Register now to get rid of these ads!

Doc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Silva

Silva

RIP, Doc! A kind, generous, person...

2. I'm sorry about your friend. I can't say much, but what I can say is the greatest thing he ever gave you is the stories you'll tell about him. Those will last you the rest of your life. Makes it feel like he's still here...

catdad49, Thor1, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Kinda weird but yesterday while going thru the buffet line at Golden Corral, I saw an older guys shirt. It said : I`m a Doctor. And pictured on it was Doctor Seuss.

catdad49, 41 GMC K-18 and Lil32 like this.
  4. Fuck….RIP Doc

41 GMC K-18 and Lil32 like this.
  5. Lil32

Lil32

Prayers to Family and Friends
    from Aussie

6. Some people make the world a better place, some don't. R.I.P.

Lil32, 41 GMC K-18 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  7. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

I'm sorry for your loss, great story

Lil32 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  8. Jmooreer

Jmooreer

Hi guys and gals,

I've had the privlege to know him for 8 years. I worked alongside him in the er until he got sick. Its great to read these comments but also very sad that we have lost our friend. He was always so encouraging of me and taught me alot of tricks to life. He was a genius when it came to investing and saving. He was a collector of all sorts of collections... guns, knives, shifter knobs, hotrods. We will surely miss him. He leaves behind a wonderful family and grandkids. He did LOVE those grandbabies deeply.

Heres a pic of him at work one night. I would always tell him how bad his food smelled! He cracked open a can of peas and started to eat them straight. No salt. No pepper. No heat. Boy did he make me laugh! What a wonderful man we had the chance to know. 20170118_213051.jpg

Baumi, DeVille Gal, catdad49 and 46 others like this.
  9. mark 55

mark 55

KEVIN'S OBITUARY
    Kevin Charles Huston was born on November 25, 1959, in Burlington, Iowa to Rosa Hardenbrook Huston and Gary Howard Huston.
    He was ushered into the presence of his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ on the evening of August 1, 2021, at the age of 61. He was surrounded by those he loved most “To be absent from the body, is to be present with the Lord.” 2 Cor. 5:8.
    Early in Kevin’s career it became obvious that he was destined for greater things. Beginning his working career at both Wendy’s and Grandy’s restaurants, Kevin quickly worked his way to a position in management. He would go on to embrace the American Entrepreneurial spirit and open his own companies including H&H Investments and Huston’s Gym. At the age of 35, after selling his successful companies, Kevin decided to start from scratch and work his way to following his lifelong dream of becoming a Physician. Kevin shared “I now found myself in the daunting position of picking which fork in the road I must travel down to further my medical education”. Attending LSUS, Kevin would finish getting his four-year degree in two years taking 21 hours a semester. Before starting medical school, Kevin knew exactly what he wanted to practice: emergency medicine. He was accepted into LSUMC in 1992 and completed it in June of 1996. He was awarded a research grant under Dr. Carden in 1993 and 1994. After graduation, Kevin would go on to do a preliminary year in surgery as an emergency room resident at Denver General and was the first to be awarded Surgical Resident of the year for a non-majoring surgical resident. After his emergency medical residency at Denver General, he worked briefly in East Texas at Longview Regional. Kevin would go on to spend the rest of his career with Christus Schumpert and Highland in the emergency department. Throughout his medical career Kevin showed both compassion and kindness to all that came into his life. No matter who you were or from what walk of life you came from, Kevin would be there ready to give his all. In January of 2019 Kevin was diagnosed with stage four colorectal cancer. Though he suffered, he did not let that get in the way of living life with those he loved. Some of his fondest memories were going to Disney World with his beloved daughter and granddaughters and restoring a vintage RV to travel with his wife whom he loved dearly.
    Enough cannot be said for the love he had for his two precious granddaughters; they were Papaw’s girls. Furthermore, he shared a close and loving relationship with his sister Kim. Their relationship was truly one of a kind; like two peas in a pod, they were each other’s backbones, especially during his courageous battle with cancer.
    Kevin was not a half glass empty kind of guy. He was often right and did not have a problem letting you know it. Early on, cycling, movie going, and traveling were some of his favorite hobbies. From racing Vipers, restoring countless classic cars to owning his own vintage fire truck, Kevin loved all things cars. He was an avid member and a legend on the H.A.M.B. Kevin had the handle of “Doc” and “The Skull-Keeper”. He was a great man of faith. Whether it be having deep theological conversations with colleagues, singing in the church choir or teaching Sunday school.
    Of all his accomplishments, by far his greatest was his relationship with his daughter Amanda. From the day she was born they were each other’s world. Throughout her life he was her rock. No words could express how special their relationship was.
    Kevin is preceded by his grandparents, Russ and Harriet Huston, grandmother, Avis Kyler and nephew, Jacob Taylor.
    Kevin is survived by his loving wife Monique (step-son Cameron Snyder); daughter, Amanda Huston Holman; father, Gary Howard Huston and wife Betty; mother, Rosa Foy; sister, Kim Huston Neeson and husband Damon, sister, Terri Pearsall Self, brother, Teddy Pearsall and wife Sandra, and brother, Kent Davis and wife Sue, and numerous nieces and nephews. Most of all his precious granddaughters, Brooklyn Reese Holman, and Addison Hadley Holman.
    A visitation will be held on Wednesday, August 4, 2021, at Osborn Funeral Home from 5 until 7pm. A celebration of life service will be held at Broadmoor Baptist Church on Thursday, August 5, 2021, at 11:00 am, with interment to follow at Forest Park Cemetery.

