    [​IMG]

Deuces and Blues4U like this.
  19. Fogger

Fogger

I have two cars with '57 283 engines, both have a pcv connected between the road draft hole at the back of the block to the base of the carburetor. Check what Johnny posted to verify that you have the oil separator canister in the lifter valley. If it's missing you'll suck oil into the intake. Also both my engines have vented oil fill caps on the oil fill tubes.

Johnny Gee and Deuces like this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

This!

21. objmic

objmic

22. objmic

objmic

23. objmic

objmic

Thank you Jonny Gee! Looks like I have the crankcase vent right. You recommend vent caps on both value covers right?

Thank you again JG

24. objmic

objmic

Thank you! I basically just put on a polished intake with a 4 barrel card. The issue must be do to plugging off the air flow on the valve covers. Brain freeze at 59.5

25. squirrel

squirrel

I can't tell if you're aware of the oil fill tube that was originally used on the 1968ish and earlier small block engines? It had a breather cap on it. If you install an intake that does not have this tube, then you need to provide a vent and oil fill opening somewhere else. Usually it's done by adding valve covers with holes in them, with a breather cap.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it looks like folks have been talking about it, but you are kind of ignoring the subject.

intake.jpg

ottoman likes this.
  26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Vent it at both covers if you wish or like Jim pointed out above. Personally I like venting (fresh air in) at the intake because it looks better. But air doesn't care what looks period correct.

27. scoop

scoop

You need an intake with the filler tube like Squirrel is showing or breathers in the valve covers

30tudor likes this.