10. hudson48

hudson48

RIP. Too young at 61.

11. Plowboy

Plowboy

Awful news. He was always great. I hadn’t heard from him in a while, but I always tried to look him up whenever I was able to make it to the roundup. He told me stories about being broke and he definitely was generous once he “made it”. Definitely one of a kind. Pick up the phone and talk to your friends, you never know when it will be the last time.

12. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I haven't posted here in quite some time, but as soon as I heard the news, I knew immediately this is where I needed to be. I met Doc well over 15 years ago through the HAMB. I'd catch up with him in Austin, on the phone, messages etc and he would be sure to keep up with my health after my heart surgery 15 years ago. He reached out again after my mom passed. He was the best of the best. His ginormous heart knew no bounds. We were playing catch up just a couple months back when I learned he was sick. And then he fell. Never a woe is me or a singly ounce of negativity. My heart is heavy, my throat is getting tight and I think there's something in my eyes. This is just heartbreaking news. I love you Doc ... but you already knew that.

das858, catdad49, slim38 and 24 others like this.
  13. HotRod33

HotRod33

I never met Doc but he was the type of person we should all try to be... The world is a better place because of him... Rest easy Doc... See you on the other side some day..

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having a little bit of a tough time with this one. Choked up a little. Strange to have such a feeling of loss for a man I didn't even know. But yes I did. To the extent that I was aware of Doc's presence here, I certainly enjoyed him and his contributions, and I got a sense that Doc knew what the best part of life is... the only thing we take with us when we go... the love that we all share while we're here.
    God bless you, Doc.

I should add...
    Thank you everyone, for sharing some of the stories about Doc and allowing some of us others to understand a little better the kind of person he was.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  15. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for the loss of your friend. I hate to lose the good ones. :(

lothiandon1940, Lil32 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  16. rust&patina

rust&patina

. . GOD BLESS THIS MAN . . he will be truly missed . . GODSPEED DOC . .

lothiandon1940, Lil32 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  17. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Rest Easy Doc…

lothiandon1940 and Lil32 like this.
  18. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Damn, Doc RIP.
    I met him in 2007-08 ish in Austin TX, I think he was at Ryan's house, the night before the roundup. Bob K was there also (correct me if I'm wrong @Ryan). That was the trip where I met everyone, I mean everyone, you name it (Wertheimer, Burwell, Gibbons, Vaughan, Cochran, Ford, Silva, Pratt, Auderer etc etc here I dropped some names).
    Doc was eccentric and I loved that about him, since I'm pretty out there myself.
    We always talked about moving to Austin TX someday and, when I did, in 2013, he was pissed, in a good way :)
    Rest in peace, brother Kevin, we will miss you.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    catdad49, tractorguy, AHotRod and 8 others like this.
  19. Speed~On

Speed~On

Condolences to his family and many friends. He certainly touched so many lives, what an amazing man. God bless you, Doc.

Lil32 likes this.
  20. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

This one really hurts. We knew Doc was sick, but it still never made sense. Guys like Doc in this world should be around forever. He was certainly one of the good one. Such a generous man and a huge supporter of The Kontinentals and the Lonestar Round Up. His memory will be a blessing to all of us and he will be so missed. Sending love and prayers to the family.

catdad49, Lil32, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He was a part of the extensive Hamb family...I Certainly feel a sense of loss but you got to know one you graced with this great platform that brought you together in an ever memorable moment of comradery some time not so long ago...it sounded like a wild time...lucky it wasn't worse...:oops:

Thoughts and condolences to you, the family and friends in the passing of Doc...
    May he Rest in Peace...

Regards,
    Stogy

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Lil32, AHotRod, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  22. I often tell people, sure, it's the cars that initially bring us together, but it's really about the people.

catdad49, 41 GMC K-18, Lil32 and 13 others like this.
  23. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Damnit , RIP Doc !

Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  24. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Godspeed Doc. I didn't know you but you were one of the good ones from what I'm reading.

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have this idea that when we're all finally in heaven, God is going to ask Doc and everybody to take their turn to tell their story.
    Everybody. Every single person.
    And it's going to take forever.

26. Rest in peace my friend, can you just imagine the Hamb meet and great in heaven? HRP

danman55, Lil32, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  27. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Found this pic of Doc and his bestest buddy Norm. Figured I should post it. Austin 2009 I believe.
    Austin 1.jpg

28. I bought the HAMB Bomb Econoline pickup in 2005(?) and Doc was upset that he couldn't make the HAMB Bomb weekender at Bob Owens' when I flew down for the ceremonial handing over of the keys. Doc got in touch with me about it and we stayed in touch afterwards, he was super enthusiastic and supportive about whatever I was planning for the truck. A year or more later when I drove to Austin and hauled the truck back to Atlanta, he insisted on buying me dinner when I passed through Shreveport, my money was simply no good.

I talked to him at a couple of Lonestar Roundups after that, then I moved back to Canada, the HAMB Bomb got sold, and Doc and I didn't communicate as much. Now this news.

I'm glad I got to meet Doc, glad we got to hang out a few times and glad I got to call him my friend.

RIP Doc. Godspeed. Say hi to B:DbK for me.

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief. Such sad news. Like everyone else is saying he was a fabulous guy, so generous and giving.

Lots of awesome memories with Doc with some of my favorite photos below. Not sure how they are going to load but the hopefully 3rd one is of Doc and Chaz, who built the Finkosel, which Doc bought from Chaz. Unfortunately the world lost Chaz this summer as well. Why do all the great ones leave us so soon? It's not fair at all.

You did more for the world in your 61 years then anyone else I know. I'm so proud to have called you my friend and will certainly miss our phone calls.

I'd like to extend my deepest heartfelt condolences to Mark and Kevin's wife along with the rest of his family and legions of friends and colleagues. Rest in Peace my friend.

Ryan....I know exactly how Doc got ahold of you when you broken down on the way to the Cinematic. FB_IMG_1628000957887.jpeg FB_IMG_1628001870229.jpeg Doc%20and%20Chaz.jpeg FB_IMG_1628001878306.jpeg FB_IMG_1628000966116.jpeg Resized_Doc_and_gang_at_Bob_Evans_755463577729676.jpeg Doc%20on%20Truck.jpeg FB_IMG_1628000974628.jpeg Resized_Doc_and_Group_Bob_Evans_755583041283068.jpeg FB_IMG_1628001013705.jpeg

pitman, catdad49, Plowboy and 21 others like this.
  30. Thanks for the pics Denise. Sounds like an amazing dude.

catdad49, 41 GMC K-18, fauj and 2 others like this.